Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bowling Green @ Buffalo (1/31 - 7pm)

Jeseph

56 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

A quiet 5322. They were loud at times but IMO not loud enough throughout the ebs and flows of the game. 

Doesn’t help when the team has the most home losses (5) in the MAC and tied for the worst home record in the conference. 

it’s been a wild season from the national record to this 

Edited by NYS Bulls

This was a disappointing loss especially from the standpoint of how well they played in the first half.  Sure there were some poor shots at times and some turnovers you would like back.  This team does not have much margin for error and in the end it came down to free throws. 

One thing that I will call out as a big positive 24 offensive rebounds.    Great effort there!

I take solace in fact that they are capable of winning against any MAC team despite being a team that is relatively young.   The future looks bright.  

Edited by DocCas86

Post-mortem for me 12 hours later - 

Game came down to having a couple extra turnovers and going 6/13 at the line.  Simple as that.  I didn't think they played terrible, but BG is a pretty good team and you need to be able to execute late to beat teams like that.  Missed 3 crucial FTs down the stretch and it could prove to be the difference.

I must have been watching a different game than you guys, because I thought Graves played very well.  He went shot-for-shot with the best player in the conference (much like he did against Kyle Lofton in the Bona game), and I think you could say he outplayed him.  Mballa continues to be a monster, and I thought Williams played pretty well. 

Three home conference losses by a combined 6 points.  That's the difference between 5-4 and 8-1 and controlling your own destiny in the second half of the conference schedule.

Edited by UBlearns
Edit - well, Loren Cristian Jackson is probably the best player in the conference, but Turner is up there.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UBlearns said:

Post-mortem for me 12 hours later - 

Game came down to having a couple extra turnovers and going 6/13 at the line.  Simple as that.  I didn't think they played terrible, but BG is a pretty good team and you need to be able to execute late to beat teams like that.  Missed 3 crucial FTs down the stretch and it could prove to be the difference.

I must have been watching a different game than you guys, because I thought Graves played very well.  He went shot-for-shot with the best player in the conference (much like he did against Kyle Lofton in the Bona game), and I think you could say he outplayed him.  Mballa continues to be a monster, and I thought Williams played pretty well. 

Three home conference losses by a combined 6 points.  That's the difference between 5-4 and 8-1 and controlling your own destiny in the second half of the conference schedule.

Do agree. This game was a complete reversal of their previous home games. The first halves for the most part have been terrible with no energy and very little ball movement. The BG game was their best by far in the first half with great energy, ball movement and overall rebounding. The second half was poor ball movement with players trying to do It all by themselves and of course poor 3 point shooting along with the horrid free throw shooting. Agree in close games like many previously it comes down to turnovers and free throw shooting and when you have to hope you get officiating calls you usually come out on the losing end. Again there were some terrible calls that went against us but if we had made our free throws by Jordan, Williams and Graves at the end who knows if the outcome would be different. Anyone who seen the Women’s game against CMU it was almost the same scenario with the same result.  All the remaining games especially at home look to be games of inconsistency with no real confidence of us winning close games. Will try to enjoy the remaining games and take whatever positives we get from each game. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

But should take solace in the fact we are a young team that just showed it can beat the best the mac has to offer

Still a month away from March, time to iron out the inconsistencies the best they can and make a run in Cleveland

Did we though? We blew a lead at home and lost..

What about this team makes people feel like consistencies are being ironed out and that we have a chance in Cleveland?

We’re a middle of the road MAC team that plays well every few games but lacks leadership and “it factor”. I just don’t see this turning out as another trip to the Tourney. Do we even win a home playoff game?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

A quiet 5322. They were loud at times but IMO not loud enough throughout the ebs and flows of the game. 

Wish the students outside of the band and first five rows of True Blue would stand up.  DJ Yes is killing the vibes too.  I'd argue it's better with the intern or whoever does the in-game music for the ladies.

27 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

What about this team makes people feel like consistencies are being ironed out and that we have a chance in Cleveland?

We’re a middle of the road MAC team that plays well every few games but lacks leadership and “it factor”. I just don’t see this turning out as another trip to the Tourney. Do we even win a home playoff game?

Do also agree. I thought Jordan could be the key factor for us this year as far as leadership and improvement in all aspects from last year. He has failed in all aspects and  the team is who they are as far as the inconsistencies in sloppy ball handling, lack of ball movement and the biggest key is horrid free throw shooting. I am really tired of hearing about how athletic and talented they are. There are teams all over the country like that but if players don’t  have the right mental makeup and basketball !Q along with being athletically talented success can be hard to attain. Will still be there every step of the way and hopeful these remaining games see some improvement . Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

This team is different half to half, let alone game to game or week to week. 

we have watched this team into February and we think after MAYBE scraping by a home MAC tourny win to go to Cleveland that they are going to win four straight? Three against Akron/Kent/BG/NIU/Ball State?

i want some of whatever it is that we are drinking. 

Edited by NYS Bulls
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, John said:

Do also agree. I thought Jordan could be the key factor for us this year as far as leadership and improvement in all aspects from last year. He has failed in all aspects and  the team is who they are as far as the inconsistencies in sloppy ball handling, lack of ball movement and the biggest key is horrid free throw shooting. I am really tired of hearing about how athletic and talented they are. There are teams all over the country like that but if players don’t  have the right mental makeup and basketball !Q along with being athletically talented success can be hard to attain. Will still be there every step of the way and hopeful these remaining games see some improvement . Go Bulls!!!!

