Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bowling Green @ Buffalo (1/31 - 7pm)

Jeseph

I'll continue my trend of over-reacting with every win/loss. The season ended (again) after the Kent State loss and it's back on after getting a huge win at Akron. IMO we need to win-out at home to have a chance at winning this conference and continuing our run into March Madness.

BGSU is led by a really strong trio of Turner, Plowden and Frye (man, do I hate watching him play). That's a lot to handle for a team that has struggled against star players and with overall team defense -- can't exactly double up with 3 really solid players like this. They don't get a ton of rebounding outside of Plowden -- who can be a monster on any given night.

Bulls will NEED to limit TOs. If we can rebound and shoot FTs with the focus that we did against Akron we can win this thing at home and maintain contact with the top of the league. A win puts us right in it as Akron/Kent are facing off on the same night.

GO BULLS

After last nights huge win, if Alumni isn’t packed and loud I will be disappointed. Students are back and it’s a Friday night national TV game...no excuses. Show up. 

As for the game, this could be a huge week for us in which we take down the top team in the league at the times in which we played them. Our Bulls can beat anyone and lose to anyone. Let’s hope we continue to play defense as we have the last two games. BG has weapons, so focus on defense will be key. On offense we have to keep attacking the rim and getting to the line. Johnson has excelled at that. Obviously hit our free throws and limit turnovers. Go Bulls!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

After last nights huge win, if Alumni isn’t packed and loud I will be disappointed. Students are back and it’s a Friday night national TV game...no excuses. Show up. 

As for the game, this could be a huge week for us in which we take down the top team in the league at the times in which we played them. Our Bulls can beat anyone and lose to anyone. Let’s hope we continue to play defense as we have the last two games. BG has weapons, so focus on defense will be key. On offense we have to keep attacking the rim and getting to the line. Johnson has excelled at that. Obviously hit our free throws and limit turnovers. Go Bulls!

Do agree. I would just like to see us play a good 40 minute game.because I don’t think they have played a clean home game yet. I guess we have been spoiled these last few years on how our teams have played at home. Hope we have the 5,000+ crowd to see a great win.Go Bulls!!!!!

15 hours ago, squire17 said:

I want 6000+ or SRO

NOOOOO!   I don't mind SRO if it isn't too many.  Last year, we had people standing 6 deep in the end sections.  Many couldn't even see the game.   Couldn't walk through from one side to the other without getting your beer bumped.  People with GA tickets pissing a moaning that "I paid for a seat. Why can't I sit".   Don't get me wrong.  It's great to sell out and have some SRO.  Last year they were selling way too many tickets late in the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

NOOOOO!   I don't mind SRO if it isn't too many.  Last year, we had people standing 6 deep in the end sections.  Many couldn't even see the game.   Couldn't walk through from one side to the other without getting your beer bumped.  People with GA tickets pissing a moaning that "I paid for a seat. Why can't I sit".   Don't get me wrong.  It's great to sell out and have some SRO.  Last year they were selling way too many tickets late in the season.

C'mon CH, drink your beer faster then!

I doub't we'll see 6 deep for Friday's game, but it would be nice if all of the seats and end-zones would be full. Some people prefer to stand on track than sit in the corner of the end-zone (I think). 

13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We are listed as 4.5 point favorites.

Wonder how that is?? We have lost home games to NIU, Kent State, Army and Dartmouth and BG has a better record than us. As long as we win the point spread is just for the bettors I guess. Go Bulls!!!!!

34 minutes ago, John said:

Wonder how that is?? We have lost home games to NIU, Kent State, Army and Dartmouth and BG has a better record than us. As long as we win the point spread is just for the bettors I guess. Go Bulls!!!!!

There’s variables that factor in. We are the home team. Regardless of prior losses that means something. We are trending up, having won 5 of 6 and beat the then best team in the conference on the road. Students are back and the crowd should be lively. 

4 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

Jordan has to step up tonight and Johnson has to continue his strong play. They're likely to draw the two most difficult defensive match ups. Bowling Green is likely the best team we've played since DePaul. We can't give them anything less than our A game. 

I think it's critical that we, for a change, get out to a good start. We'll likely have a large and ready-to-explode crowd on hand. If we start off slow we lose that advantage. Let's turn this into a replay of the Kent blackout game!

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I think it's critical that we, for a change, get out to a good start. We'll likely have a large and ready-to-explode crowd on hand. If we start off slow we lose that advantage. Let's turn this into a replay of the Kent blackout game!

Any word from the box office or elsewhere on ticket sales/size of crowd?

I dont know why this team struggles at home, but this should the first time we truly have a home court advantage.   Non-conf was just blah at home....students have been away.  Tonights the night to get that home court feeling back.

Big match up to me is Mballa vs Plowden.   If we control Plowden on the boards they almost don't have anyone else that rebounds consistently.   He's had 4 games straight of 9+ rebounds.   BG has 5 main guys and Plowden is the tallest one at 6'6.

I almost think we let Frye and Turner get theirs and we focus on shutting down Plowden.   You shut him down and you take away their whole inside game.  Guys like Williams and Hardnett could have big games if they pull down a bunch of offensive rebounds.

And Graves needs to snap out of it.   I know he's been sick, but he's been kind of a non-factor for the last 5 games.

Last 5 games Graves is the following

27 for 74 (36%), 7 for 29 on 3's (24%),  14pts a game.  Then  4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block.   And 60% FTs.   All way below his average.  

Previous 5 before that

36 for 78 (46%), 16 for 36 (44%), Over 20pts a game.   5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals.  And 80% FTs.  

1 hour ago, dbburns said:

I dont know why this team struggles at home, but this should the first time we truly have a home court advantage.   Non-conf was just blah at home....students have been away.  Tonights the night to get that home court feeling back.

Completely agree. I hope the place is loud. This team will feed off that. The next two Friday nights we have nationally televised home games. Time to defend the home court and take advantage of what should be a home court advantage.