Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs Olean CC (12/30 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

25 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I don’t get this?  How it is a job?

there are easily 500 former high school basketball players from the Buffalo area that go to auB.  You would think they would care and go tot he games...

I have no idea how going to watch a basketball game is a job, but evidently that's what some think is the reason why students don't show up. Instead of being paid to work, I guess I've been paying the last 20 years to go to the job at the AA! Back to work the next 2 days!

27 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I don’t get this?  How it is a job?

there are easily 500 former high school basketball players from the Buffalo area that go to auB.  You would think they would care and go tot he games...

Not sure I ever even saw going to school as a "job". Looking back on it I didn't seem like a job. 

4 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

The Bonnies are the only Big 4 team this decade with a winning record against each of the other 3 members, and the only member to sweep the other 3 in a season (11-12, 14-15, 15-16). Our highest win % is against SUNY-Buffalo (78%), as we've won 7 of 9 meetings against them.

The same Twitter account RTed an account that called UB a safety school for Geneseo.  Not the brightest bulb on the tree hahaha

4 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

Boy what a thread:  

Going to a basketball game is a job?  Bonaventure dictated when this game would be?  Olean bashing?  All very interesting.  Here is something that I found that you may find interesting: 

The Bonnies are the only Big 4 team this decade with a winning record against each of the other 3 members, and the only member to sweep the other 3 in a season (11-12, 14-15, 15-16). Our highest win % is against SUNY-Buffalo (78%), as we've won 7 of 9 meetings against them.

This should get you riled up for Monday.  You are welcome. 

Is there just not a fan forum for Bonaventure? I’m trying to figure out why you comment on here 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:57 AM, skrabukes said:

I've heard that excuse for years. When I went to school there, I still went to all of the games, even over the break. I remember going to a women's game vs. Louisville back in 96 or 97 and there was a total of 20 butts in the stands (it was easy to count them). Now there's a 6 week break, which is  basically 7-8 home games for the season, which is close to half of the home games. I looked at the end zones during the last couple of games and there were single digit student numbers, it's just an excuse. There's plenty of students who live nearby. You don't need a t-shirt giveaway to go to the games, go support your teams and school!

4019945D-4920-4448-A984-756E506C4C08.png

Looking forward to tomorrow's game.  I'm expecting a close one either way.  Don't be fooled by Bona's early season struggles.  They're a much, much different team with Osun in the lineup, and English has been coming on lately as well.  Neutral floor, I'd give Bona the slight edge....you'd hope that the home court would help UB, but you know Bona will bring some vocal fans to negate the home court with UB students on break.

As with any game....which Bulls team will we see?  UB is gonna need some bench production, and gonna need another big performance from Mballa/Hardnett.  They will have their hands full, physically, with Osun and Ikpeze.  Bona does not have the scary size that some teams have, but Osun is a monster and one of the best bigs UB will play all year, alongside guys like Nathan Knight and Paul Reed.  UB has the veteran, been-there-before leadership compared to a Bona team whose top 7 MPG players are all freshman and sophomores, but who knows.

As a Bona non-hater who doesn't really particularly consider them a rival to UB, they've honestly got a very bright future.  I think both of these programs (fingers crossed for UB) are built for long-term success.  Neither has any shot at an at large - unless Bona goes out and runs the table in the A-10 or something, so it's just a good test for both teams heading into conference play.  This Bona team would be one of the top favorites in the MAC this year right up there with UB and the others.  I'll be there tomorrow night....go Bulls.

22 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Bonnies went to the final 4 in a time where all you had to do was win one game and you’re in the final four. 50 years ago. 

I give them the final four because that’s actually impressive, though it was only three wins to get there (whereas now you need a minimum of 4). The hype that they have over an NIT championship 50 years ago is insane. I don’t see Niagara parading around the 1972 NIT runner ups.

Can we stop dedicating this threat to talk about Bonas?  

I really want to see Alumni packed with fans in blue and to bring a sweep of the Big Four.  

Is it realistic to expect AA to be a UB filled crowd?   I want to believe so given all the success the last few years but I can’t help but feel like I am setting myself up to be let down.  

6 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Can we stop dedicating this threat to talk about Bonas?  

I really want to see Alumni packed with fans in blue and to bring a sweep of the Big Four.  

Is it realistic to expect AA to be a UB filled crowd?   I want to believe so given all the success the last few years but I can’t help but feel like I am setting myself up to be let down.  

The students being off definitely doesnt help but I hope there are a lot of our fans and minimal bonnie fans!

Over the years I got really sick of hearing from old fart Little Three fans whenever the topic of basketball came up, "you know, Bonaventure went to the Final Four in 1970."  Again and again, as if you didn't know this.  It once had relevance in a discussion; fifty years later, it no longer does.  It's usually part of a desperate pining for "the way things used to be."  Usually paired with, "in my day, they used to fill the Aud for these games!"  HALF A CENTURY AGO, which is nothing to use to brag about anymore.  Well, the average fan at a Niagara or Canisius game actually IS old enough to remember such things.

Bona fans want to both convince you they're a huge deal (around here) but also poor plucky little Bona (everywhere else).  It's gotten old.

