Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

14 hours ago, Chet said:

This is my first post. I’ve been following this board for a long time, but finally created an account. I’ve been going to games since Coach Weatherspoon took over the program when we hosted NC. 

I just finished listening to Coach Whitesell on the UB basketball radio show. I like Jim. He seems to be authentic and that’s certainly important quality in life. However passion is just as important IMO and that seems lacking at times with Coach. I was frustrated how satisfied he sounded by just beating Miami on Saturday. Coach Oats set a new standard for our program last year and we seem to have gone back to the old days. We should be blowing these MAC teams out.

We probably have the best roster of talent, but not the best team. That’s on Coach. I certainly believe it’s possible to win the MAC tournament, but probably equally possible to lose the first game. Hopefully Coach and his staff can inspire these players to get it done in Cleveland. A little more passion wouldn’t hurt. Go Bulls!

Is Chet to UB basketball what Duane is to the Sabres? 🤯

I tend to agree with your main points. I think passion is lacking. Passion informs preparation and defensive intensity, both of which have felt lacking much of this season. I'm also afraid that ambition may be lacking. Hurley and Oates both had ascendant career paths that helped our program share in that rise (and vice versa to an extent). I can't imagine that Whitesell imagined he'd ever get the keys at this point in his career to a rising mid-major full of momentum. I worry about us settling, him being content.

I know he's a competitive guy and certainly wants to win probably more than any of us on here, but sitting behind the bench this year watching him closely has caused me concern. He often looks exasperated and lacking answers. I'm not sure his short-handed staff has been particularly impressive either and I worry they may be in a bit over their heads.

That said, hopefully these guys have some March magic in them from these past years. It's going to be a very tough run. Our opponents are going to revel in the chance to drive the stake through our heart and end our dominant run. And that's without mentioning the vaunted MAC officiating cabal.

Go damn Bulls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Is Chet to UB basketball what Duane is to the Sabres? 🤯

I tend to agree with your main points. I think passion is lacking. Passion informs preparation and defensive intensity, both of which have felt lacking much of this season. I'm also afraid that ambition may be lacking. Hurley and Oates both had ascendant career paths that helped our program share in that rise (and vice versa to an extent). I can't imagine that Whitesell imagined he'd ever get the keys at this point in his career to a rising mid-major full of momentum. I worry about us settling, him being content.

I know he's a competitive guy and certainly wants to win probably more than any of us on here, but sitting behind the bench this year watching him closely has caused me concern. He often looks exasperated and lacking answers. I'm not sure his short-handed staff has been particularly impressive either and I worry they may be in a bit over their heads.

That said, hopefully these guys have some March magic in them from these past years. It's going to be a very tough run. Our opponents are going to revel in the chance to drive the stake through our heart and end our dominant run. And that's without mentioning the vaunted MAC officiating cabal.

Go damn Bulls.

Between Chet and Much, I see 2 great season ticket holders who have been there and wanting more!  Let's hope that we can reunite in Cleveland for a few days next week.

LOL @ "the vaunted MAC officiating cabal"

18 hours ago, Chet said:

This is my first post. I’ve been following this board for a long time, but finally created an account. I’ve been going to games since Coach Weatherspoon took over the program when we hosted NC. 

I just finished listening to Coach Whitesell on the UB basketball radio show. I like Jim. He seems to be authentic and that’s certainly important quality in life. However passion is just as important IMO and that seems lacking at times with Coach. I was frustrated how satisfied he sounded by just beating Miami on Saturday. Coach Oats set a new standard for our program last year and we seem to have gone back to the old days. We should be blowing these MAC teams out.

We probably have the best roster of talent, but not the best team. That’s on Coach. I certainly believe it’s possible to win the MAC tournament, but probably equally possible to lose the first game. Hopefully Coach and his staff can inspire these players to get it done in Cleveland. A little more passion wouldn’t hurt. Go Bulls!

Excellent first post - COMPLETELY agree!

13 hours ago, UB92 said:

I think what Chet is saying (by the way, thanks for your first post Chet) is that the team has the talent (on paper, on previous performance, etc.), but this year's performance is not matching the talent.  What you say (e.g. they don't shoot well from the field, FT shooting is below part, spotty defense) is how they have actually performed and you are right:  they don't have the best team performance this season in the conference.

I kind of get what Chet is saying about Whitesell and beating Miami.  While I didn't hear this particular interview, I have heard him before.  He is a different guy than Oats and brings different things to the table.  Oats has great, great passion and did get guys to buy in.  That's not Whitesell's strength.  The expectation, of course, is that Whitesell's other strengths as a coach help get the team to perform to their level of talent (and beyond).   The season isn't over yet, so the jury is out on that one.  I am sure this thread will grow once the season ends and we have time to take a look at the entire season as a whole.    

