Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB versus Dartmouth - the future looks bright

ubfan75

Fair is definitely a challenging match-up for teams. Gaba just keeps getting better and fitter. Schiffer was the beneficiary of some nice guard ball-handling and knocked down the corner 3s. Played without Christie who's still in a boot. 

They are a VERY fit team, tough to handle for 40 minutes. Considering they've been without Summer all year (and may continue to do so), it's been one heck of a job by FLJ and staff. 2 years ago, the Aussie crew + Cassie graduate, we think that they may take a step backwards, they don't. Last year, Cierra and crew graduates, the team has to take a step back, especially without Summer...they don't seem to be, and look to be set up for very long term success.

1 minute ago, skrabukes said:

Fair is definitely a challenging match-up for teams. Gaba just keeps getting better and fitter. Schiffer was the beneficiary of some nice guard ball-handling and knocked down the corner 3s. Played without Christie who's still in a boot. 

They are a VERY fit team, tough to handle for 40 minutes. Considering they've been without Summer all year (and may continue to do so), it's been one heck of a job by FLJ and staff. 2 years ago, the Aussie crew + Cassie graduate, we think that they may take a step backwards, they don't. Last year, Cierra and crew graduates, the team has to take a step back, especially without Summer...they don't seem to be, and look to be set up for very long term success.

Do agree. The total team effort has been outstanding. Walters and Adeyeye have improved and are both contributing especially on the rebounding side. Gaba seems to be more comfortable with each game. Hamilton is still struggling shooting but has contributed rebounding. Schiffer hopefully will start to hit more shots as she becomes more comfortable against D1 competition. If we continue to get solid contributions from Hall, Onwuka and Fair this can be another exciting season. As a first year player Fair is a must see who should only improve with more experience. I can only hope the word is getting out to come see this team. Go Bulls!!!!

I hate to say this because I do believe she is is really good, I just hate watching Dyashia Fair play basketball. I thought the way she treated Dartmouth in the final minute of today’s game was disgraceful. You are up 20 points, just run out the clock. There is no reason to rub it in against an opponent like that. 

Maybe I am in the minority, but it just seems to go against everything else this team stands for. 

20 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

I hate to say this because I do believe she is is really good, I just hate watching Dyashia Fair play basketball. I thought the way she treated Dartmouth in the final minute of today’s game was disgraceful. You are up 20 points, just run out the clock. There is no reason to rub it in against an opponent like that. 

Maybe I am in the minority, but it just seems to go against everything else this team stands for. 

Hope Coach Jack talks to her and she learns to play the entire game the right way.  She has abundant talent but it has to b channeled in the right direction. Go Bulls!!!!

21 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Dartmouth came out with a full court press with less than a minute left.  If they're playing hard in garbage time, we can too.  Don't think Coach Jack was too happy with that last play, however I understood why she did it.

That being said, Fair was within striking distance of a triple double, and just missed a double double by one rebound.  Though she takes a ton of shots, she does a decent job on defense and getting shots set up for her teammates.

31 minutes ago, rma said:

Dartmouth came out with a full court press with less than a minute left.  If they're playing hard in garbage time, we can too.  Don't think Coach Jack was too happy with that last play, however I understood why she did it.

That being said, Fair was within striking distance of a triple double, and just missed a double double by one rebound.  Though she takes a ton of shots, she does a decent job on defense and getting shots set up for her teammates.

You can still play hard until the final horn without putting up shots but as I said it should be a learning experience for a young player with unlimited potential. Go Bulls!!!!

16 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

So she took 17 shots in three quarters then. 22 points should be easy when you take that make shots. 
Serious question...does she lead the nation in shots taken?

She's listed as 5th in the nation in shots.  Regardless, she created a lot of great opportunities for her teammates over the final 3 quarters today. Schiffer doesn't get those open looks from the corner without her and Hall creating them, the open layups by a few today were great as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BullBoy said:

I won't make excuses for that play, but you never know. Could have been been a brain cramp, could have been coaches, could have been a response to a comment made by an opponent. You just never know.

When you are a team playing for a potential at-large bid, every point counts...I believe Oats said something like that a year or two ago.

This isn't middle school...if the opposition is still playing hard, you still play hard. Could she have been taken out of the game with a minute to play, sure, but that is on the staff not the player. If you are still in the game, you play hard. Not playing hard on the floor creates more bad habits than "rubbing it in."

