Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

CMU @ Buffalo (2/7 - 9pm)

Jeseph

WOW!!!! That second half was brutal. But I think it’s now pretty clear what this team must do to be successful. Basically we have a below average set offense. Guys make bad decisions with the ball, take bad shots and are shooting poorly. When they’re at their best they’re playing tenacious defense. They rebound well and then get out in transition for easy baskets. When they’re defense is on then they play better offense even with their handicaps. As their offense went south in the second half tonight they got scrambly on defense and have them a variety of open looks and baskets around the hoop off rebounds, drives and passes.  

In the final analysis it’s a win. Great first half. Lousy second. But a W from which they learn something so they can get better. 

Someone has to tell Jayvon that he shouldn’t take the three unless he has time and distance to line up his shot. Unfortunately his shooting from out side has not improved since his freshman season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UB05 said:

After having 2 straight turnovers, Jordan came back with 2 steals. Graves worked hard to get rebounds and put backs today, and was a huge part of the win despite some missed shots and free throws. Grant and a Johnson have finally turned the corner too I think. Mballa and Brock had very quiet games, but Hardnett played well. Segu broke a couple ankles tonight, I’d like to see him with more playing time. And Williams is turning into a monster. Good to hold onto a win 🤟🏽

Ive been wanting to see segu run the offense with the starters, kind of push Jordan into a defender role. Let Jordan pick his spots like he has the past few years but let segu do his thing. I think it would help this year as well as help develop segu

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Credit to Jordan, played like garbage most of game, but didn’t let that effect his defense at the end. Why was Segu not on the floor in obvious fouling situation? We should have all our best ft shooters out there then. win is a win I’ll take it we need to get on a roll rest of way thru

How about Hardnett being on the floor shooting 49% from the line? 

• Like 2

I'm encouraged that they won.  Whitesell said it in the postgame on ESPN, the team needed this for their mental state, to keep spirits up.

I thought Williams was great today.  Johnson was solid.  Graves quietly had a double-double and couple key offensive rebounds.  I still really like what I see from Hardnett.

Still, though, I think they looked a little shaken for the entire game.  Even in the first half, when they opened up a big lead, they never really looked totally confident.  Another sub-50% FT shooting game, another sub-20% 3-point shooting game, 18 turnovers.  But that W cures a lot of ailments after a little skid.  Hopefully they get a week off, get some shots up, and come back with a renewed confidence and fire next weekend for a nice win.

I’m going to enjoy the win. I’m not going to be very critical. One win doesn’t mask our problems but I hope this win goes a long way for the mental fragility this team shows. They could’ve folded and this could’ve been BG all over again. But they composed themselves enough to win ugly. I hope over this next week they really hone in on 3 main problem areas...turnovers, free throws and set offense (that takes into account zone offense and outside shooting). Schedule is doing us no favors. 3 of the next 4 on the road. And games against the top teams in the conference still remain. Time for this team to begin to turn a corner and start rounding into shape. Or else we will be one of those teams that you look back and say if. If they shot free throws just a little better. If they turned the ball over a little less. If. Let’s not be that. Go Bulls!

17 hours ago, UB85 said:
22 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

There is a Watch Party tonight in New York City at All Stars Sports Bar and Grill at 327 West 57th Street.  This was where the Anchor Bar used to be.

At prior watch parties pictures of the people there were shown on the screen in Alumni Arena.  Will it happen again, do not know.  But would you want to miss the chance to have your picture on the scoreboard in Alumni?

Be there, Aloha!

Try Mahalo next time.

Clearly someone who did not see the original Hawaii 5-0.

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

Just watched the first 3 minutes (originally missed due to the earlier game) and had to bump this comment. 

If he can work on his right hand this offseason I think he will dominate the next 2 years. I almost want Whitesell to start going to him on the last possession if we need a bucket. It’s not like the other guys have been stepping up in that scenario.

2 minutes ago, SGBull said:

If he can work on his right hand this offseason I think he will dominate the next 2 years. I almost want Whitesell to start going to him on the last possession if we need a bucket. It’s not like the other guys have been stepping up in that scenario.

I forget which game it was a few weeks ago, but that's exactly what they did, and he delivered.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic

I didn't hop on to discuss this game since I am taking a less-invested approach and I wanted to wait a bit to think some more.

I didn't watch the game from the start as I was doing other things, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the Bulls up 35 - 19 at half.  Actually...I turned it on for UB's last possession in the first half, which was a wasted Williams jumper from the corner with almost no time left.  Not the best use of the clock, but the team was up 16 at the half and held a team to less than 20 points in a half.  I was happy!

Then I watched the second half in its entirety.

It reminded a lot of some games from 10+ years ago where guys were hustling, but were just making poor decisions all over the court.  It was all panicked effort without much plan other than the moment.  We did not look like a team that has made it to the tourney in 4 of the last 5 years...it was a blast from the past (and not in a good way).