The Bulls have seemed to come up big at the end of the season when they have needed to win games in the past to secure a good seed.  Let's hope it continues.

Go Bulls.

Also welcome Chet. As always some varied opinions by many of us fans. Do agree that the expectations that we were the most athletic team is still what for debate. There have been many athletic teams locally over the years that did not win. On paper everything can look great until you play the games. So many scenarios over the course of a year factor into who wins and loses. A player can be the most athletically gifted but in a lot of instances he has to have the total basketball IQ to make the right decisions. That is the frustration and also the excitement for us fans that keeps us involved and coming back and supporting UB. It looks like another exciting finish to the year with more success to come. Go Bulls!!!!

15 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I was ready to run him out of town after Dartmouth. But what a turnaround since. The Bulls team I watched Friday could win the MAC again.

To their credit the players continue to fight through bad stretches of games. They had their best shooting game in a long time and the constant bugaboo of foul shooting continues. Continued subpar games from Johnson and especially Grant along with no positive  improvement from Bertram is worrisome. Segu has shown some improvement the last couple games. Our road to success rests with Jordan, Graves showing consistency and the biggest key will be Mballa continuing to rebound and be a force on both ends of the court and staying out of foul trouble. Go Bulls!!!!

What are peoples opinions on the assistant coaches?

They always seemed to be just "there" during every game.

Chances we see a turnover on staff? I can't imagine too much and i know we have the one opening but a spot on this staff with an older head coach should be a very attractive spot in terms of building a career

I'm pleased with the job Whitesell has done so far.  It was always going to be a challenge this year, with so much turnover on the roster and picking up where some great teams left off.  He deserves some credit for the past several years too, he was on the staff, it wasn't all Oats.  I think the 2019-20 roster has talent but not as talented as the past couple years.  Segu has become a better player defensively and developed that fadeaway jumper.  Williams has gotten incredibly better.  Mballa and Hardnett have a ton of potential.  They have highly regarded recruits coming in.  The team reached 20 wins again.  They're set up to do even better next year.  I'm really not understanding where the problem or dissatisfaction is coming from.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

What are peoples opinions on the assistant coaches?

They always seemed to be just "there" during every game.

Chances we see a turnover on staff? I can't imagine too much and i know we have the one opening but a spot on this staff with an older head coach should be a very attractive spot in terms of building a career

I'm a big JQ fan. I think he is a great motivator and person. I do like that Whitesell kept him on the staff.

Coach AT I have my reservations about. I don't know a ton to comment. I do know that he comes as an associate HC from a really bad program at UMKC. 

The third hire to replace Jenkins who was a big miss for the program (set the team back in recruiting for a potential of 1-3 spots plus the two they have) is going to be a big spot for the team!

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I'm a big JQ fan. I think he is a great motivator and person. I do like that Whitesell kept him on the staff.

Coach AT I have my reservations about. I don't know a ton to comment. I do know that he comes as an associate HC from a really bad program at UMKC. 

The third hire to replace Jenkins who was a big miss for the program (set the team back in recruiting for a potential of 1-3 spots plus the two they have) is going to be a big spot for the team!

I know we have another open spot.... I’m guessing the other 2 are potentially Brock and Fagan? I’ve heard so many rumors of Brock grad transferring that I can’t help but think there could be some truth to it 

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

I know we have another open spot.... I’m guessing the other 2 are potentially Brock and Fagan? I’ve heard so many rumors of Brock grad transferring that I can’t help but think there could be some truth to it 

More to the brock transferring on senior night coaches and players treated brock as they did the other seniors(to the extent you can where he wasn't apart of the ceremony) or maybe I just read into too it

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

With potentially 3 spots for next season I am gonna guess they hit the transfer portal hard; try to re connect with guys they may have had previous relationships with ie. Hardnett

This tournament is huge for Buffalo for next season recruiting wise, they make a run a different caliber transfer will become interested. We have 4 really solid pieces coming back maybe a grad transfer sees himself as someone that puts them over the top

Edited by Tee4three

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

I would think he would want to transfer to a school where for his last year of collegiate ball he could get some decent amount of playing time. He really did not fit against MAC teams with more athletic quicker front line players. After all the injuries he had he looked like he was a step slower which is understandable again with all his injuries. He gives 100% when he was on the floor and is a good teammate on the bench and did have a chance to talk to him a few times and was a very sincere person. Hope our next few games he can contribute to our success. Go Bulls!!!! 