Also, to say you do not like the way Fair plays...what would you prefer? A less athletic, less confident, less skilled player who contributes fewer points, makes fewer good passes and opens up fewer easy shots for her teammates? If that was the case, UB would be a much worse team.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

When you are a team playing for a potential at-large bid, every point counts...I believe Oats said something like that a year or two ago.

This isn't middle school...if the opposition is still playing hard, you still play hard. Could she have been taken out of the game with a minute to play, sure, but that is on the staff not the player. If you are still in the game, you play hard. Not playing hard on the floor creates more bad habits than "rubbing it in."

Also, to say you do not like the way Fair plays...what would you prefer? A less athletic, less confident, less skilled player who contributes fewer points, makes fewer good passes and opens up fewer easy shots for her teammates? If that was the case, UB would be a much worse team.

Great comment. Cannot fathom why anyone would critique a true first-year starter who flat out plays. She may end up being the greatest player ever to play at UB. 

12 hours ago, BullBoy said:

So she took 17 shots in three quarters then. 22 points should be easy when you take that make shots. 
Serious question...does she lead the nation in shots taken?

Serious question: do you think Cierra Dillard took a lot of shots?

they probably have very similar career shooting % 

only difference is that Fair is in the first year. 

11 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

Great comment. Cannot fathom why anyone would critique a true first-year starter who flat out plays. She may end up being the greatest player ever to play at UB. 

Agree with the comments above by ubbulls08 and TML1000. She is just in her first year but the first time we seen her we all said we had not seen a player with the overall athletic ability she has except for a few UB players. The players and coaches have to know who are the best players on the team and play the game to those strengths. The only player on the team that should possibly take more shots is Onwuka. There players all over the country that are the best players on a team and they are not asked to take less shots. Dillard was a great player but she did not stop taking shots even if she had a tough game. She helped her team in other ways just like Fair does and will in the future with her passing, rebounding and overall play. I only hope more fans will come out to see this team and how Coach Jack makes decisions in games especially without Summer. It is exciting to see the improvement of many of these players and how the MAC season will play out. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

I thought the crowd was decent for a Sunday afternoon during holiday week during a Bills game. Hoping for a good turnout on the 11th against Ohio after hopefully getting a pair of road wins to start off MAC play. Attendance has been between 1200-1500 for all of the regular games thus far, hopefully we can push that over 2000 for the weekend conference games and the CMU game on 1/29.

1 hour ago, TML1000 said:

I thought the crowd was decent for a Sunday afternoon during holiday week during a Bills game. Hoping for a good turnout on the 11th against Ohio after hopefully getting a pair of road wins to start off MAC play. Attendance has been between 1200-1500 for all of the regular games thus far, hopefully we can push that over 2000 for the weekend conference games and the CMU game on 1/29.

Do agree that it usually takes the MAC home games to have increased fan interest and attendance. I believe overall we averaged around 2,200 for all our home games last year. Some of the home MAC games were in the 2,000-3,000 attendance. What is still disappointing is the student attendance that has been just a handful of true blue students. Why more peer pressure can not be put onto the students is hard to understand. To some degree I could understand if the team had no star power or a non-competitive team like how the other local teams are, To be honest the home games for the women have been more exciting than the men’s games and hope attendance increases in the upcoming home games. Go Bulls!!!!

59 minutes ago, John said:

Do agree that it usually takes the MAC home games to have increased fan interest and attendance. I believe overall we averaged around 2,200 for all our home games last year. Some of the home MAC games were in the 2,000-3,000 attendance. What is still disappointing is the student attendance that has been just a handful of true blue students. Why more peer pressure can not be put onto the students is hard to understand. To some degree I could understand if the team had no star power or a non-competitive team like how the other local teams are, To be honest the home games for the women have been more exciting than the men’s games and hope attendance increases in the upcoming home games. Go Bulls!!!!

This is still amazing for WBB.  If you look back at photos taken early in FLJ's career at UB the stands are empty.  I'd love to see people need to sit in the 300's for WBB games, but it's going to take some time.  FLJ built a culture of winning out of nothing.

1 minute ago, ubfan75 said:

What was the cause?

She got scratched just above the eye/outer edge of eyebrow (looked like while going after a rebound/loose ball - I forget which, no foul, came down on D pointing to the ref that she was dripping blood and then the ref blew the whistle once Dartmouth secured an offensive rebound and wasn't in imminent position to score).

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 9:59 AM, TML1000 said:

I believe Oats was referencing "offensive efficiency", a statistic used by the selection committee. That is why so many teams keep several starters or hot shooters on the court in garbage time.