Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs NIU (1/4 @ 2:00 pm)

Jeseph

From the glass half full department: As others have stated, this team is capable of beating or losing to any MAC team. I think we’ll see them to do that with regularity throughout the season. Anything from a 9 win to a 12 win record seems a reasonable expectation. The Bulls hold their own in rebounds, but are sketchy and inconsistent in many other areas including foul shooting (deplorable), three point shooting (inconsistent, but deplorable in losses to date), and defense (inconsistent, but shows signs of brilliance with the full court press late in games). I know they’ll never do it, but I think they periodically should use a zone defense to limit the number of drives for layups.

They’ll get to Cleveland with no pressure on them. They can win it all there. Go Bulls!

38 minutes ago, squire17 said:

From the glass half full department: As others have stated, this team is capable of beating or losing to any MAC team. I think we’ll see them to do that with regularity throughout the season. Anything from a 9 win to a 12 win record seems a reasonable expectation. The Bulls hold their own in rebounds, but are sketchy and inconsistent in many other areas including foul shooting (deplorable), three point shooting (inconsistent, but deplorable in losses to date), and defense (inconsistent, but shows signs of brilliance with the full court press late in games). I know they’ll never do it, but I think they periodically should use a zone defense to limit the number of drives for layups.

They’ll get to Cleveland with no pressure on them. They can win it all there. Go Bulls!

Winning it all in Cleveland. Right now I’m not confident about them winning 3 or potentially 4 games in a row, so I’m gonna stay odds are not very good right now.

Home games are must wins especially against the lower level teams in the conference. Your gonna lose probably to the Kent states or Akron on the road so these are must wins.

Tired if hearing oh yeah they can beat anyone so they can still win mac tournament. You gotta set yourself up by getting a top 4 seed. Which means you don’t lose to northern Illinois at home. 

I know expectActions are so high after last few years, but it’s the lack of effort and fundamentals that’s really frustrating to watch. 

Edited by Ubbulls84

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Do you think the search firm gives us our money back for suggesting our current associate head coach who has struggled?

Let's not forget he went and hired an associate head coach away from a really bad team.

Search firm did not recommend Jim. Alnut wanted a coach of color. Lay the blame on Alnut if anywhere. 

For those of us who are not Bills fans our only solace today is in the women's team being 1-0, just reloading, and a 12 seed in ESPN Bracketology. Though NIU may not be so weak since they were picked 2nd preseason in the West. We knew who shocked us last season and I'm not sure why coach and the team didn't come out ready for German to ball.

We need a Caruthers, someone who just sets the defensive tone and can make plays on the other end. But a 2-time MAC D Player of the year is hard to replace. We have the bigs, the athletes, the [streaky] shooters. But it's not Johnson, or Graves, and Jordan has regressed/worn thing covering for others. Segu's offence is his best defence.

56 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Winning it all in Cleveland. Right now I’m not confident about them winning 3 or potentially 4 games in a row, so I’m gonna stay odds are not very good right now.

Home games are must wins especially against the lower level teams in the conference. Your gonna lose probably to the Kent states or Akron on the road so these are must wins.

Tired if hearing oh yeah they can beat anyone so they can still win mac tournament. You gotta set yourself up by getting a top 4 seed. Which means you don’t lose to northern Illinois at home. 

I know expectActions are so high after last few years, but it’s the lack of effort and fundamentals that’s really frustrating to watch. 

I don’t see a lack of effort. Which Buffalo Bull is dogging it? Name one. Lack of fundamentals? Enlighten us.

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

I don’t see a lack of effort. Which Buffalo Bull is dogging it? Name one. Lack of fundamentals? Enlighten us.

Really man, I think it’s sort of evident but if you insist: 

Free throw shooting- we are one of the worst in D1. Don’t know our exact % but believe it is low 60s from what I heard on tv. That is a fundamental basketball skill shooting free throws.

