Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Toledo (2/14 - 7pm)

Jeseph

• Jeseph pinned this topic
2 hours ago, NYS Bulls said:

UB is ~280th in three point percentage (~50th in attempts)

They are also 280th in turnovers at 14.5 

Any game, any point, either of those statistics can haunt them

Absolutely dreadful! The good news those stats are so bad that they can't do any worse, let's hope. And should they improve significantly they should win a lot more games.

10 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Absolutely dreadful! The good news those stats are so bad that they can't do any worse, let's hope. And should they improve significantly they should win a lot more games.

Umm...this is where UB ranked in the last three years of the RW era in turnovers.

2012-13  331st
2011-12  248th
2010-11  327th

The first year, with Hurley, they were 75th in the nation.  The next, 87th.  It was clearly a point of emphasis for Hurley.

When Nate got the job and pushed the tempo even more, the team had a lot of turnovers as well...but when you have so many possessions as they did, you tend to amass turnovers.

However, each year under Nate they improved in their turnover ranking (his final year they were 194th).  I never really looked at Nate's UB teams and thought there were a lot of bad turnovers, especially in the last two years.  Many turnovers would be on those fast breaks trying to run out and it not working.  Those happen.

I see more of the turnovers this year based on bad decisions with the ball.  That is the part, for me, that is always concerning.

Every game is a must win. But at this point I can’t confidently say we should win or will win. We can beat Toledo and Toledo can beat us. Plus it’s a road game. Enter all the broken record things of what we have to do to win. Same song and dance. Looking at the remaining schedule 9-9 looks like a reality. 10-8 would be ok. Sub .500 is still on the table. Unless we grow and win more consistently, right around that mark is looking like the case.

20 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Every game is a must win. But at this point I can’t confidently say we should win or will win. We can beat Toledo and Toledo can beat us. Plus it’s a road game. Enter all the broken record things of what we have to do to win. Same song and dance. Looking at the remaining schedule 9-9 looks like a reality. 10-8 would be ok. Sub .500 is still on the table. Unless we grow and win more consistently, right around that mark is looking like the case.

9-9 seems right, I see 3-4 down the stretch

I think the Bulls best case scenario is 5-2 in remaining league games. An 11-7 record might sneak in a fourth place finish, but right now Kent, and Ball St have the tie breaker in that they each beat the Bulls already. BG would have to go 2-5 to end up at 11-7 and currently has the tie breaker with the Bulls. N Illinois would have to finish 3-4 to end up at 11-7 and they too have the tie breaker.

Fortunately, the Bulls still have games against BG, Ball St, and Kent. Bulls also play Akron here. I think the worst case scenario is for the Bulls to finish 2-5 in remaining league games. That puts them at 8-10, but still probably hosting a game that they would need to win to get to Cleveland.

Bottom Line: Barring a miracle, the Bulls will be playing at AA on March 9 for a chance to play in Cleveland.

3 hours ago, NYS Bulls said:

9-9 seems right, I see 3-4 down the stretch

And I can’t disagree. Bc we have seen nothing to show us otherwise. Likely scenario is we host a game just to get to Cleveland. A 4 seed is still in play, but we have to beat teams like Ball st and Kent st just to even out the head to head. More than anything I hope we learn how to close out games and stop shooting ourselves into the foot. We have been our own worst enemy.

13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Big adjustment in this game will be dealing with foul trouble and defending Knapke inside.

With the exception of the last play on Knapke, Hardnett has been a sieve on defense not only on Knapke, but being no where near where he needed to be when Segu got beat off the dribble.

Meanwhile the team defense during the 15-0 stretch was some of the best I’ve seen from UB in a long time. 

Edited by UB85

Just now, skrabukes said:

Now that's Buffalo Basketball. 

Toledo has 15 free throws to UB's 1.

UB has 14 fouls to UB's 5.

But who's up by 24 at half? Buffalo. F-U refs and your BS.

Picked a great time to shoot the lights out - we'll need that big lead with all the damn fouls. More than half the team is in foul trouble but at least Mballa isn't one of them. And this is the Jayvon Graves we need the rest of the season if we're gonna make a real run at this thing.