If anyone who isn't that old wonders how UB gave up a 19 point lead so quickly to Ohio during the MACC in 2005, it kind of was like those first 10 minutes or so of the second half vs. CMU.

At any rate, I saw a lot of guys that couldn't believe the lead was evaporating so quickly.  In fact, at about 10 minutes to go (once the lead got to single digits), the team seemed like they were trying to "survive".  No one knew what to do.  No one took charge of the situation in an effective way (including those on and off the court).

I was actually happy CMU pulled ahead with about 6 or so to go.  There was a bit of shock once UB was down, but CMU missed shots as well at that time (I guess the inevitable let-up).  The extra time allowed UB to gather themselves and pull ahead (especially the Johnson 3)...and they got the victory.

Some general thoughts:

• I know it probably isn't the ideal time to do this, but Segu HAS TO START.  I am sorry, but Jordan can come off the bench and give the team spark with his defense and his drives.  But Segu needs to run the point and it needs to be NOW.
  • At this point, we know the team isn't a strong 3-point shooting squad.  I felt bad for Jordan when he missed that wide open 3 in the second half.  He couldn't even believe it...but he missed five others as well that game and didn't get one to fall.  It was another poor night (4 - 23) behind the arc.  I am not really sure what to suggest.  You could drive more and pick up fouls, but the team is a poor FT shooting squad also.  
  • Graves really has to get his head in the game at some points.  I love when he drives and he is a very talented performer on that end.  But he is so much more turnover prone this year than last year.  So is Jordan and so is Williams.  It has really been a big problem for this team (the sloppy play of these three guys).  Segu, on the other hand, has improved his turnover rates (per possession and per time).
  • This is going to be a dogfight every game.  Clearly we aren't really good enough (even with a big halftime lead at home) to cruise to a comfortable win.  And when I say "good enough", I am not talking only about talent, but all of the other aspects that impact the outcome (e.g. hustle, leadership, coaching, experience, playcalling, luck, etc., etc.)  

#FreeSegu

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I didn't hop on to discuss this game since I am taking a less-invested approach and I wanted to wait a bit to think some more.

I didn't watch the game from the start as I was doing other things, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the Bulls up 35 - 19 at half.  Actually...I turned it on for UB's last possession in the first half, which was a wasted Williams jumper from the corner with almost no time left.  Not the best use of the clock, but the team was up 16 at the half and held a team to less than 20 points in a half.  I was happy!

Then I watched the second half in its entirety.

It reminded a lot of some games from 10+ years ago where guys were hustling, but were just making poor decisions all over the court.  It was all panicked effort without much plan other than the moment.  We did not look like a team that has made it to the tourney in 4 of the last 5 years...it was a blast from the past (and not in a good way).

If anyone who isn't that old wonders how UB gave up a 19 point lead so quickly to Ohio during the MACC in 2005, it kind of was like those first 10 minutes or so of the second half vs. CMU.

At any rate, I saw a lot of guys that couldn't believe the lead was evaporating so quickly.  In fact, at about 10 minutes to go (once the lead got to single digits), the team seemed like they were trying to "survive".  No one knew what to do.  No one took charge of the situation in an effective way (including those on and off the court).

I was actually happy CMU pulled ahead with about 6 or so to go.  There was a bit of shock once UB was down, but CMU missed shots as well at that time (I guess the inevitable let-up).  The extra time allowed UB to gather themselves and pull ahead (especially the Johnson 3)...and they got the victory.

Some general thoughts:

• I know it probably isn't the ideal time to do this, but Segu HAS TO START.  I am sorry, but Jordan can come off the bench and give the team spark with his defense and his drives.  But Segu needs to run the point and it needs to be NOW.
  • At this point, we know the team isn't a strong 3-point shooting squad.  I felt bad for Jordan when he missed that wide open 3 in the second half.  He couldn't even believe it...but he missed five others as well that game and didn't get one to fall.  It was another poor night (4 - 23) behind the arc.  I am not really sure what to suggest.  You could drive more and pick up fouls, but the team is a poor FT shooting squad also.  
  • Graves really has to get his head in the game at some points.  I love when he drives and he is a very talented performer on that end.  But he is so much more turnover prone this year than last year.  So is Jordan and so is Williams.  It has really been a big problem for this team (the sloppy play of these three guys).  Segu, on the other hand, has improved his turnover rates (per possession and per time).
  • This is going to be a dogfight every game.  Clearly we aren't really good enough (even with a big halftime lead at home) to cruise to a comfortable win.  And when I say "good enough", I am not talking only about talent, but all of the other aspects that impact the outcome (e.g. hustle, leadership, coaching, experience, playcalling, luck, etc., etc.)  

#FreeSegu

I agree with pretty much all of your analysis.

So the team was playing great until you tuned in? Kinda makes a fella wonder.... don't it?

• Like 1