Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs Olean CC (12/30 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

That was a great game an atmosphere.  It would be great if we could have more games like that.  The visitors fans and having a team come in with real talent was such a nice change.   

If we had a few more games like that every year we would be retaining a lot more fans.  But I suppose that is the difference between the A10 and the MAC.  They will be a middling A10 team and we will be at the top of the MAC so at the end of the year we will have even more bragging rights but I can’t help be envious of them getting more games like last nights. 

14 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

That was a great game an atmosphere.  It would be great if we could have more games like that.  The visitors fans and having a team come in with real talent was such a nice change.   

If we had a few more games like that every year we would be retaining a lot more fans.  But I suppose that is the difference between the A10 and the MAC.  They will be a middling A10 team and we will be at the top of the MAC so at the end of the year we will have even more bragging rights but I can’t help be envious of them getting more games like last nights. 

Do agree. The atmosphere was like some of the MAC games last year. It is always better when you are playing a team with above average and athletic players. Bonnies are definitely playing with confidence. With Lofton, Welsh, and their big center and some decent role players they should only improve. Our family tries to take in at least one Bona home game because the atmosphere there is always a great atmosphere. Go Bulls!!!

Oats was building something special. There was real momentum. His leaving was a set back. Hopefully this team will get better and play exciting basketball the rest of the season perhaps winning the MAC tourney. That more than anything by continuing the programs success will do more than anything to bring more fans and loyal fans. Before with Reggie team was usually a non contender with a couple of exceptions over his tenure. Combine that with playing MAC teams there was little opportunity to grow the program and build a winning culture and tradition. After Reggie we’ve seen consistently and unprecedented success. That’s what it takes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Well I went and checked KenPom to see how much we moved up.  

We didnt.  We remain ranked behind St Bona.  Must be the home court advantage or something weighted it so it didn’t help us. 

Kenpom is a joke. They have some subjective numbers in there. I prefer the new NET over Kenpom now.

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

Oats was building something special. There was real momentum. His leaving was a set back. Hopefully this team will get better and play exciting basketball the rest of the season perhaps winning the MAC tourney. That more than anything by continuing the programs success will do more than anything to bring more fans and loyal fans. Before with Reggie team was usually a non contender with a couple of exceptions over his tenure. Combine that with playing MAC teams there was little opportunity to grow the program and build a winning culture and tradition. After Reggie we’ve seen consistently and unprecedented success. That’s what it takes. 

This just seems like an unnecessary attack on Whitesell the day after he accomplished something no Buffalo coach has ever done, go a perfect 3-0 against the Big 4.  Oats didn't do that, Hurley didn't do that, and well Reggie sure didn't do that.

Everyone here does realize we don't have Josh Mballa on this team with Oats as head coach.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

This just seems like an unnecessary attack on Whitesell the day after he accomplished something no Buffalo coach has ever done, go a perfect 3-0 against the Big 4.  Oats didn't do that, Hurley didn't do that, and well Reggie sure didn't do that.

Everyone here does realize we don't have Josh Mballa on this team with Oats as head coach.  

I'm not sure that I took the post as an attack on Whitesell.  He's done a great job since being named head coach. 9-4 is great to start!

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Obviously the A-10 is a better conference than the MAC, but I am hoping that the last few years have finally brought UB more into the MAC fold.  In my view, UB has been one of the odd-men-out with no real rivals in-conference.  The last few years' successes have established UB as a top player in the conference for basketball, and this year with a wide-open MAC race, I'm hoping we can get some excitement in-conference.  Akron and Kent look good.  UB spoiled BG's dream year last year, and lost to them on the road.  Ohio is on the upswing with a hot new coach.  All of these teams will be coming to Alumni this year (like they do every year, because they're all in the East).  UB will draw plenty of fans in their road games, and hopefully the atmosphere in Alumni is just as good for the home games.

30 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Cohane went 3-0 against them in 96-97, Young and Martinho's junior years.  Oats' team would've last year if the Niagara game was on the schedule.  And there were some years in there where Bona was supposedly too cool to come up here anymore.

UB85 - I'm with BullBoy, I don't get the negativity right now.  Oats and Hurley were never going to stay here 25 years and build dynasties.  And once Reggie's Bulls got going by 03-04, 7 of the next 10 seasons they had 17 or more wins.  Definitely competitive, but they didn't finish the job.  All of these guys made positive contributions towards building the program and they should all be celebrated for doing so.  All of them left the program in better shape than when they started - and that right there might be the definition of "progress".  This year's team is a work in progress, with so much turnover, and going into MAC play I like where they're at.

Edited by enrique14150

1 minute ago, enrique14150 said:

Also, I'm not all that convinced that the A-10 is that great anymore.  At the end of last year, the RPI rankings had the MAC 9th and the A-10 11th.  Most teams that get good in the A-10 have swiftly moved on somewhere else.  I don't think it's what it used to be.

Not sure if it is arrogance or ignorance, I consider a move to the A-10 more of a lateral move than anything. Maybe our sights are further out. I would rather stay in the MAC and continue to build and aim for a Power 5 then move to the A-10 and get stuck for a longer time.  

