Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB @ SIU (11/12 - 8 ET)

Jeseph

I guess I'll be the first to ask. What is the hype with Southern Illinois? 

I see that they are returning a lot of players from last year. But, how do they fair and match-up against UB? Looking at their record and team stats last year. Nothing really is standing out, other than maybe they were a good defensive team. 

Either way, if they are as good as people are making them out to be, I'll be expecting a tough game. 

2 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I guess I'll be the first to ask. What is the hype with Southern Illinois?

Solid team that seems to be building, 5 returning starters. Played tough with Kentucky. They're receiving a single vote in this week's poll which speaks to their national respect.

I still believe that we're the better team but this is nowhere near an easy game.

This game makes me nervous! We just had a very tough game against West Virginia (where we didn't play our best). Scheduling wise - This is very similar to the NCAA tournament (big game, not a lot of rest, another good team) I think it was a good decision to book it like this to give the team the experience. 

That being said. SIU is a good team but I believe we all know that we are better. I think CJ will will have another big game. Hoping that Harris drives to the lane more and takes short range jumpers rather than threes. Need our defense to play well and not fall into the trap of playing at their level. I think the Perkins - Pippen match up will be fun to watch. 

Play our game and not theirs. We come back to Buffalo 3-0

Very tough matchup honestly especially after the wvu win and the players getting texts about being top 25 from friends and family.

Need to keep our heads in the game tonight

Siu also sees that UB is coming in ranked and them and their fans would love nothing more than to knock off a top 25

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Very tough matchup honestly especially after the wvu win and the players getting texts about being top 25 from friends and family.

Siu also sees that UB is coming in ranked and them and their fans would love nothing more than to knock off a top 25

This is a good point.   They will be ready for us.

The line has dropped from -4.5 to -3.  That is not a good sign if nobody is injured.

Hope I'm wrong and UB can hang around in the top 25 the rest of the season.

It should be another good test for us and hopefully Nate has the players attention on playing the full 40 minutes. Hope for better games from Caruthers and Harris and Perkins to stay out of foul trouble. Very promising to see that the foul shooting is better than last year at this time. Rebounding and defense  and keeping the turnovers down could be the key to a win. Go Bulls!!

Really good defensive performance by the Bulls. Especially against a team that put up a good fight against Kentucky, I thought we shut them down today. 

UB didn't shoot the ball well here again, sloppy turnovers and forcing shots and missing easy buckets inside. I'm not particularly worried about the shooting because UB didn't shoot the ball all that well until conference play. 

But, we are 3-0, we are ranked, let's enjoy this.  

9 minutes ago, rma said:

Hoping that some of the lower ranked teams lose a couple games so that we can move up.  I don't think that performance is enough to get us to move up without some losses.

Disagree. What voters will take away is that Kentucky struggled mightily AND at Rupp Arena. The Bulls will get full marks for going on the road and getting a big win under the circumstances. There a lot of writers who didn’t even include UB in their top 25. That will change and I fully expect the voters who had them ranked from #7 to #25 will move them up the board. Take all that into context and something around #20 sounds right. 

A couple general comments since I was on the road this weekend and didn't have a chance to comment after the West Virginia game.

There's a whole other thread for this - but that's three games in a row where the shooting was bad.  And they still won them all.  First half at WVU, it was something like 26%.  Yesterday, 30-something percent.  At some point that will catch up to you - however, what are they going to look like when the shots start dropping?  Like CJ in the second half on Friday.  Look out below.

I've found that any time they've played a top tier team (except Arizona), the game felt ragged.  They weren't doing things as smoothly as we're used to, and I suppose that's natural.  Faster, bigger opponents, that means passes that usually get there don't, shots that usually go up get blocked.  But they persevered and got some stops and prevailed.  And one of the shooters started hitting shots.  "Press Virginia", what a joke, the Bulls blew the press up by running up tempo past it.  After a while they just stopped bothering to do it anymore.

I found myself really angry on Friday at halftime.  No sense of "hey, we're hanging with a ranked team, that's alright".  Without thinking about it I expected them to not only run with a team like that but beat them.  Confident in the Bulls' ability and expected them to play with anyone.  At the end it wasn't "wow we upset them", more like "the Bulls were the better team, this doesn't surprise me."  (I know this comment kinda contradicts the last one, but they can win in these games, it just doesn't look the same as when they run past one of the regular opponents).

I was totally prepared last night to just enjoy the #25 ranking for a few hours until they dropped a game on the road to what's usually a tough team...so props to the guys for not letting that be too big of a deal and answered the next challenge.  It's way too early to get too high or low about anything. 

I was also really impressed that UB came out and won a tough road game on the same day they were ranked #25.   The box score shows nine players scored with the high scorer being only 11 points.  To me that's a great sign and is sustainable.  They showed they can win if it takes a 40+ point superhuman effort by one guy, .... but they are more likely to stay in the top 25 if everyone is contributing nightly.  

