Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Akron (1/28 - 7pm)

Jeseph

We need UB Mad Libs.  For somebody that did not watch the game.

Today at Akron, _____ was pulled from the starting lineup in favor of _______.  The Bulls shot 29% in the first half for 33 points and was (up/down) _ points at the half.  Brock Bertram had __ minutes and Josh Mballa finished the game with _ personal fouls.  After _____ led almost the entire game, ______ made the game winning 3 pointer to seal the win.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, rma said:

We need UB Mad Libs.  For somebody that did not watch the game.

Today at Akron, _____ was pulled from the starting lineup in favor of _______.  The Bulls shot 29% in the first half for 33 points and was (up/down) _ points at the half.  Brock Bertram had __ minutes and Josh Mballa finished the game with _ personal fouls.  After _____ led almost the entire game, ______ made the game winning 3 pointer to seal the win.

You forgot...

The Bulls shot ___% from the charity stripe despite Jordan getting a miss due to a ______ violation.

21 hours ago, UB92 said:

I know...

Two years ago we thoroughly embarrassed Akron at their place.  Last year was a closer match, but we got the better of them in the second half.  

For a team that has been near the top most years, I think they are going to remember the recent UB domination and really be motivated to turn the tables in a big way.  

While I would like to be very wrong, this one has all the makings of an 80ish to 60ish score...

Make me eat my words, Bulls!

My words taste good, actually.  Thanks, Bulls!   

Wasn’t how I thought it would go in any aspect, but foul shooting and rebounding won the game.  And that last shot, of course.  

This league is very close among the teams. There's not going to be a run-away by anyone like we did last year, no matter what Akron/BG's records currently are. Pretty much every game is winnable for either side, especially when it comes to every UB game. This team grinded this one out. It's something they wouldn't have done earlier in the year. 10 players getting minutes in the 1st half. Gallion playing in the 1st half, multiple times, who saw that? Surely not me. Grant coming up big with many big plays tonight. Mballa was huge on the boards, but it would've been even bigger without the numerous turnovers. If anyone would've said before the game, UB will shoot 38% and turn it over 20 times, including 8 more times than Akron, we all would've figured UB would've lost by 20. But they didn't, they found the way to win. They are capable of this. Are they capable of laying an egg? We've seen it before, hopefully we won't again. Maybe this is the corner-turner that we've been waiting for. We'll find out on Friday with another 1st place opponent. Hopefully it's a full freaking arena!

Akron entered the game shooting 47% from 3 in conference games. Bulls held them to under 27%. Bulls kicked their ass on the boards and shot extremely well from the free throw line. They won by 3. What does this show? This is going to be a grind. Every game is up for grabs. The Bulls will be competitive in every one. Bowling Green is here on Friday. I hope the students are back because the Bulls can use all the help they can get. Go Bulls!

• Like 1

What a game, huge win. Gabe grant stepping up, I gotta give the kid credit where due. I think he is finally kind of understanding his role off bench and not forcing it. Johnson finally playing up to his potential too. It’s clear we can beat anyone or lose to anyone, just hoping to see some consistency in the bowling green game, which is a game we gotta find a way to get.

These comments should be taken in the context that I followed the score online but didn't see the game.

I love how Johnson and Grant have bought-in defensively.  Johnson is more careful with his shot selection, and Grant is playing with a little more fire.  MAC play is tough and it's good to have some seniors chipping in positive contributions.

Mballa the rebounding machine.  And the team overall.  What they may lack compared to the last couple years in talent and focus, they sure work hard.

It sounds like the game play wasn't pretty, but road wins usually aren't.  This UB team is able to win any game and lose any game.  I'm really impressed how they've responded all season after set-backs, to me that speaks to the coaching and the leadership getting the team on track and guys buying-in.

I came across an expanded box score this morning.   Thought I would share with some observations:

1922114724_BoxScoreStatsAkron.JPG.e0b937676d06d24dd7685fe7709ad0d8.JPG

There were a total of 77 possessions for each team.  For the game, Akron had two more field goal attempts (64 vs 62).  The keys to the game:

• Offensive rebounding - our advantage on the boards almost completely offset the high number of turnovers resulting in roughly equal numbers of field goal attempts.  
  • Points in the paint vs 3PT - 52% of our field goal attempts were at the rim or dunks compared to 39% for Akron.  They relied more heavily on the 3PT shot (47% vs 39%).  Since they shot only 27% from the 3PT - below their average for season. 
  • Free throw shooting - great performance for us shooting 88% especially given number of free throws attempted by both teams.  The excellent performance was key.
  • Like 2

Huge win last night, thankfully they pulled it off because otherwise we’d be talking about all the little things that cost us. Multiple travels by Williams and Mballa, the technical to Rondo, fouls on 3 point shots, etc. They’ll have to clean those things up for Friday, bowling green is no joke!

43 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I came across an expanded box score this morning.   Thought I would share with some observations:

1922114724_BoxScoreStatsAkron.JPG.e0b937676d06d24dd7685fe7709ad0d8.JPG

There were a total of 77 possessions for each team.  For the game, Akron had two more field goal attempts (64 vs 62).  The keys to the game:

• Offensive rebounding - our advantage on the boards almost completely offset the high number of turnovers resulting in roughly equal numbers of field goal attempts.  
  • Points in the paint vs 3PT - 52% of our field goal attempts were at the rim or dunks compared to 39% for Akron.  They relied more heavily on the 3PT shot (47% vs 39%).  Since they shot only 27% from the 3PT - below their average for season. 
  • Free throw shooting - great performance for us shooting 88% especially given number of free throws attempted by both teams.  The excellent performance was key.

Thanks for the in-depth stats. The high turnover rate was offset by our positive rebounding and free throw shooting. If Akron even came close to their 3 point shooting % I don’t know if we could of won this game. Williams still has a long way to go to become a consistent D-1 player still playing out of control but still hopeful he can improve. Would love to see Segu use that drive to the hoop and use that pull up jumper. Still really interesting how the game has changed with the 3 point line where teams continue to shoot 3’s even when they are having off games. It is like teams can not or will not change their game plans. Do agree we have to continue to rebound and improve at the free throw line to be successful and stop fouling players when taking 3 pointers. One other observation: Do we seem to play better on the road than at home and do we seem to get uptight at home when we struggle??? Kudos to the team with a great win against a good Akron team. Go Bulls!!!

• Jeseph unpinned this topic