Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Who is our go to guy when we need a basket?

UB85

Whitesell clearly thinks Jayvon is. Personally I don’t think we have one that we can count on. That’s why the ABCS of the game imo are the most important for this team to reach its potential this season. That means tenacious defense, rebounding and intensity for 40 minutes. Also need to be smart on offense moving it from side to side and in and out to get open looks and pass the ball to open teammate when you drive into two defenders. 

13 hours ago, NYS Bulls said:

They don’t have one, that’s the issue. 

Graves missed a FT, Grant throws up a frantic 2 after having 6 seconds, Graves slips on a standard drive to the hoop and Jordan is fouled intentionally and taking wild leaners.

Do agree. The hope was that Graves and especially Jordan would be the main cogs and that somehow Grant and Johnson would provide the added addition in scoring and senior leadership. None has been accomplished. The biggest disappointment has been Jordan who has been sloppy and inconsistent with many turnovers and poor overall shooting especially from the free throw line. . This far into the season I cannot foresee a big change in the positive direction and with our home record the visiting teams will be confident that they can win. Go Bulls!!!

2 hours ago, Erie County said:

We don't have anyone down the stretch for a bucket and the team has lost many times on it already (NIU, Kent, BG).

It honestly might be Jordan.

The unlikely Grant (29%) hit an unlikely shot with 7 seconds left against Akron.

I don’t know about Jordan mainly because when the other teams scout us I would think just foul him because he is more than likely going to miss all his free throws. A point guard has to shoot better than 50% from the foul line and in the Women’s side Hanna Hall has not improved from last year as she can’t create her own shots and is very inconsistent from the 3 point line. Not having a true point guard as a go to player translates to losing games especially when the games are tight.

Thanks for the comments. This is an interesting question. But I think Whitesell made the right call at the end of the BG game. Just poor execution to be sure. Graves is athletic enough to get to the rim but he doesn’t have a pull up and when he decides to take it to the hoop rarely if ever does he pass the rock. This leads to some great baskets but all too many times a bad shot, pass or blocked shot when he runs into a secondary defender or doesn’t get a step on his defender. Because he’s predictable I think there’s a great opportunity next time we’re in this situation for him to drive but rather than trying to get all the way to the bucket kick it out to a teammate for a 3. But who takes the shot?

7 hours ago, UB85 said:

Thanks for the comments. This is an interesting question. But I think Whitesell made the right call at the end of the BG game. Just poor execution to be sure. Graves is athletic enough to get to the rim but he doesn’t have a pull up and when he decides to take it to the hoop rarely if ever does he pass the rock. This leads to some great baskets but all too many times a bad shot, pass or blocked shot when he runs into a secondary defender or doesn’t get a step on his defender. Because he’s predictable I think there’s a great opportunity next time we’re in this situation for him to drive but rather than trying to get all the way to the bucket kick it out to a teammate for a 3. But who takes the shot?

Statistically, Jordan (38.5%) or Segu (36.5%) are the top sharpshooters from 3. If Jordan gets it, they foul him...not good for UB. By default, Segu should be their first choice. Here are the percentages for other Bulls from 3: Williams - 29.3%, Johnson - 26.6%, Grant - 25%. (Graves is currently 34.8% ). In conference at the half way point the Bulls rank 10th in 3 point and free throw percentage.

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree and tweeted about this the other night.  You could argue we have more raw talent than previous years, but we do not have a true leader.  Last year we had CJ and Perk to go to when we needed a bucket, just look at the WVU game.  Graves is a very solid complementary player with tons of skill, he just does not have that killer instinct, in my opinion.  Something needs to change in a hurry or else we are looking at a Tuesday, On-Campus MAC Tourney game come March.  We need a bye to Cleveland to have a shot.

On a positive note, this team has proven they can beat anyone in the conference on any given night.  Unfortunately, they have also proven they can lose to anyone on any given night.

Go Bulls!

I look at Mballa as kind of a Mitchell Watt with a mean streak. I don’t mean that he’s a psycho or anything. He just looks like he hates losing, he hates getting called for a foul, he has a swagger when he swats one. He has to improve his foul shooting, and a decent outside shot would be gravy.... he’s got a ways to go, but I would be surprised, if he isn’t the Bulls’ guy to go to in the not too distant future. 

• 2 weeks later...