3 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Also, I'm not all that convinced that the A-10 is that great anymore.  At the end of last year, the RPI rankings had the MAC 9th and the A-10 11th.  Most teams that get good in the A-10 have swiftly moved on somewhere else.  I don't think it's what it used to be.

I’m not sure why we care about A10. We are never giving up football in order to move to the A10. 

3 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Hm,

Well thats because Niagara wouldn't play UB. Mainly because we wouldn't pay them, as I heard it. So that's kind of a moot point. UB absolutely mollywopped SBU last year.

Also, i see validity in all signs of the argument. Whitesell has done a good job of keeping the team together, but the low energy and so far and an inability to adjust has cost him some bad losses. The defense has been much much worse this season, with a bigger team. 

So far, I'd still think its an edge to Oats' class of Allen (hurt), Hawkins, Cadwell (hurt), N. Williams, and Rojas (hurt)

Mballa has been a stud, but the rest of the class has heavily underperformed. Gallon and Skogman aren't playing.

Plus technically the team doesn't have a recruiter and isn't seeking players for the last spot (or maybe up to 3 based on transfers) at the moment. 

Interested to see how MAC play goes.

I disagree.  Now I am not saying move to the A10 because I don’t want to be like UMass with football (and I don’t know if the A10 would want us) but the A10 is significantly better than the MAC. 

The A10 always gets multiple bids.  Last year was a down year for them and it was an up year for the MAC.  That’s why we looked comparable.  Move last year’s UB team out of the MAC and compare it to the A10 and there is no comparison.  That’s the problem with your comparison of the conferences.  UB can’t play themselves in conference so you have to compare the conferences without UB.  Add UB to the A10 last year and the A10 is even better. 

There is no comparison.  There isn’t one MAC team in the KenPom top-100.  There are 7 teams in the A10 in the top-100.  

And for those that don’t like KenPom and try to say NET is better because it ranks MAC teams higher early in the year... there is only one MAC school in the top-80 but there are five A10 schools. 

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I disagree.  Now I am not saying move to the A10 because I don’t want to be like UMass with football (and I don’t know if the A10 would want us) but the A10 is significantly better than the MAC. 

The A10 always gets multiple bids.  Last year was a down year for them and it was an up year for the MAC.  That’s why we looked comparable.  Move last year’s UB team out of the MAC and compare it to the A10 and there is no comparison.  That’s the problem with your comparison of the conferences.  UB can’t play themselves in conference so you have to compare the conferences without UB.  Add UB to the A10 last year and the A10 is even better. 

There is no comparison.  There isn’t one MAC team in the KenPom top-100.  There are 7 teams in the A10 in the top-100.  

And for those that don’t like KenPom and try to say NET is better because it ranks MAC teams higher early in the year... there is only one MAC school in the top-80 but there are five A10 schools. 

Do believe the A-10 is the better overall conference with more higher profile teams that seem to get more media coverage. Do think the A-10 would be a better conference but in all honesty I don’t think it will ever happen for us for many of reasons that have already been stated. Go Bulls!!!!

Cohane went 3-0 against them in 96-97, Young and Martinho's junior years.  Oats' team would've last year if the Niagara game was on the schedule.  And there were some years in there where Bona was supposedly too cool to come up here anymore.

UB85 - I'm with BullBoy, I don't get the negativity right now.  Oats and Hurley were never going to stay here 25 years and build dynasties.  And once Reggie's Bulls got going by 03-04, 7 of the next 10 seasons they had 17 or more wins.  Definitely competitive, but they didn't finish the job.  All of these guys made positive contributions towards building the program and they should all be celebrated for doing so.  All of them left the program in better shape than when they started - and that right there might be the definition of "progress".  This year's team is a work in progress, with so much turnover, and going into MAC play I like where they're at.

Snooze. You both miss the point. New coach. New players. Jim has to maintain and perhaps recreate Oats’ type momentum and consistency. That’s not negativity. That’s a fact. Will he? Let’s hope. But if you want to build something you need continuity and success. That’s what brings in more fans and keeps fans going to games. Enrique and most here will go to games regardless. If we’re able to build a winning tradition then they will come. And stay! 

As for going 3-0 against the little three, fantastic. But beating Canisius and Niagara is like defeating Daemen. We should do so sleep walking. 

17 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Hm,

Well thats because Niagara wouldn't play UB. Mainly because we wouldn't pay them, as I heard it. So that's kind of a moot point. UB absolutely mollywopped SBU last year.

Also, i see validity in all signs of the argument. Whitesell has done a good job of keeping the team together, but the low energy and so far and an inability to adjust has cost him some bad losses. The defense has been much much worse this season, with a bigger team. 

So far, I'd still think its an edge to Oats' class of Allen (hurt), Hawkins, Cadwell (hurt), N. Williams, and Rojas (hurt)

Mballa has been a stud, but the rest of the class has heavily underperformed. Gallon and Skogman aren't playing.

