Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Women vs. Central Michigan 1-29-2020

14 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

In addition to the game being on ESPN3 it will be available on Directv on channel 798, depending on the package that you have.

It will be interesting to see how we can match up against CMU especially with their top two players graduating. It really does not seem like they have missed a beat from last year. WE will have to have a total team effort with good games from Fair and Onwuka to compete with CMU. Go Bulls!!!!~~

On 1/28/2020 at 2:58 PM, John said:

It will be interesting to see how we can match up against CMU especially with their top two players graduating. It really does not seem like they have missed a beat from last year. WE will have to have a total team effort with good games from Fair and Onwuka to compete with CMU. Go Bulls!!!!~~

Well so far CMU is running us off the floor.

9 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

CMU's coach (Sue's replacement) sure looks familiar.  Ah, no wonder... 9 year assistant at CMU.    The power of hiring from within.  I hope UB's AD is noticing...

I don’t know if Sharkey would want it, but I would hope whoever is in charge would highly consider her when the time comes.

8 hours ago, NYS Bulls said:

Did she go like 0-10 down the stretch and in OT? tough....

By my count, it was 1-12 in the 4th Q and OTs for FGs.  On the game, she was 10-31 FG and 1-5 3PT.  Yes, alot of points (29) but alot of missed shots.

I call her the human vacuum. Once she gets the ball in the front court, she doesn't pass (probably more like 80-90% she takes the shot). 

Not sure is she's had it before but since her suspension for one game, she's had this nasty scowl on her face. I feel she thinks she needs to prove something.

7 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

I call her the human vacuum. Once she gets the ball in the front court, she doesn't pass (probably more like 80-90% she takes the shot). 

Very similar to Dillard. But Fair does occasionally put up great assist numbers

9 minutes ago, rma said:

Very similar to Dillard. But Fair does occasionally put up great assist numbers

Fair so far this year is 80 TO and 76 Assists. 5 TO last night with 3 Assists.

Dillard last year was 129 TO and 194 Assists.

Fair needs to drive the basket (like she does) and then pass out for others to get the 3. That was what Dillard would do.

The team this year is 343 TOs to 244 Assists. Very bad numbers.

16 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Fair so far this year is 80 TO and 76 Assists. 5 TO last night with 3 Assists.

Dillard last year was 129 TO and 194 Assists.

Fair needs to drive the basket (like she does) and then pass out for others to get the 3. That was what Dillard would do.

The team this year is 343 TOs to 244 Assists. Very bad numbers.

I mean, you're also comparing a true freshman to a 5th year senior, so there has to be some accounting for the age & experience difference, in addition to the young teammates that she has. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Gaba started out strong with 2 very strong low post moves.  Finished one with her left hand, and the second with the right.  We went to her in the low post a few times after that, but she seemed to have a problem with holding on to the ball for much of the game.

Her free throws were huge in an otherwise less than outstanding performance. But she has gotten much better since the beginning of the season. Much more confidence. 

47 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I mean, you're also comparing a true freshman to a 5th year senior, so there has to be some accounting for the age & experience difference, in addition to the young teammates that she has. 

I hate to be the “next year” guy, but this year we have a WNIT team. Next year if we have Summer, Hall, Fair, Addy, etc we can make a dent in the NCAA again. If we had Summer this year we’d probably be pushing an at-large bid/MAC championship. Again. With all we lost. 

Maybe I missed it but I did not see Walters out there yesterday. 

45 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

She was on the bench dressed, but didn't play.

Know it is hard to question coaching decisions with all the success Coach Jack has. From one game to the next Players like Walters,Adeyeye and Gaba will play significant minutes to no minutes at all. Think we could of used Adeyeye and Walters for a better down low presence. The overtime periods were tough as we had a lot of one on one plays with not a lot of ball or player movement. When Fair went down with an ankle injury in I believe late in the 4th quarter she did not seem to be moving with her same quickness. When we went to man to man defense in the 3rd quarter and on that brought us back into the game. With this young group of players our zone defense is not very good especially against the better teams that are quicker with good ball movement. CMU does to look like they have missed a beat from last year with another outstanding freshmen in Molly Davis. Hope for some improvement in our turnover and assist ratio in the upcoming games. Go Bulls!!!!

14 minutes ago, John said:

Know it is hard to question coaching decisions with all the success Coach Jack has. From one game to the next Players like Walters,Adeyeye and Gaba will play significant minutes to no minutes at all. Think we could of used Adeyeye and Walters for a better down low presence. The overtime periods were tough as we had a lot of one on one plays with not a lot of ball or player movement. When Fair went down with an ankle injury in I believe late in the 4th quarter she did not seem to be moving with her same quickness. When we went to man to man defense in the 3rd quarter and on that brought us back into the game. With this young group of players our zone defense is not very good especially against the better teams that are quicker with good ball movement. CMU does to look like they have missed a beat from last year with another outstanding freshmen in Molly Davis. Hope for some improvement in our turnover and assist ratio in the upcoming games. Go Bulls!!!!

Adeyeye was seen on the bike multiple times throughout the game. Maybe she's dealing with a small injury? Gaba played quite well and is developing into a very solid player. Christie definitely had a solid game as well, lots of rebounds and some good long range shots.

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Adeyeye was seen on the bike multiple times throughout the game. Maybe she's dealing with a small injury? Gaba played quite well and is developing into a very solid player. Christie definitely had a solid game as well, lots of rebounds and some good long range shots.