Turnovers- granted this game it wasn’t the issue at all, but for most part it’s been a problem for us.

Help side defense- Non-existent for the most part, you watch the games I think you’ve seen all the easy layups.

Taking charges- this is a huge element of the college game and we were really good at this the last couple years, but I’ve been watching all these games and this team really not getting many of them. Davonta been trying but has not been getting as many as in the past. 

There are others but these are some of the big ones. 

Also, I never said no one is dogging it, that’s your words so change mine as you may. I said lack of effort, meaning they are not going as hard as they possibly can. That goes to diving on floors and just playing lockdown defense, they extra hustle plays. Not gonna pinpoint any player, at times it’s been everyone but I think you would agree there has been times when we been sluggish it’s pretty apparent I think anyone would agree. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Taking charges- this is a huge element of the college game and we were really good at this the last couple years, but I’ve been watching all these games and this team really not getting many of them. Davonta been trying but has not been getting as many as in the past. 

While Davonte (and others) used to flop all the time, they don't anymore due to the new rule that doesn't allow them to do so. Even when he doesn't, he has a reputation for flopping and gets warned or worse (i.e. the extremely weak "flop" that was called on him during the Bona game).  I wonder if that comes into play at all. 

2 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

For those of us who are not Bills fans our only solace today is in the women's team being 1-0, just reloading, and a 12 seed in ESPN Bracketology. Though NIU may not be so weak since they were picked 2nd preseason in the West. We knew who shocked us last season and I'm not sure why coach and the team didn't come out ready for German to ball.

We need a Caruthers, someone who just sets the defensive tone and can make plays on the other end. But a 2-time MAC D Player of the year is hard to replace. We have the bigs, the athletes, the [streaky] shooters. But it's not Johnson, or Graves, and Jordan has regressed/worn thing covering for others. Segu's offence is his best defence.

Do agree. The women’s team is playing a very good team game. They all work extremely hard especially on the defensive end and are a surprise especially without Summer. Both Walters and Adeyeye have improved dramatically from last year on both ends of the floor. As I said before more fans should be coming to see this team play . The men are a major disappointment with their inconsistency on both ends of the floor with no true player to take charge or play a good all around game. It will be very hard to win on a consistent basis with terrible free throw shooting, poor and inconsistent 3 point shooting and Very little defensive intensity.  This team right now does not have the mental makeup to overcome adversity and only time will tell if any improvement will come. Go Bulls!!!

4 hours ago, squire17 said:

?? 85, Care to elaborate? 

Compare Jim’s hiring to Oats for one? White never went outside program. Did his due diligence and within a week Oats was promoted. Obviously quite different with Jim.  It took better part of three weeks to name him head man. Alnut’s preferred coach of color. Didn’t work out so he circled back and hired Jim. I think Jim is an excellent and decent man. He was a great assistant coach. He’ll have to prove he’s up to the task, something we won’t know for a couple of years. 

6 hours ago, UB85 said:

Search firm did not recommend Jim. Alnut wanted a coach of color. Lay the blame on Alnut if anywhere. 

I mean, I have it on good record he wanted Lainer. It's possible they circled back when they didn't have the budget(s) for some of the guys they wanted. Which is shocking because grooming Oats got them 1M (which they promptly didn't put into the basketball program). 

But, I'm confused then. If Alnutt didn't want Whitesell, who did and who hired him over the AD?

Edited by Kevin

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

I mean, I have it on good record he wanted Lainer. It's possible they circled back when they didn't have the budget(s) for some of the guys they wanted. Which is shocking because grooming Oats got them 1M (which they promptly didn't put into the basketball program). 

But, I'm confused then. If Alnutt didn't want Whitesell, who did and who hired him over the AD?

I think he is saying it wasn’t his first choice but the best choice after the preferred choices said they weren’t interested in Buffalo.  Jim had the support of the players and put a good team together on short notice when the old staff tried to destroy the program on their way out the door.  

