Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Ball State (1/7 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

1 minute ago, SGBull said:

While I do feel like our defense has been very bad this year, we have also gotten very unlucky. Teague, a guy who shoots 20% from 3, has hit multiple tough 3s in a half against us.

He flopped on that last one, but I’m sure didn’t get a warning like we’ve been getting.

1 minute ago, Erie County said:

Wouldn't that be because of the defense? Everyone has a higher FG% against UB's 300th ranked defense.

Yes definitely part of it, not denying that. But sometimes players have hot shooting nights and cold shooting nights. 

Just now, Erie County said:

Wouldn't that be because of the defense? Everyone has a higher FG% against UB's 300th ranked defense.

So where do the improvements need to be made on defense to prevent the 3s? Do they need to focus on transition and breaking up the play at mid court? Or do they need to figure out some type of zone defense against it? 

Wash rinse repeat. We sound like a broken record. Unless guys start to buy in then I’m afraid we peaked against DePaul.  This team plays zero defense. Zero. We are shooting 48%. But they are shooting 55. Can’t win like this. At this point we are who we are. And only with a blazing shooting night by us can we win. Pathetic lack of commitment to defense.

3 minutes ago, SGBull said:

While I do feel like our defense has been very bad this year, we have also gotten very unlucky. Teague, a guy who shoots 20% from 3, has hit multiple tough 3s in a half against us.

I was just thinking this, seems like teams hit shots against us shooting 56% from 2 and 43% from 3. The 3 point percentage should drop. Not out of it yet

But defensively we back up a bit too much. Not enough help defense, lack of switching and communication

Yea bc the answer for defense is to switch to a defense we don’t play. That makes sense. If communication and defensive rebounding is a problem for us then how do you guys feel a zone will make that any better? Have you ever seen teams that don’t play zone try to play a zone? Also if 3s are falling for the opposing team a zone will only encourage more 3 taking. This team is lost, using a zone won’t help imo.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yea bc the answer for defense is to switch to a defense we don’t play. That makes sense. If communication and defensive rebounding is a problem for us then how do you guys feel a zone will make that any better? Have you ever seen teams that don’t play zone try to play a zone? Also if 3s are falling for the opposing team a zone will only encourage more 3 taking. This team is lost, using a zone won’t help imo.

That's fine. Appreciate your point. Was just posing a question, where does it start? What can they do to defend against teams shooting 50+%?

2 minutes ago, thatdudeBlume said:

That's fine. Appreciate your point. Was just posing a question, where does it start? What can they do to defend against teams shooting 50+%?

Sorry I’m just frustrated. It starts with the players buying in and committing to defense. Jordan doesn’t even look like a former DPOY.  There has to be better ball pressure. Better communication of the weak side. Better help and team defense. If teams are going to drive on us then we need to funnel them to Mballa. Instead we give them the lane and a lay up. 

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Sorry I’m just frustrated. It starts with the players buying in and committing to defense. Jordan doesn’t even look like a former DPOY.  There has to be better ball pressure. Better communication of the weak side. Better help and team defense. If teams are going to drive on us then we need to funnel them to Mballa. Instead we give them the lane and a lay up. 

Zero team defense all a bunch of individuals

Zone would force them to work together, communicate. Both things they seem to refuse to do. 

Another option let Jordan rome and read the play and have him be the help everywhere. Let the other guys provide the pressure. Let Jordan finish the defense

2 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I'd love to know what exactly Whitesell is coaching here. What the plan? Miss lots of shots? Play no defense? Turn the ball over every possession? 

Yes you nailed it, that’s what he’s coaching. /s

3 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Zero team defense all a bunch of individuals

Zone would force them to work together, communicate. Both things they seem to refuse to do. 

Another option let Jordan rome and read the play and have him be the help everywhere. Let the other guys provide the pressure. Let Jordan finish the defense

Often times when a team isn’t good at something the solution is never to try something fundamentally different. I think we can agree that on offense we struggle against a zone defense right. What makes you think the players on this team can grasp learning and employing a zone defense when we can’t execute zone offense. You think there’d be some crossover of zone principles. But hell whatever let’s try it. At this point whatever, this team is lost.