Plus technically the team doesn't have a recruiter and isn't seeking players for the last spot (or maybe up to 3 based on transfers) at the moment. 

Interested to see how MAC play goes.

Are you basing the edge on player potential? With all the players in Oat’s class injured and the fact Hawkins has barely got off the bench I guess it is based on the recruiting status. Until all these players start playing in games it is total speculation. A good case is with Johnson and Grant that the potential was there that they were going to help and step right in and help us. Neither has come close to playing competitive ball. Go Bulls!!!

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Are they promoting from within? Off the top of my head, Fox is DOBO but seems to have more of a role than a typical DOBO normally has.

2 hours ago, John said:

Are you basing the edge on player potential? With all the players in Oat’s class injured and the fact Hawkins has barely got off the bench I guess it is based on the recruiting status. Until all these players start playing in games it is total speculation. A good case is with Johnson and Grant that the potential was there that they were going to help and step right in and help us. Neither has come close to playing competitive ball. Go Bulls!!!

Are you crediting Johnson and Grant to Oats whom brought them in and coached them through a year of practices or Whitesell whom has an off-season and an OOC so far (as head coach that is..). I’m confused what point your making.

I’m just gonna say a few things.

The A-10 is a better basketball league than the MAC. Not even an argument. 

We’ve been better than Bona the last 5 years. Both men’s and women’s basketball teams. I think that goes without saying. 

Don’t look now but Oats has Alabama playing well, on a win streak, as they head into conference play. 

1 hour ago, MillenniumBull said:

Are you crediting Johnson and Grant to Oats whom brought them in and coached them through a year of practices or Whitesell whom has an off-season and an OOC so far (as head coach that is..). I’m confused what point your making.

Not trying to make any big points other than in my opinion are you basing an edge to Oat’s based on what? The majority of those players have not played or are injured. Just saying potential is just that because you never know how the players are going to perform against D1 quality players. Johnson and Grant were here last year under Oats although both redshirted. Still hopeful Grant and Johnson can contribute in some way this year. Go Bulls!!!!

14 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

This is not to trigger anything as some of my posts are, but is there ever any consideration of getting rid of football and trying to join a conference like the Atlantic 10?  Playing teams like VCU, Dayton, and Davidson is fun.  The teams from the A-10 would be a lot better draw than your MAC slate.   You would also have a natural rival built in.  Is football giving you enough to justify the expense?  Just asking. 

I will let you guys discuss and i will be back again next year.  Go Bills! 

It's old... But here is some of the reason we stay in the MAC, yes it makes financial sense. 

Incidentally this was made when Bucky and Sully at TBN were saying UB should drop to do FCS football and be in the A10... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m just gonna say a few things.

The A-10 is a better basketball league than the MAC. Not even an argument. 

We’ve been better than Bona the last 5 years. Both men’s and women’s basketball teams. I think that goes without saying. 

Don’t look now but Oats has Alabama playing well, on a win streak, as they head into conference play. 

Sorry, but it absolutely does not “go without saying” that UB men have been better than Bona’s the last 5 years.

2015- UB wins The one bid MAC.   Bona finishes 7th in a 4 bid A10, which also had 2 NIT teams.   Bona beats UB in their matchup.   Nothing suggests UB is “better”, they simply win a far lesser league.  Consensus: Bona 

2016- Bona wins the A10 regular season in a 3 way tie with VCU and Dayton, and gets absolutely screwed in the selection process, a consensus all time snub.   The A10 sends 3 teams to the dance and 3 more to the NIT.  UB as a 4 seed has a Cinderella run to the Mac title.   Bona beats UB in their matchup.   That’s not UB being better, that’s UB winning an again inferior conference tournament .  Consensus; Bona 

2017- Bona beats UB handily, neither team really comes close to an ncaa berth.   A10 sends 3 teams, MAC one.   Consensus: Bona clearly the  better team  

2018 - Bona beats UB by 8 on the road with a one legged Jaylen Adams, Ub is missing Wes Clark.   Call that a wash.   Bona gets screwed into a play in game, but beats the PAC 12 UCLA anyway.   UB, beats Arizona (a team who lost at home to UCLA less than a month earlier).   Call that a wash.   Both teams after beating PAC 12 teams get throttled by a team from the SEC (Florida and Kentucky respectively.  Call that a wash.   Consensus: a wash. 

2019: Ub throttles Bona, clearly a better team.  Makes the dance.   Even when Bona was healthy and got to the A10 finals, UB clearly the better teAm.   They have a strong showing in the dance with the PAC 12 win.   Consensus: UB

2020: UB wins.  All computer numbers and the game itself suggest a return Match at Bona’s could go in Bona’s favor.   Consensus: even, slight edge to UB.  

Notice bona got screwed 2 times, meanwhile UB of their 4 tourney appearances only had one that was even remotely at large worthy.  

UB has had great success the last 5 years.   It’s flatly ignorant to claim it as unmistakably better than Bona’s, however. 

• Haha 1