Yes I seen Adeyeye on the bike too. When games like this come down to a few plays that determine the winner in many cases it comes down to the officials as usual. There were 3 or 4 calls by the officials that went against us and if you let the officials determine the outcome usually you are in big trouble. Again there is no accountability with the officials that I an see. Go Bulls!!!

3 hours ago, skrabukes said:

If Fair needs to develop, then she should spend some time on the bench so others can come in. She shouldn't need to feel "she" needs to do it all. What happened to the Dickson sisters? Why hasn't Finess played all year?

3 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Gaba started out strong with 2 very strong low post moves.  Finished one with her left hand, and the second with the right.  We went to her in the low post a few times after that, but she seemed to have a problem with holding on to the ball for much of the game.

I'm not as big a fan on Gaba as The Coach. She can get minutes but why put her in during the clutch (OTs). She does not have good hands (and not very athletic) but occasionally has a move to the basket (that surprises me). Why wasn't Hamilton in the game during the final stretch? Somebody else already asked about Walters.

42 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

If Fair needs to develop, then she should spend some time on the bench so others can come in. She shouldn't need to feel "she" needs to do it all. What happened to the Dickson sisters? Why hasn't Finess played all year?

I'm not as big a fan on Gaba as The Coach. She can get minutes but why put her in during the clutch (OTs). She does not have good hands (and not very athletic) but occasionally has a move to the basket (that surprises me). Why wasn't Hamilton in the game during the final stretch? Somebody else already asked about Walters.

So while Fair is on the bench, who do you suggest that the team puts in? I'm sure that there are countless better options than someone who's scoring in the top 5 in the country in points/game, regardless of shooting % and assist/turnover numbers.

Finess is hurt. I'm not sure where Aireal was.

Coach Jack's rotation of the forwards has changed multiple times throughout the year. Some games Gaba hasn't seen the floor at all with Adeyeye and Walters getting all the minutes, while other's have had Gaba getting the bulk. The Coach surely has a plan and I don't think that anyone here should wish to question it. It's possible that there was a match-up that Coach liked or just had a "feeling". Regardless, I'll back Coach Jack's decision pretty much every time, as she's phenomenal at what she does. I have only had one difference of opinion with her plan always, and that always is in the winding moments of a quarter when we rarely if ever take the last shot or go for the 2-for-1 opportunities. Regardless, I'd gladly put my faith in her coaching abilities and "coaches decision" when it comes to playing time/plays/sets.

51 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

So while Fair is on the bench, who do you suggest that the team puts in? I'm sure that there are countless better options than someone who's scoring in the top 5 in the country in points/game, regardless of shooting % and assist/turnover numbers.

Okay, a few (too many stats).

Fair has the 2nd highest FGA in the country (369) but the 30th in the country in FGM (134).  Not in the top 250 in FG%.  

33rd in the country in minutes played per game.

Dillard finished the season last year 15th in the country in Assists. Fair so far this year is 105.

I just wish she would be more of a team player. That's all I'm asking for.  She shouldn't be a one-person team.

39 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Fair has the 2nd highest FGA in the country (369) but the 30th in the country in FGM (134).  Not in the top 250 in FG%.  

Dillard finished the season last year 15th in the country in Assists. Fair so far this year is 105.

I just wish she would be more of a team player. That's all I'm asking for.  She shouldn't be a one-person team.

Fair looks to be a very talented and athletic player and I do agree she seems to take the ball and tries to do it all herself. Against a more talented team like CMU they were able to play better team defense against her and she forced many contested shots without looking for someone to pass to. Ultimately it should come down to the coaches to change offensively and come up with plays for the entire team. Again the majority of the players are very young and hope Coach Jack can come up with some different offensive plays. Not sure what happened to Finess as I don’t see her on the bench and Aireal  looked decent last year in her limited playing time as a point guard but seems to have lost any semblance of playing time. Just like the men this year looks like a very uneven year with not really knowing what you are going to get from one game to the next. Will be there every step of the way to support our teams. Go Bulls!!!!!

2 hours ago, bullsbball said:

I still think comparing a 1st year Fair to a 5th year Dillard is very un-Fair. I'm quite confident that Fair's 1st year vs Dillard's would be much more reasonable.  Did we compare Segu or Williams to Perk and CJ last year? It's not fair comparisons.

I get the point and I'm not disagreeing with it in principle, but our overall weapons are also much leaner than the past few years as well so at times, someone needs to take the reigns,  for better or worse. She has the most ability to create her own shot and other's of anyone on this squad. If Summer was playing, I'm sure we'd see a different player out of her.

15 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I still think comparing a 1st year Fair to a 5th year Dillard is very un-Fair. I'm quite confident that Fair's 1st year vs Dillard's would be much more reasonable.  Did we compare Segu or Williams to Perk and CJ last year? It's not fair comparisons.

I get the point and I'm not disagreeing with it in principle, but our overall weapons are also much leaner than the past few years as well so at times, someone needs to take the reigns,  for better or worse. She has the most ability to create her own shot and other's of anyone on this squad. If Summer was playing, I'm sure we'd see a different player out of her.

Do agree it is unfair to compare Fair and Dillard at this time of their careers. Dillard was a bigger and more stronger player in all aspects and Fair’s size at 5’5’ could prove to be a disadvantage against the more athletic D-1 players. Dillard also played with a older and more experienced team and she had more years playing against D-1 competition. It is up to this coaching staff to see if they can channel Fair’s athletic talent in the right direction. Go Bulls!!!!