Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Ball State (1/7 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

16 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Often times when a team isn’t good at something the solution is never to try something fundamentally different. I think we can agree that on offense we struggle against a zone defense right. What makes you think the players on this team can grasp learning and employing a zone defense when we can’t execute zone offense. You think there’d be some crossover of zone principles. But hell whatever let’s try it. At this point whatever, this team is lost. 

All I got that zone could work is length other than that I don't think it would work. But I do think it could force them to learn to do things they are not doing

3 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

All I got that zone could work is length other than that I don't think it would work. But I do think it could force them to learn to do things they are not doing

Outside of Williams and Mballa in the starting 5 we don’t have length. Graves, Johnson and Jordan are all 6’3 and under. I think we need to see more lineup tinkering. Again at this point this team is lost. So whatever experiment can work why the hell not.

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Outside of Williams and Mballa in the starting 5 we don’t have length. Graves, Johnson and Jordan are all 6’3 and under. I think we need to see more lineup tinkering. Again at this point this team is lost. So whatever experiment can work why the hell not.

The length comment more along of the lines of possibilities, with mballa hardnett williams then nickelberry

Boy was I wrong on how this game would turn out. I guess we will just have to sit back and support and hope they can get it together. They're too individually talented to have this continue all season, but it's sure been scary to watch at times. I just can't get over how many  < 3 footers  we miss lately.

Today it just seemed as though we would run down the court, make one pass, then either fire up a 3 or drive wildly to the basket. There was one play that stuck with me that showed me the difference between this team and last year's (yes, they're not the same team, I get it)...Jordan (I think) drove nicely to the basket drawing several defenders, kicked to the corner to Jeenathan. In the past, that guy would've caught the ball and passed to the guy on the extended elbow who then either shot a wide open look, or passed it on to the opposite extended elbow for a truly wide open look. Instead, Jeenathan put his head down and drove wildly to the basket (either throwing up a poor shot or turning it over, I can't remember which). 

I just hope we can clean it up, sooner or later. 

Additionally, I didn't see Grant on the bench today. Sick/hurt/something else? Anyone hear anything?

Only thing I can say it that it’s only January. We control our own destiny. If the goal is to run the table in the MAC tournament then until then the new goal is to improve and be playing our best basketball come March. Hopefully this is rock bottom and we start to show growth, whether we win or lose. We all know what needs to improve. From the players to the coaches, everyone has to improve. Heck just marginal improvement will do wonders, but it has to start sooner than later. Hopefully Friday. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

Our media love hangover from years past may finally disappear...ESPN had our SBU matchup in their Week 9 Viewers BB Guide, and for good reason. We were also in the Week 10 Guide at #6:

6. Buffalo Bulls at Ball State Cardinals (Tuesday, 7 p.m. ET)

This clash is a perfect opportunity to see if Buffalo -- which came into the season as the favorite to reach the postseason out of the MAC -- has officially turned the corner under new head coach Jim Whitesell.

Losses to Dartmouth and Army dimmed the Bulls' outlook, but they've won three of their past four thanks to the recent success of Jayvon Graves and Davonta Jordan. Even sophomore forward Jeenathan Williams has stepped up, scoring in double figures in his past five outings.

On the flip side, Ball State has seven upperclassmen, including leading scorer Ishmael El-Amin, big man Tahjai Teague and the uber efficient Kyle Mallers. The Cardinals shouldn't be overlooked in this scenario, so expect the Bulls to bring their A-game in order to capitalize on one of their few chances to earn a quality win for the remainder of the season.

And we got out and get smoked by 20 in conference for the first time in years. I don't blame anyone who now may advise against watching as our "perfect opportunities" are squandered.

So disappointed with this season. Boy I really thought we were still right at the top and able to win the conference. It’s looking like that is a pipe dream. Just too many things not going our way to be able to compete for a championship.

For 1, all of the transfers and incoming players have been busts, except for Mballa. Johnson has been maybe the worst player I’ve seen play for Buffalo in a long time, he can’t do anything offensively or defensively. He really hurts the team. Graves has been a disappointment overall, he’s had some good games but a lot of bad ones also, he’s just not a leader out there, he was better in the role he was in last few years. We just play with lack of intensity and basketball smarts, and it’s showing and I blame the coaching partly on that. I love Segu, and think he will be a solid player for us, but let’s be real the top guards in conference are gonna just bully ball him to the rack and score on him, he just not strong enough to stop it. 

I’m still hoping I’m wrong and things will change, but we let’s see when they play the tougher teams like Kent state and Akron and bowling green how they fare. 

• Like 1