Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

WBB vs. Toledo

ubfan75

Women were outclassed today by Toledo. UB‘s poor shooting and inability to defend the 3 sealed their fate. Worse though is almost total lack of team chemistry. It seemed as if every possession began with a plan but then devolved into panicky playground ball. Granted, this might be due to youth and inexperience, but they are 21 games into the season and that excuse is wearing thin. A weak bench (only 8 points today, I think) doesn’t help, the unwillingness of Hannah to shoot 3’s continues to baffle (she has an outstanding stroke), Gaba’s slow hands (she can’t manage to gather rebounds that come right to her) are tough to watch. Fingers crossed that it’ll all come together before tournament time. Finally, it didn’t affect the outcome, but having game killers like Felicia Young and Frank Steratore officiating was not ideal. 

BTW, I counted 47 bodies aside from the band in the student section. Too bad.

Edited by ubfan75
Typo

23 minutes ago, ubfan75 said:

BTW, I counted 47 bodies aside from the band in the student section. Too bad.

It's pretty sad. The public at-large has bought in to Coach Jack and the women's bball team and has given pretty solid support over the past few seasons. It's too bad that more students don't show up. Maybe a t-shirt giveaway for the women's game would be helpful, whereas 2 men's games in a row got a 750 shirt giveaway. 

This team is young and has it's limitations. They definitely didn't look to be at their best today and Toledo shot the lights out, including a 2nd home game in a row with 1/2 court shot made for the opponent. I like this team a lot moving forward. 

13 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Maybe a t-shirt giveaway for the women's game would be helpful, whereas 2 men's games in a row got a 750 shirt giveaway. 

They had Cheeburger Cheeseburger gift cards for the first 50 students for yesterday's game.

33 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

so 15x less than the number of giveaways for the men's game? Sounds equitable.

When the average non-spirit team student attendance for WBB is somewhere around 20, I think it's great.

Add in that the Dazzlers have close to doubled in size and the band is considerably larger than it was in past years, more students than ever are watching this team.  It isn't as much as it should be, but progress is progress.

39 minutes ago, rma said:

When the average non-spirit team student attendance for WBB is somewhere around 20, I think it's great.

Add in that the Dazzlers have close to doubled in size and the band is considerably larger than it was in past years, more students than ever are watching this team.  It isn't as much as it should be, but progress is progress.

Coach Jack and the team deserves better from the student body, especially after the last few years of tremendous results. While I know that women's bball doesn't equal men's (essentially everywhere), this team has been an exciting one to watch and anyone who doesn't go because "it's not as good as the guys" is sadly mistaken. I know that the numbers are up. I remember being at games of far <100 many times in year's past, but thankfully the community has really grown close to Coach and the players and has given them very solid support, and deservedly so based on their record in recent seasons.

On 2/8/2020 at 7:37 PM, skrabukes said:

It's pretty sad. The public at-large has bought in to Coach Jack and the women's bball team and has given pretty solid support over the past few seasons. It's too bad that more students don't show up. Maybe a t-shirt giveaway for the women's game would be helpful, whereas 2 men's games in a row got a 750 shirt giveaway. 

This team is young and has it's limitations. They definitely didn't look to be at their best today and Toledo shot the lights out, including a 2nd home game in a row with 1/2 court shot made for the opponent. I like this team a lot moving forward. 

There is still time to get it together this season and make a run...they took CMU to the limit just a few weeks back and competed with Ohio without Fair playing.

Assuming Summer is healthy and plays next year, and that all of the impact returnees do indeed return, the team should once again be at the very top of the MAC and fighting for an at-large. Also, there is more young talent on the way for next season. I would expect at least two of next year's incoming freshman to have solid impacts.

I didn't watch the game but in the game against Western Michigan on Wednesday, Fair shot 3 of 14 FG and 1 of 7 from 3PT with 5 TO.  Hall was no better at 1-8.

At least Onwuka and Adeyeye shot a combined nearly 60% (probably in the paint).

This team will not go far if they don't improve their shooting. They also need to improve their D on 3-point shots (especially when playing zone).