Jordan has shortcomings - epically poor at the foul line, has a tendency to get out of control with the ball, but he plays relentlessly on defense, is shooting 38.5% from 3 (tops among UB) and 50.4% from 2 (third best). His assist rate per kenpom is currently 101st in DI. Flawed? Sure, but he hasn’t failed in all respects IMO. 

We have shown we can beat any team in the MAC on any given day. We have shown we can lose to any team on any given day. What that equals to me is a team, at the moment, that can’t play consistent enough to win 4 games in a row come March.

No one can sit here and tell me BG is that much better than us. Or Kent or Akron. The point is the MAC is wide open. BG and Akron may be on a collision course but even that is not a certainty. It may be one of those tournaments where the hottest team wins. Or team with the hottest player wins.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We have shown we can beat any team in the MAC on any given day. We have shown we can lose to any team on any given day. What that equals to me is a team, at the moment, that can’t play consistent enough to win 4 games in a row come March.

No one can sit here and tell me BG is that much better than us. Or Kent or Akron. The point is the MAC is wide open. BG and Akron may be on a collision course but even that is not a certainty. It may be one of those tournaments where the hottest team wins. Or team with the hottest player wins.

I think BG is, yes. 

They have won 8 straight, taken care of all their challenges, and came out out of half and made adjustments to beat UB by 12 in the second half. Has UB ever made glaring adjustments to win a game (IE Ball State). They are 2-7 when down at half.

Thats what a good team does. 

UB is 2-3 at home in MAC play. Them even getting to Cleveland may be a struggle at this point and the schedule doesn't get that much easier. 

Edited by NYS Bulls

This team is very similar to nates second year as head coach here, you see the talent, you can see they can beat and lose to anyone. Now they just need experience and to mature

This season is like every season in Mac play. Anyone can beat anyone.

Its not uncommon for the mac tournament winner to be a mid seed

Wasn't Kent state 4 years ago a 6 seed, weren't we like 4 or 5 the first couple times we went?

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I can't really disagree with anything you say here.

But will say is this: we are a mid major team, mid majors win with seniors. We have played the top 2 upperclassmen laden teams back to back and came away 1 and 1. We are a young team that still has a shot at a top 4 seed. 

Sometimes losing is the best way to learn how to win, after all that's why these kids are at ub to do, learn

Graves was anointed “Player of the Game” by the in-house announcer with 4 minutes remaining in a close game - a game that had J Turner consistently scoring at will down the stretch. It’s as absurd as it can get. Graves actually had a very good game, but who pays the people who make these silly announcements? I’m going to the O St game at Mich on Tuesday with my daughter. She assures me that it will have considerable annoying, pointless noise and silliness in addition to the actual game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, squire17 said:

Jordan has shortcomings - epically poor at the foul line, has a tendency to get out of control with the ball, but he plays relentlessly on defense, is shooting 38.5% from 3 (tops among UB) and 50.4% from 2 (third best). His assist rate per kenpom is currently 101st in DI. Flawed? Sure, but he hasn’t failed in all respects IMO. 

Thanks for the corrections and failing in all aspects was probably the wrong choice of words. In the majority of games he has made more bad plays than good especially in the BG game, missing layups, bad passes and I just Can’t get passed the free throw shooting. Maybe some of us fans expected too much out of him and that is my fault. I know stats are wonderful to talk about but all the stats don’t mean a thing if you lose games. Unless you start winning games the old saying “we will learn from our mistakes” is just talk.  Will continue to hope for some improvement in future games and try to look at stats as little victories even if we lose games.

• Like 1

I have been reading in the forum regarding the team's performance this year (performing as expected or underperforming - don't think anyone is thinking they are overperforming).  In addition, another question is whether this team can win the MAC tournament.  If the tournament were to start today, they would be seventh seed and would need to win four games.   So, at this point, in my rough estimation chances of the Bulls winning MAC tournament are between 5% and 10%.  To add a little more context, here are the rankings for MAC teams the past five years (Buffalo ranking is in Red) along with indication as to which team won the tournament.

48345290_MACRankings.thumb.JPG.a97c4f551880cbb571c346fb19152a4d.JPG

MAC Winner 2015-16 - Buffalo had a 10-8 conference record and was a number 3 seed.

MAC Winner 2016-17 - Kent St had 10-8 conference record and was a number 6 seed.

MAC Winner 2017-18 - Buffalo had a 15-3 conference record and was a number 1 seed.

MAC Winner 2018-19 - Buffalo had a 16-2 conference record and was a number 1 seed.

If rankings are accurate - it would appear that Akron is a cut above rest of MAC and would be favorite.  Of course there are still 9 more games to play, so there will likely be some movement in rankings by end of the year.   If Akron's ranking were to slip a little, the distribution of rankings will be more like 2015-16 and 2016-17, where teams with 4/5 best ranking, roughly ~140 (not seed in MAC) won the tournament.  In that scenario - I wouldn't rule out the Bulls with current ranking of 152, but it will be tougher if they are not top four seed.

I am not going to thoroughly address the underperform vs meet expectation at this time - but I will point out is that the strength of the MAC this year appears similar to 2016-17.  If you look at team experience this year vs 2016-17 team - I feel they have similar experience.  Based solely on rank 142 for 2016-17 vs 152 current year - I would say they are performing as expected.

Edited by DocCas86

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

So you honestly think they are a top 25 team? If so I have some bridges in NYC I could sell you.

I'll do a group by with people that still think we're going to win it all in Cleveland!

Ok, I'll stop - I just use this board for cathartic release.