Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ EMU (2/4 - 7pm)

Jeseph

• Jeseph pinned this topic

We need to win this one then take care of a home Friday game, getting to 7-4 with 7 left. If we can play 4-3 or better over the final 7 and have at least 11 wins, we'll have a solid shot at a top 4 seed. With the way this team has played this season, nothing is a given, they could very easily win the next 9, lose the next 9 or anything in between. The league is very close as a whole, so it's hard to fault our team when they get beat, it's just the very small correctable things that have cost them in MANY of their losses. Hopefully the job can get done against a cellar dweller on Tuesday night. I expect that it will, but as I've said to a few people this year when they ask me "what's your prediction for this game?", I expect a win, but wouldn't bet my house on it. In year's past you would know going in that you were going to win a given game, or even every once in a while feel that it just wasn't going to be our night, whereas this year I honestly cannot predict which way it will go and just have to fall back on my belief in the team and staff to get it done. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, skrabukes said:

We need to win this one then take care of a home Friday game, getting to 7-4 with 7 left. If we can play 4-3 or better over the final 7 and have at least 11 wins, we'll have a solid shot at a top 4 seed. With the way this team has played this season, nothing is a given, they could very easily win the next 9, lose the next 9 or anything in between. The league is very close as a whole, so it's hard to fault our team when they get beat, it's just the very small correctable things that have cost them in MANY of their losses. Hopefully the job can get done against a cellar dweller on Tuesday night. I expect that it will, but as I've said to a few people this year when they ask me "what's your prediction for this game?", I expect a win, but wouldn't bet my house on it. In year's past you would know going in that you were going to win a given game, or even every once in a while feel that it just wasn't going to be our night, whereas this year I honestly cannot predict which way it will go and just have to fall back on my belief in the team and staff to get it done. 

Getting to 11 wins would be nice, and the team has shown they can do that. If you look at games thus far - three of our four losses are four points or less three wins of five points or less.  In my estimation, of our remaining nine games, we will be favored in five (3 out of 4 home games; 2 out of five road games).  For the four home games remaining -  I see us being an underdog in the game against Akron (2/29).    We shall see how the season progresses - but goal should be 4-0 in the remaining home games - to do this need to shoot free throws better and limit turnovers- this would give me more optimism for the team heading into Cleveland.

First things first let's win tonight.

Must win. This is one of the worst offensive teams in the country. Zone D is really good, and they are great at getting hands in passing lanes (#1 in the country in steals per game), but if we want to be a contender, you can’t drop this game. I have been sticking up for this squad, because I think improvement has been there defensively and individually with some young guys. Losing this game would make me doubt this team big time, and erase some of my optimism for the MAC tournament. Let’s get the job done, and look decisive doing it! 

• Like 3

This is a must win, should win. I echo the statements made above. The key will be our zone offense. We’ve struggled with the zone at times this season when teams have thrown it at us. One way to beat the zone is to offensive rebound and another is to get out in transition. Look for us to do those two things.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, UBCourtside said:

Must win. This is one of the worst offensive teams in the country. Zone D is really good, and they are great at getting hands in passing lanes (#1 in the country in steals per game), but if we want to be a contender, you can’t drop this game. I have been sticking up for this squad, because I think improvement has been there defensively and individually with some young guys. Losing this game would make me doubt this team big time, and erase some of my optimism for the MAC tournament. Let’s get the job done, and look decisive doing it! 

We've had struggles finding passing lanes against "traditional" man defenses. This is the time for JW to show that he can prepare his team offensively. If we drop this game the season is in real jeopardy (I know, I know, you all want to give us slack for rebuilding but I'm sorry, it's the MAC and we're trying to be a legit program).

Edited by Jeseph
fixed typo
  • Like 2