Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

3 hours ago, bmb2jn said:

This was posted in the GDT when I mentioned Dayton.

Dayton is a basketball school and has been for decades and decades before UB. The A10 and the MWC have been ranked among the top 10 conferences for the most part over the past 20 years. The MAC has been ranked in the top 10 twice in the past 24 years.  I’m not sure what their coaches earn, but it probably dwarfs what UB pays Whitesell. In the last game at Dayton over 13000 fans were in attendance, at San Diego St there were over 10000. You can not remotely put UB in the same class as those two programs at this point. And should UB remain in the MAC, it will never achieve the status of either as far as basketball is concerned. By the way, there were 3700+ fans at Alumni Arena tonight to cheer on the women’s and men’s teams.

I've been hearing rumors of UB joining the AAC. Could that be what the doctor ordered? 

Only one committing malpractice.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bmb2jn said:

This was posted in the GDT when I mentioned Dayton.

Dayton is a basketball school and has been for decades and decades before UB. The A10 and the MWC have been ranked among the top 10 conferences for the most part over the past 20 years. The MAC has been ranked in the top 10 twice in the past 24 years.  I’m not sure what their coaches earn, but it probably dwarfs what UB pays Whitesell. In the last game at Dayton over 13000 fans were in attendance, at San Diego St there were over 10000. You can not remotely put UB in the same class as those two programs at this point. And should UB remain in the MAC, it will never achieve the status of either as far as basketball is concerned. By the way, there were 3700+ fans at Alumni Arena tonight to cheer on the women’s and men’s teams.

I've been hearing rumors of UB joining the AAC. Could that be what the doctor ordered? 

The A10 average coach makes around $900k.  VCU and Dayton pay north of $1.5M. 

The American conference has said they have no interest in norther schools.  They are looking to be a southern based conference.  

2 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The A10 average coach makes around $900k.  VCU and Dayton pay north of $1.5M. 

The American conference has said they have no interest in norther schools.  They are looking to be a southern based conference.  

Didnt we extend Nate Oates to make almost 900k a year before he left?  We can afford it, but only in ideal circumstances.

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

From an idiot’s point of view, I’m calling myself an idiot, the AAC would be terrible for us. The travel expenses alone would drown us. That’s my two cents on that. 

We would get a lot more money from the conference distributions of revenue.  The American Conference had 40 NCAA basketball units last  year ($280,000 a piece) spit between its members. The MAC had 7 or so.  We would also presumably get more money from football revenue.

5 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Well they don’t and they probably never will because there’s no colleges sports culture here. Bills and Sabres country in WNY. Always has been and always will. 

There are plenty of other reasons aside from living in "Bills and Sabres country". If the Bills and Sabres left does anyone believe that AA or a larger venue would be packed with insane fans and a student section bursting at the seams?

Edited by ubfan75

35 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

We would get a lot more money from the conference distributions of revenue.  The American Conference had 40 NCAA basketball units last  year ($280,000 a piece) spit between its members. The MAC had 7 or so.  We would also presumably get more money from football revenue.

Wasn’t that the last year or the former Big East units?   So they were getting Syracuse and Louisville money that is no longer coming...

8 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Wasn’t that the last year or the former Big East units?   So they were getting Syracuse and Louisville money that is no longer coming...

Each year you get units from the previous 5 years combined.  So yes that will dry up but they still get a couple of units a year as opposed to the MAC which is typically 1 a year (2 the last 2 years.  Other schools should thank us haha)

The American conference as of right now isnt a final destination conference, its a holding conference. Meaning you join it because youre trying to get to a power conference and need a place to stay for a few years

The Americans foot print is too large to sustain or even become a power conference in my opinion

Ub is a big ten school - but thats a pipe dream

The best conference today for ub is the mac. 

Ideally in the future ub's conference isn't even created yet. I think you could pull teams that want better competition with closer travel together. Talking about Cincinnati, Temple, Syracuse, Pittsburgh then even a couple other mac schools. All schools who could save money on travel but keep the level of play up

Basically creating an Ohio Ny and Pa conference

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Oats was offered a contract valued at $837k and contingent on the school being able to raise $225k to fund it. 

Alnut before extending the offer got the ok from Tripathi who said you can offer anything you want but you’ll have to cover anything over 600k. Alnut then spoke to one or two big donors to make sure he’d be able to cover and then made the offer. I wish Alnut was prescient enough to seize the moment because I know tremendous amounts more could have been raised at that time utilizing the team’s historic success along with a vision of raising the profile of UB hoops. 

47 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Alnut before extending the offer got the ok from Tripathi who said you can offer anything you want but you’ll have to cover anything over 600k. Alnut then spoke to one or two big donors to make sure he’d be able to cover and then made the offer. I wish Alnut was prescient enough to seize the moment because I know tremendous amounts more could have been raised at that time utilizing the team’s historic success along with a vision of raising the profile of UB hoops. 

