Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Dylan Frye

squire17

7 hours ago, Fred said:

No one has any idea what is going on in Frye's life.  You don't have enough information to call him a prima donna.  And anyone who heckles him is a complete jerk, in my opinion.  If his short leave of absence has anything to do with a mental health or emotional issue, then that's really a great response to try to demean him.  I'm really blown away by the cruelty, immaturity, and lack of class shown by a few people on this board.  Sorry if your dreams of your team winning the conference tournament just took a blow, but this is a human being we're talking about.  I'm happy for you if you had everything figured out at age 22.  Not everyone does.

Trust me when I say I would be the most sympathetic and compassionate person to him and his situation 

if his jersey was blue and white and said Buffalo on the front 

I'm not a BG fan, but I remember a few years back when a Ball State player killed himself during the season.  Not saying this was an issue for Frye, as I have no idea.  Just saying that a guy taking time off for his mental health (if that's what happened) is fine with me.  This kid should not be stigmatized or made fun of.  That's warped, in my opinion.  I raised a son with a mood disorder, and I can tell you that it's pretty serious business.  If you think being depressed is just someone being a baby, you are dangerously wrong.  Sorry for crashing your board with my sermons.  I sometimes come on other MAC boards to see what's up, and I was really upset by some of the comments that I saw here.  I don't know if a sports message board is a place where it's possible to get people thinking about their attitudes, but I had to try.  Peace, and I will leave you Bulls to yourselves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fred said:

I'm not a BG fan, but I remember a few years back when a Ball State player killed himself during the season.  Not saying this was an issue for Frye, as I have no idea.  Just saying that a guy taking time off for his mental health (if that's what happened) is fine with me.  This kid should not be stigmatized or made fun of.  That's warped, in my opinion.  I raised a son with a mood disorder, and I can tell you that it's pretty serious business.  If you think being depressed is just someone being a baby, you are dangerously wrong.  Sorry for crashing your board with my sermons.  I sometimes come on other MAC boards to see what's up, and I was really upset by some of the comments that I saw here.  I don't know if a sports message board is a place where it's possible to get people thinking about their attitudes, but I had to try.  Peace, and I will leave you Bulls to yourselves.

Fred you raise a fair point. However, his conduct in the court has always been less than stellar. When someone conducts themself in the way Frye has, it is because they simply are a flamer or they have some deep seated insecurities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, I agree with this Fred guy.  

Mental illness is no joke.  None of us know what Frye has gone through or what the backstory is here.  At the end of the day, these players are people too.

I hope UB routs BG on the court, of course, but I also hope that Frye gets (or has received) whatever help he needs.  No need to bring personal stuff into the game.....let our guys' play on the court do the talking.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, UBlearns said:

Honestly, I agree with this Fred guy.  

Mental illness is no joke.  None of us know what Frye has gone through or what the backstory is here.  At the end of the day, these players are people too.

I hope UB routs BG on the court, of course, but I also hope that Frye gets (or has received) whatever help he needs.  No need to bring personal stuff into the game.....let our guys' play on the court do the talking.

Just my two cents.

Mental illness is no joke. However having read the BG board on Frye it seems far more likely that he was pissed with the coach’s pattern of substitutions and how it affected him. Having watched him closely over the last four years this seems very likely as he always seemed like a pampered prima Donna on the court. Now if it is mental illness than of course the kid gets a pass.  

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Let this serve as the model for guys like Jeenathan, Segu, whoever. This is what you do...you play your tail off for 3-4 years at UB then transfer to a major top team. Not leave after a year or two and get nowhere.

I wonder if he’s a starter on any of those teams or maybe just a solid 6th man. Haven’t studied his game too close to know how good he really is or anything so forgive me if that’s a dumb question 

3 hours ago, Ivantheturrible said:

I wonder if he’s a starter on any of those teams or maybe just a solid 6th man. Haven’t studied his game too close to know how good he really is or anything so forgive me if that’s a dumb question 

He can definitely start for a lot of those teams. And if they are really interested that tells me that these teams don’t just plan to bury him on the bench. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He can definitely start for a lot of those teams. And if they are really interested that tells me that these teams don’t just plan to bury him on the bench. 

Well good for him then. Seems like a hell of a player and he deserves a chance to at least play in the tournament once. I want to root for him, just not in the MAC lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

The BG forums called this early in the year and as @Kevin mentioned in another thread they essentially treated Turner as a senior on Senior Night in the Stroh Center

This is to me the ideal situation for any mid major kid. You gotta strike when the iron is hot. He had a great season. Grad transfers don’t have to sit out a year. This works well all parties involved.

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is to me the ideal situation for any mid major kid. You gotta strike when the iron is hot. He had a great season. Grad transfers don’t have to sit out a year. This works well all parties involved.

This only applies to kids who redshirt though right? 

27 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

This only applies to kids who redshirt though right? 

I believe if a kid graduates in 3 years he can do it as well. Its considered a grad transfer and you only have 1 year left to play 

The key is graduating as this fulfills the obligation of the student when they received the scholarship

19 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I believe if a kid graduates in 3 years he can do it as well. Its considered a grad transfer and you only have 1 year left to play 

The key is graduating as this fulfills the obligation of the student when they received the scholarship

True i didn't think of kids who just graduate in 3 years. That must be hard for d1 athletes with the time commitment to the sport id imagine. 

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agreed.

So my worry is/was that Graves will do the same after returning from the NBA draft process. 

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

My worry with Graves is that while in the draft process some scouts tell him he should look to higher competition and enters the transfer portal this year

That would be not smart on his behalf. Bc then he’d have to sit out a year. And sitting out at his age is detrimental to his growth and nba proscpects.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

That would be not smart on his behalf. Bc then he’d have to sit out a year. And sitting out at his age is detrimental to his growth and nba proscpects.

We aren't sure if he would be a grad transfer like Turner or not though