Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UConn in our future

Bull_In_Exile

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think a rivalry can be "stirred up" as such. The good ones happen organically and when the two teams have some common thread other than "they are rivals". The best place for us to start is in Conference

I think the MAC needs to do a couple of things to help out

1 - Have a set rivalry week at the end of October, before MACtion... We would get one of the Michigan schools (* - Cross division)

• Kent - Akron
  • Toledo - Bowling Green *
  • Buffalo - EMU *
  • NIU - Ball State
  • Miami - Ohio
  • WMU - CMU

This way we maximize the chance that students and fans can participate by having the games on a Saturday afternoon, before it's too crappy weather wise, and in somewhat geographically compact / historical pairings. 

2 - Each of those games is a trophy game, for the pairings without one the schools or fan bases should suggest one and the conference should commission it

--

Out of conference, if Buffalo want's to do something, it's going to need to be regional and start with an annual 2:2 or 3:3 series. So Temple, UMass, UConn are the options. I'd rather it not be UMass, but they *could work*. UConn has better proximity to UB and NYC, has more name pull, and they are going to be just as deserpate for OOC games in the near future.

Temple would be ideal, I feel like a lot of the emotion is already there, but I don't think they want to tie up 25% of their OOC games for the next 4-6 years. 

1 hour ago, Bull_In_Exile said:

I don't think a rivalry can be "stirred up" as such. The good ones happen organically and when the two teams have some common thread other than "they are rivals". The best place for us to start is in Conference

I think the MAC needs to do a couple of things to help out

1 - Have a set rivalry week at the end of October, before MACtion... We would get one of the Michigan schools (* - Cross division)

• Kent - Akron
  • Toledo - Bowling Green *
  • Buffalo - EMU *
  • NIU - Ball State
  • Miami - Ohio
  • WMU - CMU

The problem with this is schedule rotation.  The only cross division game that may be played every year is Bowling Green - Toledo because of geography.  All other cross division games are on a rotation basis so that everybody plays everybody home and away with in a certain time frame.

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

The problem with this is schedule rotation.  The only cross division game that may be played every year is Bowling Green - Toledo because of geography.  All other cross division games are on a rotation basis so that everybody plays everybody home and away with in a certain time frame.

Point 1: The BG / Toledo game is not played every year because geography, it's played every year because it's BG/Toledo. Buffalo is closer to EMU than Miami or Ohio, it's about on par with our distance BG.

So let's throw "geography" out the window here, thats a complete red herring. 

Point 2: There is already one cross over division game set per year and both participants "Bowling Green and Toledo" still play a rotation on all the other games. We played 6 games in the east for years while Temple (and then UMass)  was in the MAC. There is no reason one "set west" game would keep the MAC from using UB's other two West division games per year from rotating through.

With an annual game vs EMU

In this scenario since we play EMU every year, we could do a full West rotation (home and road) every five seasons

Y1: @CMU vs WMU

Y2: @ NIU vs BSU

Y3: @ TOL vs CMU

Y4: @WMU vs NIU

Y5:  @BSU vs TOL

Without EMU every year

To do the full rotation without a set EMU and three West games we would need four seasons even

Y1 @EMU vs WMU vs CMU

Y2 @NIU vs BSU vs TOL

Y3 vs EMU @WMU @CMU

Y4 vs NIU @BSU @TOL

===

You're talking about, in a decade, a difference of *1* game against five teams in the west. BG and Toledo have been doing this for years, and it's not hurt the MAC a bit.

With EMU Game

EMU - 10 game

REST - 4 games

Without EMU Game 

vs ALL - 5 games

---

This is not schedule breaking stuff that would hurt UB or the MAC. But it *COULD* at least start to better bring UB into the MAC culture.

How about calling up our Bahamas Bowl buddies the Charlotte 49ers? Seriously, why shouldn't we play a few C-USA schools and get home & homes?  EDIT: We have ODU for a there-and-there 2021 and 2023. Actually we don't have an OOC opening till 2024.   https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/buffalo/

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 2