Wouldn’t have mattered, Oats was leaving. He basically said as much, I remember the quote being something like him telling Alnutt  “someone is going to offer me stupid money” and of course they did. There’s a wide gap between a million dollars and 2.5 million, and there’s no chance we’d be able to bridge that 

Edited by UB05

9 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Wouldn’t have mattered, Oats was leaving. He basically said as much, I remember the quote being something like him telling Alnutt  “someone is going to offer me stupid money” and of course they did. There’s a wide gap between a million dollars and 2.5 million, and there’s no chance we’d be able to bridge that 

Widely shared but incorrect opinion. Regardless it remains a missed opportunity to capitalize on that success. 

Edited by UB85

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agree! The Big 10 was and is my pipe dream too. One can dream right. 

Also Pitt and Cuse will never leave the ACC so forget that.

Yeah. I think both are long shots, but syracuse really never wanted to leave the big East, and both are struggling to compete so you never know

The big ten dream is a live as long as the both Maryland and rutgers are in the conference

Another conference re alignment could be around the corner and hopefully ub and nys is prepared to be bold

As far as the Bills-Sabres country goes, winning will sell.

Even if UB was a Power 5 School. If they were good and competing for National Championships, fans will show up. If they suck, the stadium/arena will be empty.

UB does draw strong TV ratings when they have a big game on TV. Last year during the NCAA Tournament, they drew strong ratings. When the Football team faced Penn State, they drew strong ratings. They will probably draw strong ratings then they face Ohio State next year. Even higher then Sabres games.

The Bills have come close to winning the Super Bowl. The Sabres have come close to winning the Stanley Cup.

The closest UB Football has come to winning a National Championship was winning the MAC Championship & Bahamas Bowl, and the closest UB Basketball has come to a National Championship was getting crushed in the Round of 32.

Edited by bmb2jn

1 hour ago, bmb2jn said:

As far as the Bills-Sabres country goes, winning will sell.

Even if UB was a Power 5 School. If they were good and competing for National Championships, fans will show up. If th

ey suck, the stadium/arena will be empty.

UB does draw strong TV ratings when they have a big game on TV. Last year during the NCAA Tournament, they drew strong ratings. When the Football team faced Penn State, they drew strong ratings. They will probably draw strong ratings then they face Ohio State next year. Even higher then Sabres games.

The Bills have come close to winning the Super Bowl. The Sabres have come close to winning the Stanley Cup.

The closest UB Football has come to winning a National Championship was winning the MAC Championship & Bahamas Bowl, and the closest UB Basketball has come to a National Championship was getting crushed in the Round of 32.

As far as the Bills-Sabres country goes, winning will sell. as the Bills-Sabres country goes, winning will sell.

There seems to be a floor under the attendance figures for both the Bills and the Sabres. Not sure why, because they do suck. Maybe it’s the media. 

If they suck, the stadium/arena will be empty.

I don’t agree. They have both been bottom barrel franchises for ages. The fans show up. And they pay a lot more than my wife and I do for our season tickets for the mens’ and women’s’ basketball games. The Bulls have been WAY more competitive than either of the two major league professional teams over the past ten years.

Okay, and your point is? Keep paying the big bucks for your trips to KeyBank Center and whatever Rich Stadium is now called.

3 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Another conference re alignment could be around the corner and hopefully ub and nys is prepared to be bold

The next re-alignment that happens will be the big schools breaking away completely and forming their own league. Leaving the rest behind. And honestly in the grand scheme of college athletes we are not a big school. Football leads the way...we are a basketball school. That’s a strike. All the economics that’s the biggest strike. Bureaucracy another strike.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The next re-alignment that happens will be the big schools breaking away completely and forming their own league. Leaving the rest behind. And honestly in the grand scheme of college athletes we are not a big school. Football leads the way...we are a basketball school. That’s a strike. All the economics that’s the biggest strike. Bureaucracy another strike.

UB is not a basketball school. It’s men’s’ and women’s’ basketball teams have been more successful than its football team. Agree that football is the squeaky wheel. Also agree that UB is financially low balling athletics relative to other conferences that fans have mentioned as desirable destinations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Isn't this a thread about the first year coach?

Why are we always turning everything in to a different conference argument?

Someone start a "new conference for UB thread". 

We currently have a coach that said winning 19 games is a "heck of a year". 

Unless you’re really that regimented, go with the flow.

Edited by squire17
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You seriously think UB could have kept Oats?

He didn’t even give UB a chance.  Blindsided everyone leaving. 

UB would have had to almost triple its financial package. Oats had to make a rational decision. He made the right choice. No one was blindsided with the exception of Alnutt, perhaps.

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You seriously think UB could have kept Oats?

He didn’t even give UB a chance.  Blindsided everyone leaving. 

Of course I do. It makes no difference now though.  Just many dropped the ball. And it is also why all this talk about a different conference is a pipe dream. Too many of the movers and shakers unwilling to step forward and up and too many who think it just cannot be done. 

8 hours ago, Gxtrex said:

Any reason for this or just speculation because of UCONN moving?

No reason in particular, but it seems like teams get up and move around the time tv contracts are negotiated. Uconn is a solid domino since their football program is currently a free agent

Also I think the power 5 conferences have become too large, at some point these once proud programs will want to win again

Edited by Tee4three