Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs Olean CC (12/30 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Aren’t they really bad at every sport that isn’t basketball?  

Didn't look into the meet based sports (i.e. swimming/diving and track), but they had a losing record in literally every sport listed with a record on their athletics site besides MBB and many were closer to winless than .500.  They even list their rugby team which isn't NCAA sanctioned and they having a losing record in that as well.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Aren’t they really bad at every sport that isn’t basketball?  

I don't know enough about some of the individual competitor sports (track, swimming, etc) but for the others:

Baseball (RIP): 46-40 all time, but we suck and dropped the sport Bona, I guess

Men's Soccer (RIP): 24-9-3 all time, see above Buffalo

Women's Soccer: 16-14-2 all time, we lost this year, recently we won more than we lost Push

Men's Tennis: 39-19 all time, haven't lost to Bona since 08-09 but haven't played them recently.  Bona also hasn't had a winning season in a decade or more. Buffalo

Women's Tennis: 16-21 all time, but Bona hasn't won since 2000, and hasn't won a match since 2015 (3 straight 7-0 shutouts) Buffalo

Softball: 20-15 all time, both schools are pretty bad but we're a little less bad Buffalo

Volleyball: our media guide doesn't list an all time record but we dominate the series and Bona dropped volleyball 

1 hour ago, John said:

The Bona game was terrible at the concessions with long, long lines with many fans upset at wait times. No small kiosks or vendors selling pop, popcorn etc. No decent traffic control at the Millersport entrance to let a large number of cars in, no signal control. If UB truly wants to make this a destination for fans to want to come to games they need to do something. I think this was brought up last year but I don’t think anyone in admistration are looking around or listening to fans. Go Bulls!!!!!

It's like that for every big game.  Last Bona game we had here was on a Saturday and it took forever to get out.  Certain lots should be right turn only when leaving like the Stadium lot.

I think we're a bit limited on what can be done on the concession stand side, but on a positive note we do accept credit cards.  Also not sure if everybody knows but there are concessions and two men's and two women's restrooms upstairs.

9 hours ago, rma said:

It's like that for every big game.  Last Bona game we had here was on a Saturday and it took forever to get out.  Certain lots should be right turn only when leaving like the Stadium lot.

I think we're a bit limited on what can be done on the concession stand side, but on a positive note we do accept credit cards.  Also not sure if everybody knows but there are concessions and two men's and two women's restrooms upstairs.

This is a good problem to have.  But I don’t see the admin doing anything about a problem that happens once a year.  

12 hours ago, rma said:

The concessions upstairs were just as bad as downstairs with no individuals selling anything and the comment it happens once a year is wrong. Anytime we have close to 4-6 thousand it is not a good situation on all fronts. Can only hope someone at UB is listening and can make some decisions. Go Bulls!!!!

3 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

So... there are longer lines when there are... more people?

There should be somethings that can be done to help the overall situation and we will attempt to talk to some UB admin. Or send some suggestions and see if we get any response. WE have talked to UB people over the years but have not seen any changes. I know there is only so much that can be done with the limited space etc and we do think it is a great venue and great atmosphere with the team winning. Go Bulls!!!!

22 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Bona was ranked around 90 in the metrics, rank 56th with a negative wins above bubble (resume metric) with 9 teams with better resumes also missing the tournament.  You might agree that you were an all-time snub on Bona boards but by predictive metrics and resume metrics you weren't even close. 

What metrics are you using?  The ones after the NIT where they lost at home or the ones on selection Sunday?  I seem to recall them projected to be in the field by a lot of rankings.  I only remember because I was happily surprised when they didn't get in since I wanted us to get all of the media attention.  And it worked.  We got all the press when they were left out.

I just went and looked up the Dance Card which has projected the field based on historic criteria.  They projected them to make the field. https://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance2016.htm

As I have said, I consider the two programs to be pretty equal.  The head-to-head is the ultimate way to decide, in my opinion and we now have a two game win streak.  In addition we don't have any little Catholic school losses this year like they do. 

With that said, I have no doubt that it is harder to win a conference with VCU, Dayton, Davidson, Rhode Island, and Saint Louis than it is with Akron, Kent State, Bowling Green and Ohio.  And frankly, I would rather have some more losses if it meant getting home games against at-large tournament teams.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:10 AM, John said:

The concessions upstairs were just as bad as downstairs with no individuals selling anything and the comment it happens once a year is wrong. Anytime we have close to 4-6 thousand it is not a good situation on all fronts. Can only hope someone at UB is listening and can make some decisions. Go Bulls!!!!

Key Bank arena has 1 concession per 500 seats, and you might even argue that is inadequate. AA has about 1 concession per 1500 seats. The building is not designed to expand concessions.  I’m pretty sure there’s no major fix for the traffic problem after the games, but having one way traffic would help for sure.