Early exit aside, the year was fine. It seems like he was too loyal to certain players, insisting on minutes for guys who just weren’t getting it done. Hopefully he learns and everyone comes back hungry next year. Jordan is a big loss, but Segu will be a junior and possibly ready for the next step 

15 minutes ago, BullsBacker23 said:

Heck of a first year by JW

Losing Jordan Hurts 

No this is not a heck of year, it’s a fail. Had the talent to get to tourney and just lost to 12 seed on home court. If we made it to semis and lost to Akron I say ok it was a solid year and we made a run at it. But no you end like we just did you not getting any credit from me.

I haven't commented in here since I returned. 

I had my press pass taken away because someone on this board decided to submit my posting to the UB department. I'm pretty sure I have a guess who would do a thing like that.

They in turn called my credentialed media source while they were on the bench at Ball State. They decided to take my credential away for "unfair treatment" of the coach. I'm not sure you all agree with me every time I post, but I think we can agree that it wasn't fair for them to do that. They proceeded to lose by 20 to Ball State that game. 

My post was accurate. I took no personal shots at anyone, just presented the facts of what had happened to date in January. They all ended up to be true and accurate statements of this team. It's disappointing to not be able to speak the truth about the team you cover.

Edited by Kevin
  • Confused 1

Not that we gave them any reason to come out, with the way we played at home all year, but to me turnout this season was weird. All season long we had no real home court advantage. Alumni was not an intimidating place to come into. Crazy given that we had a long home court winning streak coming into the year. Just odd. Worrisome.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Not that we gave them any reason to come out, with the way we played at home all year, but to me turnout this season was weird. All season long we had no real home court advantage. Alumni was not an intimidating place to come into. Crazy given that we had a long home court winning streak coming into the year. Just odd. Worrisome.

Disappointing to have the students, minus the band, cheer team, dazzlers, and first few rows of True Blue sit the entire game.

When @enrique14150, I, and our small crew were down there for the Bonnies game we made a ton of noise the entire time.  If any students are reading this, the aluminum steps inbetween the seat levels makes a ton of noise if you hit it with your foot.  I've been tempted to walk over to the student section to make noise before because it sounds like a library at times.

sigh, I know I'm gonna regret this

Minus the expletives, sexual harassment, and general distastefulness of the Bonnies student section, they're loud and they cheer for their team. We could really use that.  WE'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE. The blackout game vs Kent where Evans had the stepback 3, True Blue was standing up and filled both baselines and a section in the 300's. Later that year against Bowling Green I remember the students standing the whole time.  I think as recently as a couple years ago we had a game against Akron where the student section stood the entire time. 

I don't expect the Cameron Crazies. I don't expect people camping out for the best spots. I just wish there was more noise coming from the student section.

• Like 3

Where is the player development? We had opponents come to Alumni this year and drop huge numbers, who were relative nobodys recruiting-wise. Jackson for Akron, Coleman the freshman from Ball State, plenty of others. We get so excited about our fancy 3-star recruits, but the mid-major level is about developing guys who were shy a couple skills of the full package.

I'll give them Jeenathan's development. Very encouraging and good momentum for next year. But the rest? I'm not sure. The two senior transfers had to have regressed. Grave's offensive skill set is woefully small and forces him to be a volume scorer. Too much head down driving and never a post up (when LCJ was destroying us Graves couldn't have taken him in the post for a few quick fouls with 7 inches and 30 lbs on him?) And the free throw shooting all around was just miserable.

Plenty more to discuss, including guys not knowing who takes the ball out the first third of the season, an offense that runs a weave 80% of the time, inconsistent communication on defense, lack of visible spirit and shared purpose...but we've got all off-season for that! 😞

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I haven't commented in here since I returned. 

I had my press pass taken away because someone on this board decided to submit my posting to the UB department. I'm pretty sure I have a guess who would do a thing like that.

They in turn called my credentialed media source while they were on the bench at Ball State. They decided to take my credential away for "unfair treatment" of the coach. I'm not sure you all agree with me every time I post, but I think we can agree that it wasn't fair for them to do that. They proceeded to lose by 20 to Ball State that game. 

My post was accurate. I took no personal shots at anyone, just presented the facts of what had happened to date in January. They all ended up to be true and accurate statements of this team. It's disappointing to not be able to speak the truth about the team you cover.

That sucks. I disagree with you a lot but I feel like this board should a “safe space” for our opinions.