Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Miami OH (1/10 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

I'm not going to even try to predict what might happen on Friday. All I know is that a win would go a very long way for everyone (team, coaches, fans, admin). If the team bounces back, we all will be able to be reminded that this team is capable of playing very well. If we leave Friday at 0-3, it may be a long weekend and much less filled AA next week.

2 hours ago, SGBull said:

If we lose this one, the panic button will be hit. I want to see good ball movement, more driving to the basket, improved FT, and better defense. A lot to ask for but it is possible.

I thought the panic button had already been hit! 

We are all pulling for this team to turn things around.  They have shown they have the talent to beat MAC caliber opponents - let's hope they come together as a team and put those skills to work and build some positive momentum starting with a win in this one.

I looked at some stats this morning - they will likely show the obvious - but here goes:

Offense - Our eFG% is less than 50% in 8 out of 14 DIV I games.  In those games we are 3-5.  In the three wins, what was crucial was our offensive rebounding and / or opponent's low eFG%/turnovers.   Miami of Ohio is an average / slightly above average defensive rebounding team.  We need a strong performance again tonight on the offensive glass.  An added bonus will be if we are able to have eFG% above 50% - I am not an x/o guy as much as others on here, but I recall seeing suggestions to make one or more additional pass; share the ball and trust your teammates.   A good development in the last two games is that we took care of the ball better.   One final key will be shooting better from the free throw line.  Miami of Ohio has sent opponents to FT line at an above average rate.

Defense - Our opponents eFG% is above 50% in six games and our record is 2-4 in those games.  Note the other two losses, our opponents eFG% was just below 50%.  Again borrowing from others - play with defensive intensity / help each other out.  Also, we need to improve upon forced turnover rate - last game against Ball St was lowest of season.  This may be tough as Miami of Ohio has generally kept their turnovers low this year.

As I said, stating obvious here, but hoping that the team can return to winning basketball with this game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I looked at some stats this morning - they will likely show the obvious - but here goes:

Offense - Our eFG% is less than 50% in 8 out of 14 DIV I games.  In those games we are 3-5.  In the three wins, what was crucial was our offensive rebounding and / or opponent's low eFG%/turnovers.   Miami of Ohio is an average / slightly above average defensive rebounding team.  We need a strong performance again tonight on the offensive glass.  An added bonus will be if we are able to have eFG% above 50% - I am not an x/o guy as much as others on here, but I recall seeing suggestions to make one or more additional pass; share the ball and trust your teammates.   A good development in the last two games is that we took care of the ball better.   One final key will be shooting better from the free throw line.  Miami of Ohio has sent opponents to FT line at an above average rate.

Defense - Our opponents eFG% is above 50% in six games and our record is 2-4 in those games.  Note the other two losses, our opponents eFG% was just below 50%.  Again borrowing from others - play with defensive intensity / help each other out.  Also, we need to improve upon forced turnover rate - last game against Ball St was lowest of season.  This may be tough as Miami of Ohio has generally kept their turnovers low this year.

As I said, stating obvious here, but hoping that the team can return to winning basketball with this game.

What is eFG%?

Sorry - I thought this was a common abbreviation - effective FG percentage.  Effective field goal percentage (eFG%) is a basketball statistic that complements field goal percentage by putting a player’s number of 3 point field goals into perspective.  As you can see, the formula does not include FT% - so it is missing the entire picture, but gives you a measure as to how the team is shooting.

Effective field goal percentage (eFG%) is calculated as:

(2pt Fields Goals Made + 1.5 * 3pt Fields Goals Made) / (Total Field Goal Attempts)

I actually prefer points per shot - which is eFG% * 2 - as I feel it is a little more intuitive.  Here is how the Bulls did the last few years:   

Year Points from 2&3 Point Shots 2&3 Point Shots Points per Shot eFG%
19-20       1,013       1,000       1.013 50.7%
18-19       2,510       2,344       1.071 53.5%
17-18       2,561       2,334       1.097 54.9%
16-17       1,994       1,945       1.025 51.3%
15-16       2,093       2,096       0.999 49.9%

You can see from this, that at this point, the team is shooting comparably to Nate Oats first two  years.  This is why the offensive rebounds, keeping turnovers low is important on offense as it helps increase number of shot attempts.  You can also see why defense is a priority this year.

Vegas has UB has a 1-point favorite, but Torvik (for example) has UB as a 2-point underdog.  I'm not sure I'll be pressing the panic button any more than I already am if UB plays well but loses a close one, because that's the reality of where this team is right now.  But another blowout loss, man, I shudder to think about what Alumni will look like on Tuesday.

Edited by UBlearns
typo

8 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

I think the first 10 minutes of the game it will be quick to determine if we will win or not. 

Does the team come out flat footed after getting demolished the last two games or do they play with a chip on their shoulder?

Let's hope they come out on fire leading to a big win. However, against Bona they were flat and not good for most of the first half, then really came on. Hopefully you'll be able to see it in the eyes and tenacity of the coaches and players.

2 minutes ago, UB85 said:

However, against Bona they were flat and not good for most of the first half, then really came on.

Completely agree. But we were coming off some victories going into Bona that I believe helped with mentality. 

I am not sure anyone on this team has lost two back to back MAC games. The players are in uncharted territory.

1 hour ago, BullsFan14 said:

I think the first 10 minutes of the game it will be quick to determine if we will win or not. 

Does the team come out flat footed after getting demolished the last two games or do they play with a chip on their shoulder?

Hopefully no chips on their shoulders.  It may impeded their jumping ability.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Haha 1