I agree with those who say, no excuses for the poor support the program gets from the student body over break.  Which, by the way, seems to get longer.  It feels like they're gone for a third of the season (thanks to that winter session thing?).  Once upon a time you could say they stunk, or they weren't interesting, but they've won the MAC, gone to the NCAA's 4 of the past 5 years and won a game in the NCAA's the past 2 years.  THAT has current relevance.  The excuses over the years, like "they're not good", "they're boring", kinda like what I hear for football ("I don't like the stadium"), for most people that's crap, it's merely that it's easier to sit at home and watch power 5 conferences on TV.  You had a perennially competitive team for some time; now you have one that's been winning things for several years, you got what you wanted, no more excuses.  How many of these people will make the time and effort over break to go to a day-long Bills game or to a Sabres game, but going to a UB game is too far, no time.

Oh and please get rid of the DJ's in the end zone, what's the nicest way I can put this?....they're not helping.

See?  I made it through the entire post without ripping on Olean.

• Like 1

As for the game itself - it's going to be a good test for two teams trying to find out how good they really are.  Bona usually has a big man inside that is a matchup problem; UB steamrolled them last year with the best Bulls team ever.  I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of turnovers tonight.  It may come down to something simple like who makes their foul shots.  Or really, which team keeps their composure down the stretch in the second half.  Mballa is going to have to stay out of foul trouble, otherwise they may go after Hardnett inside the way Army did.  For this schizophrenic season so far, which UB team is going to show up - the one that lost badly at home to Dartmouth and Army, or the one that beat DePaul on the road?  I really have no idea which.

40 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

As for the game itself - it's going to be a good test for two teams trying to find out how good they really are.  Bona usually has a big man inside that is a matchup problem; UB steamrolled them last year with the best Bulls team ever.  I wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of turnovers tonight.  It may come down to something simple like who makes their foul shots.  Or really, which team keeps their composure down the stretch in the second half.  Mballa is going to have to stay out of foul trouble, otherwise they may go after Hardnett inside the way Army did.  For this schizophrenic season so far, which UB team is going to show up - the one that lost badly at home to Dartmouth and Army, or the one that beat DePaul on the road?  I really have no idea which.

Agree that it will be a good test for us. Really hope to see a large and enthusiastic crowd. A little baffled about how many tickets are available for games. A case in point was the Niagara game!! We had relatives from out of town and when we called for extra tickets for three in a row we were told there were not many available?? Some in the 100’s and 300’s and general admission. I think we only had 2,000- 3,000. I guess many of the season ticket holders did not show up for a number of reasons. Looking forward to UB showing up and playing a great overall game after their holiday break and hoping their practices were productive and the players becoming more comfortable with each other. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, John said:

A little baffled about how many tickets are available for games. A case in point was the Niagara game!! We had relatives from out of town and when we called for extra tickets for three in a row we were told there were not many available?? Some in the 100’s and 300’s and general admission. I think we only had 2,000- 3,000. I guess many of the season ticket holders did not show up for a number of reasons. 

Other schools use digital tickets that can be transferred if the original ticket holder can't attend. that fills some of those otherwise empty seats. 

44 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Wasn’t the Aud only like 10k capacity when they would sell it out for double headers?

I'm an old fart who attended a lot of those basketball games. The Aud was expanded upward around 1971 (my first year at UB) to 17,000 seats for basketball and a few thousand less for hockey. As fun as those games were, I enjoy AA more. It's far more intimate, and I find the energy from you young whipper-snappers contagious. If you respond, please type loud...we old farts are hard of hearing.

Edited by ubfan75
typo
  • Haha 2

I will see some of you there?  Can’t wait to leave my job (which I like) and watch a good game.  This seems like it might be fun. Doesn’t really seem like work.   I know there are two pre game parties for Bona fans so your hopes of not having many of us there might not come through.  I think you will see a very close game. Bona is extremely young.  They have won 7 in a row, but are inconsistent.  If the good Bonnies show up I think we finish the decade 8-2 versus UB. If the so-so Bonnies show up I think we finish the decade 7-3.  

I will go SBU 75-71.  Another bonus for you guys, whichever way this goes is not having to hear from me for another year!  It seems we might play twice next year so that could be fun. 

Edited by Buffalobonnie

1 hour ago, ubfan75 said:

I'm an old fart who attended a lot of those basketball games. The Aud was expanded upward around 1971 (my first year at UB) to 17,000 seats for basketball and a few thousand less for hockey. As fun as those games were, I enjoy AA more. It's far more intimate, and I find the energy from you young whipper-snappers contagious. If you respond, please type loud...we old farts are hard of hearing.

Ha, I'm somewhere in between the whipper-snappers and the old farts. 

35 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Ha, I'm somewhere in between the whipper-snappers and the old farts. 

Our family are young for our age, in our 60’s and now 70’s!!! Not sure what that category that puts us in. We have been rabbit basketball fans and we went to all the Aud games  and when it was a full house it was loud. We went to some Niagara games a number of years ago when they had a good exciting group of players and when that place was full it was a great atmosphere. Alumni the last few years has been great with a full house especially with the students and we are looking forward to I hope to some full houses. As long as the team can play competitive and winning games it should be an exciting place and atmosphere. Looking forward to tonight’s game and our whole family will be there. We can only hope the officiating will not affect the outcome. GoBulls!!!!