Everyone mentions the concern about losing at home, but let me ask you this... What really gives us a home court advantage?

We haven't played a single game with students in town.. We've played very few games with band and dance team.

Our crowds for the most part don't make any noise until maybe the final moments of game outside of a few golf claps here and there.

I have to think our arena is so welcoming to an opposing team, it is like playing a neutral site these days.

Our crowds and our fans are not good.. That's the bottom line.  Yes we have our diehards and I am sure the team appreciates their support, but the majority of the fans that come to the game do not make the building an intimidating atmosphere for opposing teams.

• Like 2

Are people forgetting that Oats went 20-15 (10-8) his first year? He is now 7-6 at Alabama. We lost 5 of our top 7 players, this year was always going to be a rebuilding year. Whitesell could definitely improve in some ways, but no coach is going to be perfect. 

I think our future looks pretty bright with Graves, Mballa, Williams, Segu, and Hardnett. Whitesell was the reason that 3 of those guys stayed and the other 2 committed. He also pulled in a couple of highly rated guards for next year. If they end up staying committed and none of our core players transfer then I will continue to support him. That being said,  I will expect improvement in future seasons. 

Edited by SGBull

The buck stops with Alnutt. He’s got ultimate say on hiring any and all head coaches. He must have been cognizant of salary limitations when contemplating Oats’ replacement. Waiting as long as he did before naming Whitesell gives the impression that the AD was flat footed.

12 minutes ago, SGBull said:

Are people forgetting that Oats went 20-15 (10-8) his first year? He is now 7-6 at Alabama. We lost 5 of our top 7 players, this year was always going to be a rebuilding year. Whitesell could definitely improve in some ways, but no coach is going to be perfect. 

I think our future looks pretty bright with Graves, Mballa, Williams, Segu, and Hardnett. Whitesell was the reason that 3 of those guys stayed and the other 2 committed. He also pulled in a couple of highly rated guards for next year. If they end up staying committed and none of our core players transfer then I will continue to support him. That being said,  I will expect improvement in future seasons. 

The 20-15 includes 3 wins in the MAC tournament.  As you point out they were 10-8 in the regular season.   While collectively (at least those who offered an opinion including me) were thinking we go 11-7 or better in MAC, your point about losing 5 of 7 top players should not be discounted.  I am still hopeful this team does reach those expectations and is able to win in Cleveland. 

3 hours ago, SGBull said:

The program is further along now than 4 years ago, I certainly hope it would be. Oats left behind all of his remaining players. The players that Whitesell got the job based on keeping (Graves, Segu, Williams). 

Outside of Mballa, the team has gotten no help from any of the players brought in, that's a worry. Many aren't even getting playing time now in MAC play and with Brock/Fagan back.

The team has also played with limited energy and defense, something that Oats' team's had at all stretches. They were also remarkably good at home.

home court advantage isn't just what students are at the game, it's the other team traveling far, staying in hotels, and off routine. This matters to players. EMU/NIU win because of this at home, not because of their non-existent fans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

The program is further along now than 4 years ago, I certainly hope it would be. Oats left behind all of his remaining players. The players that Whitesell got the job based on keeping (Graves, Segu, Williams). 

Outside of Mballa, the team has gotten no help from any of the players brought in, that's a worry. Many aren't even getting playing time now in MAC play and with Brock/Fagan back.

The team has also played with limited energy and defense, something that Oats' team's had at all stretches. They were also remarkably good at home.

home court advantage isn't just what students are at the game, it's the other team traveling far, staying in hotels, and off routine. This matters to players. EMU/NIU win because of this at home, not because of their non-existent fans.

