Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bowling Green @ Buffalo (1/31 - 7pm)

Jeseph

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I'll do a group by with people that still think we're going to win it all in Cleveland!

Ok, I'll stop - I just use this board for cathartic release.

I’m one of those who thinks we can win it all. So there’s my cathartic release. 

BG and Akron to me are the top tier in the conference. Perhaps Ball St, CMU (I’m not buying their 6-2 start) Kent St and UB are tier 2. NIU and Toledo in their 3. Then tier 4 is everyone else. I maintain the MAC is very much wide open. And for the most part anyone can beat anyone on any given day. I’ve seen nothing to show me that BG is A) a top 25 team and B) that much better than us. If they are that much better than us then why play. Just have a game right now between BG and Akron for the auto bid. There was my cathartic release lol.

On 2/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, DocCas86 said:

48345290_MACRankings.thumb.JPG.a97c4f551880cbb571c346fb19152a4d.JPG

Doc, I appreciate this more and more each time I look at it.  To me, it really shows the importance of having a core of players who stick together for 4 years.

All the board comments asking, "who is the go to scorer?", got me to begin to compare the current player's experience (in terms of years, years together, games played/started, points scored and other stats) with those of the previous teams  It's still much too rough, and may never be polished enough to share.  But for exmple, I feel like if people want Graves to be THE end of game guy, then compare his current point total with CJ's from mid '17-'18 (the same eligibility year).  Do they have similar scoring experience?  Should we really expect the same results?

Anyway, thanks for the graphic, and keep them coming!

(if I had time, I'd also track the seniority level and experience within the other MAC teams... attempting to predict where each school was in their mid-major boom and bust cycle.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

Doc, I appreciate this more and more each time I look at it.  To me, it really shows the importance of having a core of players who stick together for 4 years.

All the board comments asking, "who is the go to scorer?", got me to begin to compare the current player's experience (in terms of years, years together, games played/started, points scored and other stats) with those of the previous teams  It's still much too rough, and may never be polished enough to share.  But for exmple, I feel like if people want Graves to be THE end of game guy, then compare his current point total with CJ's from mid '17-'18 (the same eligibility year).  Do they have similar scoring experience?  Should we really expect the same results?

Anyway, thanks for the graphic, and keep them coming!

(if I had time, I'd also track the seniority level and experience within the other MAC teams... attempting to predict where each school was in their mid-major boom and bust cycle.)

Thank you... to be honest I didn't think this resonated with people.  There are certainly a lot of factors that contribute to team success and the fact that the team was very experienced last year and had years playing together definitely helped.  However as it was pointed out to me is that each of the players had to be committed and work hard at improving.  You also had Oats pushing them.  I am not at practices now and can't judge Whitesell yet, but he will have to find ways the rest of this year to get team to balance teaching and motivating the team to. continually push themselves.  One thing that this team does well that points to hard work it's the offensive rebounding. Let's hope they progress in remainder of this year and into next.

• Thanks 2