Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Miami OH (1/10 @ 7:00 pm)

Jeseph

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Rapid reaction:

Rondo should start in place of Johnson. I was against it earlier in the year but I’ve seen the light.

We got a much needed win. Much needed. Defense was much improved. Solid defense makes everything else easier.

We need more contribution from our bench. I’m not talking scoring but we need guys to give solid minutes. Basically in this game we had a 7 man rotation. Our starters are gonna be dead by the end of the month at that rate.

Defense much improved in second half. Only gave up 35. Have up 43 in first half. That’s more like it. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Also some nice passes inside to get some dunks whole the Miami defense was sleeping. 

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We need more contribution from our bench. I’m not talking scoring but we need guys to give solid minutes. Basically in this game we had a 7 man rotation. Our starters are gonna be dead by the end of the month at that rate.

What bench? Some guys on the bench look so disinterested while they are there. Then there are guys who are non-stop being positive for their guys. A few of our players need to be shown the door, nothing but ME guys, not at all out for the team. The only way this team will win this season (and any season) is to play team basketball. This starts on defense and travels to the offense. It showed when they played together. When they did, they wrecked the Miami offense, transitioning right into easy baskets. When even a single ME guy was on the floor, it was instant Miami baskets, all game long. 

It's taken me a few games, but I really was tuning into this today, and it was so evident. Last year, this was a team (yes, a senior-laden, star powered team, but regardless, they were ALL there for each other). This year, there are some who need to start buying into this, or else they need to go away, or be glued to the chairs on the sidelines. I'd rather play Giambattista or Gallion before a couple of these guys right now. I can't believe I'm saying that, but that's truly how I feel about some of the chemistry-breakers right now. If somehow, some way these guys would buy in to a ROLE and not into how much time/stats they have, this UB squad would be much better off. If not, the team will be severely hampered with a limited bench or great runs for their opponents while they are on the floor.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

What bench? Some guys on the bench look so disinterested while they are there. Then there are guys who are non-stop being positive for their guys. A few of our players need to be shown the door, nothing but ME guys, not at all out for the team. The only way this team will win this season (and any season) is to play team basketball. This starts on defense and travels to the offense. It showed when they played together. When they did, they wrecked the Miami offense, transitioning right into easy baskets. When even a single ME guy was on the floor, it was instant Miami baskets, all game long. 

It's taken me a few games, but I really was tuning into this today, and it was so evident. Last year, this was a team (yes, a senior-laden, star powered team, but regardless, they were ALL there for each other). This year, there are some who need to start buying into this, or else they need to go away, or be glued to the chairs on the sidelines. I'd rather play Giambattista or Gallion before a couple of these guys right now. I can't believe I'm saying that, but that's truly how I feel about some of the chemistry-breakers right now. If somehow, some way these guys would buy in to a ROLE and not into how much time/stats they have, this UB squad would be much better off. If not, the team will be severely hampered with a limited bench or great runs for their opponents while they are on the floor.

I couldn't help but notice Gallion and Skogman with Giambattista high fiving, hyping the team down the stretch.  Love to see it from the freshmen.

• Like 4

Thoughts on the game...

1.   I wanted to wait till it was over to post in order to limit a reactionary response.  
2.   Segu is going to be really good as a senior.  He is growing as a player, but still needs to limit the bad.  
3.   A win is a win, but Miami is not a good team.  I am trying not to take too much from this (i.e. UB has turned a corner).  
4.  Really good defensive effort in that second half.  It was not there for most of the first half.  
5. Can Williams finish going right with his right hand?  They really overplayed his left at times.
6.  Maybe feed Bertram a little more?   He has soft hands.   If only to draw a little defense.   
7.  Those announcers must have read this fan site.  They talked the whole game long about leadership, etc. 

Go Bulls. Glad we got the win and the team seemed very committed in that second half.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I agree. It starts with defense. Playing good defense prevents them from scoring and allows us to get easy points. That’s why playing defense is important. We can’t think we are just gonna go point for point with teams. 

And you said what bench? That’s my point, we need the bench to be able to give our starters some rest throughout the course of the game. Our main 5 can’t play 36 minutes a night. I really hope Whitesell moves Segu into the starting lineup over Johnson. And maybe a Johnson can thrive in a 6th man role. Johnson, Brock with some Grant and Hardnett rotating off the bench. Start and end games with Mball, Williams, Graves, Segu and Jordan on the floor. Play defense. Sounds like a winning formula.

10 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I don’t how much Nickleberry played, but the one time I saw him he drove into the lane and tossed up a shot you would see at an over-50 pick up game...jogged back a little on defense...saw that his guy was several steps ahead of him and running to the lane...ran fast to catch up...wildly bumped him as his man scored the basketball and was called for the foul...and was promptly taken out of the game.  

That’s my entire memory of him this game. 

Agree with the comments made that Segu should be starting.  Team has best chemistry with Graves / Jordan / Williams/ Mballa / Segu. They will need to get bench minutes.  I am comfortable you can get some good bench minutes from Hardnett and Bertram... One or two of the others will need to step up.  We shall see.  

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
On 1/10/2020 at 9:41 PM, UB92 said:

Thoughts on the game...

1.   I wanted to wait till it was over to post in order to limit a reactionary response.  
2.   Segu is going to be really good as a senior.  He is growing as a player, but still needs to limit the bad.  
3.   A win is a win, but Miami is not a good team.  I am trying not to take too much from this (i.e. UB has turned a corner).  
4.  Really good defensive effort in that second half.  It was not there for most of the first half.  
5. Can Williams finish going right with his right hand?  They really overplayed his left at times.
6.  Maybe feed Bertram a little more?   He has soft hands.   If only to draw a little defense.   
7.  Those announcers must have read this fan site.  They talked the whole game long about leadership, etc. 

Go Bulls. Glad we got the win and the team seemed very committed in that second half.  

Good recap. The start of the game has been like way too many of their games. Down 11-0 with very little ball movement, no defense, missed free throws. It did change as the game went on and the 2nd half was much better. Segu has to somehow limit the bad as in becoming wild and dribbling all over the court with no purpose. Williams still not good on 3 point shooting and really only have one move to the basket that all the MAC teams willl scout and make him a non factor. Can only hope Bertram can give us a few productive minutes and he lacks any quickness and does not appear in playing shape due do to all his injuries. The team chemistry still has not improved from earlier games with no real improvement from Johnson, Grant, Nickelberry and Hardnett. Still have faith the overall team metal approach can improve especially when we falll behind in games. Go Bulls!!!