I agree with this entire statement, well said. There's a lot to worry about for this season, but I'm surely not ready to throw away the baby with the bath water. I thought for sure this team would come out and re-assert their home court dominance, after their home court local sweep of the "Big 4" opponents and knowing the value of league games. They were very sketchy in many areas and it was hard to find a lot of positives to take away from it from a fan's point of view. Our shooting was poor overall, defense was not up to recent UB standards, the deep bench that many of us (including me) thought, had only 6 players getting over 10 minutes of game time, with 4 players playing over 30 minutes. I'm worried that the chemistry isn't nearly as good as it's been in the past, seeing many hanging heads on the bench due to lack of playing. The athletes are definitely there and I'm still hopeful that it's going to come together over these next 17 MAC games, but I'm much more nervous at this time than I was heading into the season.

On a brighter side, at least we're not dealing with Reggie-ball anymore. Canisius' game was 18-16 at halftime and 34-29 with 7 minutes left in the game (at the time of this posting). YUCK!

Edited by skrabukes

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I agree with this entire statement, well said. There's a lot to worry about, but I'm surely not ready to throw away the baby with the bath water. I thought for sure this team would come out and re-assert their home court dominance, after their home court local sweep of the "Big 4" opponents and knowing the value of league games. They were very sketchy in many areas and it was hard to find a lot of positives to take away from it from a fan's point of view. Our shooting was poor overall, defense was not up to recent UB standards, the deep bench that many of us (including me) thought, had only 6 players getting over 10 minutes of game time, with 4 players playing over 30 minutes. I'm worried that the chemistry isn't nearly as good as it's been in the past, seeing many hanging heads on the bench due to lack of playing. The athletes are definitely there and I'm still hopeful that it's going to come together over these next 17 MAC games, but I'm much more nervous at this time than I was heading into the season.

On a brighter side, at least we're not dealing with Reggie-ball anymore. Canisius' game was 18-16 at halftime and 34-29 with 7 minutes left in the game (at the time of this posting). YUCK!

Good objective comments by all above. It can be so hard to not use comparisons from the previous year’s teams but I know if have to stop. These really are different players with a change in makeup of the top players we had from the last 3/4 years. We don’t have the defensive spark plug like we had with Carothers or the take charge guy like CJ. This team lacks the mental maturity and really the lack of playing time together. Agree we are not receiving any help from the Johnson’s and Grant’s and to expect Bertram and Fagan to change the look of this team only time will tell since neither has done anything since here to warrant that perspective. You can have all the athletic potential in the world but it does not always translate to on court success. This very well could be like Oat’s first year as far the record goes. Still hopeful that something will kick in to these players and coaches to become a better cohesive unit toward the end of the MAC. 

7 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Everyone mentions the concern about losing at home, but let me ask you this... What really gives us a home court advantage?

We haven't played a single game with students in town.. We've played very few games with band and dance team.

Our crowds for the most part don't make any noise until maybe the final moments of game outside of a few golf claps here and there.

I have to think our arena is so welcoming to an opposing team, it is like playing a neutral site these days.

Our crowds and our fans are not good.. That's the bottom line.  Yes we have our diehards and I am sure the team appreciates their support, but the majority of the fans that come to the game do not make the building an intimidating atmosphere for opposing teams.

You’re right.  

and it seems the team plays worse at home (exception being the Bona game).  

I have seen this happen before with some teams that don’t get a lot of hype for their home games.  They show up to the gym and the game doesn’t feel like a game and the team just isn’t up for it.  But then they do well on the road because when they go on the road they are going with a purpose and know they are there for one reason.  

it is like they are just rolling out of bed from playing video games and going over to the gym for a game before getting back to what they are doing.  But when they are on the road they are there to win.  

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Outside of Mballa, the team has gotten no help from any of the players brought in, that's a worry. 

Yeah, it is almost like he only had a few months to fill a lot of scholarships that were expected to be filled with talented recruits who were told by the previous alone balls that they should avoid Buffalo because those very coaches were leaving.

It really is a wonder why he didn’t bring in a lot of high impact players when most were already committed.  

a real head scratcher... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You’re right.  

and it seems the team plays worse at home (exception being the Bona game).  

