Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bucky Gleason article re Oats

UB85

https://footballmaven.io/bills/college/nate-oats-vision-for-buffalo-growing-hoops-program-like-gonzaga-butler-L0Z9RLDS8kWypYc3wKkfyQ/

Bucky's article is consistent with what I have heard and know. Oats wants to stay in Buffalo and continue UB's ascent to the top of the mid major ranks. It is my understanding as the article says Nate and Crystal are extremely happy in Buffalo. Their kids love it. So assuming the university maintains their commitment to the program and Oats' vision it is very likely he stays for the forseeable future.

Really nice article on Oats. 

I agree as stated that as long as the administration and the university are on board to be serious about basketball, and invest time and money in it, then Oats will be here for a long time, especially if Oats has the vision to turn Buffalo into a Gonzaga/Butler type program. 

This really flirts with the notion that Oats will stay here for a while. Expressing the urge to build this program, buying a house here, settling with his wife and children here, who love the area. I guess it really just depends on if the university has the same ambitions as Oats. 

Need public support to fund it. I think buffalo’s waking up to it though.

Sabres look better this season but there’s more than enough people in Buffalo that there should not be an attendance conflict.

If Oats does stick around, it would be amazing. He owes us nothing (besides his buyout) - I cannot say that I would pass up a 4x raise for doing the same job elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, rma said:

Need public support to fund it. I think buffalo’s waking up to it though.

Sabres look better this season but there’s more than enough people in Buffalo that there should not be an attendance conflict.

If Oats does stick around, it would be amazing. He owes us nothing (besides his buyout) - I cannot say that I would pass up a 4x raise for doing the same job elsewhere. 

Would you rather be
Oats with 1.1 million over 3 years with 2 Conference Championships, 2 NCAA Appearances and a NCAA win or
Hurley with 4.9 million over 3 years with 0 conference championships, 1 NCAA appearance and 0 wins.

It seems in the 1 and done era, you have as good a chance to make it to the final four as an elite mid-major than an average major. So why leave?
That dynamic may change once the 1 and done era ends again, sadly.

This is so good to hear and the one thing I have learned with Coach Nate Oates (CNO) over the years is that the guy doesn't believe in coach speak.  He's honest, genuine and tells it as it is.  If says he wants to stay, I believe him.  Now, our job as fans, alums and donors is to keep the pressure on administration to continue to invest.

11 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Would you rather be
Oats with 1.1 million over 3 years with 2 Conference Championships, 2 NCAA Appearances and a NCAA win or
Hurley with 4.9 million over 3 years with 0 conference championships, 1 NCAA appearance and 0 wins.

It seems in the 1 and done era, you have as good a chance to make it to the final four as an elite mid-major than an average major. So why leave?
That dynamic may change once the 1 and done era ends again, sadly.

I mean I like money but idk where Oats’ priorities lie. I imagine he likes to win so your point makes sense

The Butler and Gonzaga comparison is a bit of apples and oranges, in context.  Both schools do not have expensive FBS programs to run that take funds and some of the spotlight away from basketball.

My take is as follows, trying to read between the lines.

1.  The $, while important, isn't super important.  I think if he keeps getting raises and is the highest paid coach in conference, they can keep him for a while.  In other words, even if a place wants to triple his salary to lure him away, it would not be a done deal.

2.  Gonzaga is in, basically, a 1 bid league.  But they dominate because they have more talent on their roster year in and year out.  Few can say to a recruit "you are, basically, guaranteed to go to the tourney each year".  That works.  Can UB become that for the MAC?  Maybe, and that is an attraction for a coach...you win a lot and go to the tourney annually.

3.  Butler moved to a more-than-one league and it has helped.  That may be what Oats has in mind.  AAC would bring higher profile, more revenue to athletics, his pay would jump,  easier to recruit, etc.  I think that this may be the commitment that Oats alludes to, without saying it directly.  In other words, keep winning and then we move to the AAC (or better).

Personally, I have zero interest in MAC realignment.  This is an Ohio-centric league and UB is an outsider.  Eventually we will go. 

58 minutes ago, UB92 said:

600,000 is also more than 6x less than the coach he beat yeasterday.

Does anyone in your place of employment make the same as someone with 20 more years of experience?

Everything is relative.  He is better off than he used to be.  He is also still young, with plenty of time further improve his position.

Personally I favor the career arc, over one huge step.  In the long run, one huge raise followed by a flatline wouldn't feel gratifying to me.

John Beilein made the jump from Canisius to Richmond and he's a native Western New Yorker. Not sure what the finances were. Then he went to West Virginia and is now, of course, at Michigan. Oats has been great for UB and I hope he sticks around for a few more years, However, we shouldn't be surprised if he flies the coop. I believe that he'll leave with a competent successor in place. 

If he leaves for a CUSA school, or a A10, even AAC outside a few schools we f’ed up. His buyout needs to be a firewall from anyone outside of a P5. Give him more money and years. Keep growing it. It means he is here and happy or we have a pile of cash for the next one and better assistants.

It would be unbelievable if he stayed till his children leave for college. By that point the UB brand will be so established we could have the pick of the litter of the best of what’s out there. Hell Jim Calhoun, is coaching a first time D3 program right now. You’d be amazed what could be available. 

On 11/10/2018 at 11:16 AM, 121Merrimac said:

Does anyone in your place of employment make the same as someone with 20 more years of experience?

Everything is relative.  He is better off than he used to be.  He is also still young, with plenty of time further improve his position.

Personally I favor the career arc, over one huge step.  In the long run, one huge raise followed by a flatline wouldn't feel gratifying to me.

I am not really sure how the compensation of the employees at my place of work is relevant here.  I think you missed the point.

There is a value to security, to having his family like the living situation, to winning games, to having a good chance to make the tournament by winning the conference, to the investment (in a variety of ways) for basketball, etc.   It is hard to quantify each and collectively -- certainly everyone has a different value to the list I made (and more).  

However...when they back up the truck and dump money at you from a conference where more than one team makes the tournament, it tends to overshadow all of the items on the list.  Sure...there are rare exceptions (e.g. Mark Few), but we really should not expect the rare exception in this case, regardless of what one may want to interpret.

I do believe, looking at all of the evidence available, that they can keep Oats for a few more years (or longer) if there is a real plan in place to move to a different conference (where $ is more, teams get at-large bids, etc).  You and I may not know or be privy to the plan, but if it is in place, then I think UB can fend off places doubling Oats' salary (for example).   But if a P5 school comes and, like I mention, backs up the truck to give him 3x (or more) of his current salary, that is very likely to trump any plans that may be in place.   How do you say no to the bird in hand?