A great team win with many players contributing. What I see is players not hanging their heads if not making shots or having a tough game. The coaching staff has instilled in the players the confidence to play hard for 40 minutes and play together. In large part that comes with having success and knowing you can win and compete if you never give up. Just a great accomplishment for the program to be in the top 25 and positive vibes for the entire university. Let’s get out to all the games and show our support for all aour teams. Go Bulls!!!!

On 11/12/2018 at 3:46 PM, xDerekRx said:

Speaking of their fans, very impressive turnout. That's a well supported program.

SIU basketball reigns king in Carbondale from what I heard.  Bigger attendance then football, which can only be true if done season attendance and not game avg att. To be honest, I have no clue what the closest actual city to Carbondale even is?  Can’t amagine alumni are all staying in town.  Either people drive hours or they own the local entertainment dollars.

If UB ever moved the students back to center court, student attendance would immediately double. Are we making enough xtra money from shoving the college b-ball atmosphere behind the baskets to give up what was the best home court advantage in the MAC back then? I remember getting to Alumni 2+ hours early just to get a spot in line. Students will stand for 2+ hours just to stand for 2 more if you give them those sections back. Hell move the seats along the wall outside the arena so they can sit before the game and not have the option during. And better atmosphere I believe will increase ticket prices for the general public who really just wants a show, which the students are very much a part of.  Duke does it, how much do you think they could charge for the sections they currently put their students in. Mid 2000s UB got a slimmer of a taste of success and tried to cash in instantly which I believe was a detriment to the program.

3 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

SIU basketball reigns king in Carbondale from what I heard.  Bigger attendance then football, which can only be true if done season attendance and not game avg att. To be honest, I have no clue what the closest actual city to Carbondale even is?  Can’t amagine alumni are all staying in town.  Either people drive hours or they own the local entertainment dollars.

If UB ever moved the students back to center court, student attendance would immediately double. Are we making enough xtra money from shoving the college b-ball atmosphere behind the baskets to give up what was the best home court advantage in the MAC back then? I remember getting to Alumni 2+ hours early just to get a spot in line. Students will stand for 2+ hours just to stand for 2 more if you give them those sections back. Hell move the seats along the wall outside the arena so they can sit before the game and not have the option during. And better atmosphere I believe will increase ticket prices for the general public who really just wants a show, which the students are very much a part of.  Duke does it, how much do you think they could charge for the sections they currently put their students in. Mid 2000s UB got a slimmer of a taste of success and tried to cash in instantly which I believe was a detriment to the program.

I completely agree. Back in the bleacher days we would all pack in and stand for the entire game at center court. By moving the student section back to center court the place would be louder and more intimidating to the opponent also. And since every game is now televised who wants to see ppl sitting on the butts? I wanna see the students jumping yelling and getting loud. The locals can fill up the seats that aren’t seen on tv.

If the seats behind the benches aren't 95%+ full this season they should turn it back over to students.  If this team doesn't get people out to AA I don't know what will.  Past few seasons students have shown up and should be rewarded for doing so.

11 hours ago, rma said:

If the seats behind the benches aren't 95%+ full this season they should turn it back over to students.  If this team doesn't get people out to AA I don't know what will.  Past few seasons students have shown up and should be rewarded for doing so.

If they keep winning, more and more people will show up. 

You have to keep in mind, there is no college sports culture here, at all. This is Bills and Sabres country. UB has to keep winning and winning for people to show up and to build culture. 

UB didn't start being remotely competitive at basketball until, what, 15 years ago? That's nothing. This is such a young program. It's just going to take time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

If they keep winning, more and more people will show up. 

You have to keep in mind, there is no college sports culture here, at all. This is Bills and Sabres country. UB has to keep winning and winning for people to show up and to build culture. 

UB didn't start being remotely competitive at basketball until, what, 15 years ago? That's nothing. This is such a young program. It's just going to take time. 

I agree. If we stay competitive consistently for the next 15-20 years I think we will really start to see the benefits. When parents take their young children to games and they see constant winning out of the Bulls, they will develop a stronger tie to them and grow up rooting for UB and raise their future kids that way. 

Agree with a lot that was said. There’s no way we move down in rank that’s for sure. I think that away win may bump us to 23 or 22 depending on what happens above us. Def don’t think 20 but I’m more than ok with slowly grinding upwards. There are only 24 spots ahead of us lol 1-2 spot changes are huge. Then when we play the cuse and Marquette it’s just opportunities for big jumps and not much to lose. That stretch of games will be brutal though

Im all for moving the students back. The only nice thing is for the opponent to shoot free throws looking at the student section currently. I guess you could do overflow there though. 

I think we should start seeing some great crowds at alumni. Bills season is even getting closer to being over. This team keeps winning there will be more people. I do agree with the continued success though I just think you can get a pretty solid base in about 10 years of continued success. Sure 15-20 is even better but we are now 4 years deep (yea didn’t make the tourney in 1) and the 5th is starting off even better so far. Who knows what this season holds but if we keep up success of making it to the tourney 8 out of 10 years there’s gotta be a real solid following. 3 down, a start that could lead to an at large fingers crossed, and then 4 more in the following 5 years. Cmon bulls