I have seen this happen before with some teams that don’t get a lot of hype for their home games.  They show up to the gym and the game doesn’t feel like a game and the team just isn’t up for it.  But then they do well on the road because when they go on the road they are going with a purpose and know they are there for one reason.  

it is like they are just rolling out of bed from playing video games and going over to the gym for a game before getting back to what they are doing.  But when they are on the road they are there to win.  

Disagree to some extent. The team really has not given us a reason to cheer and show great emotion. Most of our home games have been duds and again to some extent a lot of fans have been spoiled with what we have experienced the last few years. The crowd noise was decent for Bona but that probably had to do with 6,000. I do agree the atmosphere will always be better with the students and hope the team will give us some winning games soon. I can not recall a home game this year where the team came out with offensive and defensive intensity so can only hope something kicks in to these players on how to play every possession and every game. Go Bulls!!!!!

19 minutes ago, John said:

The team really has not given us a reason to cheer and show great emotion. Most of our home games have been duds and again to some extent a lot of fans have been spoiled with what we have experienced the last few years. The crowd noise was decent for Bona but that probably had to do with 6,000. I do agree the atmosphere will always be better with the students and hope the team will give us some winning games soon. I can not recall a home game this year where the team came out with offensive and defensive intensity so can only hope something kicks in to these players on how to play every possession and every game. Go Bulls!!!!!

FFS.  Your team has to give you a reason to cheer for them?  You know that means you’re not a fan.  Fan is short for fanatic.  You’re just a casual observer if you need a reason to cheer for the team. 

and that is the whole premise of your post.   “We cheer when they have winning seasons and are nationally ranked.”   “We cheer when there are a bunch of Bonas fans there and we hate them so we will cheer against them to try to ensure they lose.”

You’re not a fan if you’re asking them team to give you a reason.  You’re suppose to be the one that makes them play better at home.  I would argue you’re the problem.  If they come out without fire it is because they come out to see that there are people like you pretending to be fans but not offering any support to the players and instead sitting back judging them demanding they give you a reason to care about them.  

7 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

FFS.  Your team has to give you a reason to cheer for them?  You know that means you’re not a fan.  Fan is short for fanatic.  You’re just a casual observer if you need a reason to cheer for the team. 

and that is the whole premise of your post.   “We cheer when they have winning seasons and are nationally ranked.”   “We cheer when there are a bunch of Bonas fans there and we hate them so we will cheer against them to try to ensure they lose.”

You’re not a fan if you’re asking them team to give you a reason.  You’re suppose to be the one that makes them play better at home.  I would argue you’re the problem.  If they come out without fire it is because they come out to see that there are people like you pretending to be fans but not offering any support to the players and instead sitting back judging them demanding they give you a reason to care about them.  

I did not mean for it to come across like our family does not cheer for the team. We see some fans that do sit on their hands. Many of our family are alumni and have participated on athletic teams and some of our family members have tutored some of the athletes and we will continue to support our teams. Go Bulls!!!!

• Jeseph unpinned this topic

There’s still time everyone. Oats first season was hit with transfers, recruits not honoring their commitment(by the way that had to be one of the worst choices ever by Nate Navigato eh? I feel sorry for him. NOT!!) losing Moss in August and his wife’s cancer diagnosis. He recruited Hamilton and Conner and got lucky with CJ being available late and Perkins staying true to his commitment as Oats was the lead recruiter and had the Michigan contacts. Hamilton and Conner were sketchy at best into early January before finding their footing then blossoming. CJ and Perk had their freshman struggles but we’re great as freshmen. As a result the team became quite formidable. Can that happen this year? Of course! But it is still an open question. Being a top tier MAC team is not guaranteed. The kind of success we’ve enjoyed is extremely rare amongst mid majors. It can be maintained as a limited number of programs have proved. But the margin for error is small. I hope for the best but I do not have much confidence in Alnut or Tripathi. I am in a prove it mode when it comes to those two.