News: Welcome to the new board.  October 25, 2014, 11:36:21 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. *

Saturday Morning Thoughts: Do you remember the feeling you had.....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Saturday Morning Thoughts: Do you remember the feeling you had.....
BRJACR75
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile Email
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:04:04 AM »

the first half of the International Bowl?  This definitely isnt it.  Thats what I was thinking sitting in the stands tonight watching that.  I swear, as this season grinds to an end, and the worse it keeps getting, these write ups are easier and easier to write.  I mean what can you possibly say after this game.  The defense played to pretty much their normal standard, the special teams actually had a pretty good night, and the offense...........the offense.............. sigh, yea.

Ball State, who is struggling just as much as UB has been since 2008, strolls into town @ 3-7.  They arent lighting the world on fire by any means this year either.  At the very least, you'd expect UB to have a pretty good shot against them, right?  And to be perfectly honest, Ball State wasnt really lighting the world on fire in tonights game either.  It was just that UB was just that bad.  Turnovers, penalties, lack of execution on offense, wow!  The term "dumpster fire" should fit in here somewhere.  In fact I wish there was a way of expressing in words the action of scratching your head, simply because saying "scratching your head" doesnt do tonight justice.

I think I want to start here, not that this would of made a heck of a lot of difference, but the officiating was just plain awful.  I swear these guys were absolutely clueless to what holding is.  The amount of times I saw UB's defensive front getting their jerseys tugged on with no call was infuriating.  I realize their was a serious lack of a UB pass rush tonight, but I think alot of it had to do with the holding that was going on on every single play it seemed.  And then to make matters worse, I think it was in the first half, BallS, LOL sorry, had the ball and had that pass out to the sideline where I could have sworn the guy landed out of bounds (anybody who watched the game can help me out on this one please), but it was surely close enough to review at the very least, yet they let it go as a completed pass.  Then on the very next play, the guy lunges the ball forward after appearing to come up short, yet they mark the ball so that it is enough to give them a first down, and they decide to review that.  I hate MAC officials.

OFFENSE
I honestly believe that if Zordich had stayed healthy this whole game, this game would have gone completely different.  He was not playing that bad at all until he got hurt.  But then he came crawling out, if you could call what he did crawling, because it was more of a head scooting than crawl, and the rest of the game went to hell.  the entire offense, and dare I say team, had the life sucked right out of them.  Davis was just plain awful, awful, awful.  Is he possibly even going to start next week.  I looked absolutely unprepared to go in after Zordich's injury.  What the heck happened to "Next Bull In."  If Zordich isnt ready to go next week (with a broken rib/s I can imagine he will), and we know what your going to get from Davis,  Warden?  Maybe see what he can do? 

Instead of going on with the rest of the offense, it has gotten to the point that bears the question, is it coaching or is it the players.  Should this offense be as horrific as it is regardless of who is at the helm.  Lets not kid ourselves, even with Zordich in their, its still a struggle to get down the field for UB.  It seems they cant even get the simple things right.  Example, How many times were they faced with 2 and 2 yards to go, and they ended up losing yards every time.  My lord!  I want to believe in Coach Quinn's system, I really do, but if it is a matter of not having the right personnel to run it, I have news for you, players dont grow on trees, and how many seasons have to be labeled as "rebuilding" years until it even has a semblance of running smoothly.  When that time comes, there might not be anyone in the stands to watch it, as attendance is steadily dropping every game.

DEFENSE
The defense put in it normal effort they have all year long, considering the circumstances.  I hear the they made a goal line, fourth down stand late in the 4th.  I heard it as I was drowning my memories of the game away with a Guiness in the parking lot.  Well done guys, sorry I missed probably the only ray of sunshine for the game.  If the defense was supposed to be more aggressive this year, why was the corners playing so far off the receivers on quite a few plays.  Wenning is a true freshman right?  Let him try to beat you with his arm.  Oh wait he did.  To make matters worse, why did it have to be on one of the guys thats going to be stepping in next year.  Yippee!  I guess thats par for the course for this game.

SPECIAL TEAMS
AJ had a 49 yard field goal.  Punting was amazing.  They blocked/tipped a punt.  Returns were all right.  And there is a new weapon on coverage teams, and he goes by the name of Dennison.  Anybody want him to play QB?

To sum it up, another painful? loss.  Next week, and the final home game of he 2010 season against Eastern Michigan, or as their called in the Greater Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti area, "the Wolverines doges from the wrong side of the tracks", ok they probably arent called that, but it sounds good.  I wish I could feel better about facing a 1-9 or 2-8 team in EMU next week, but only being an hour and a half removed from getting home from tonights game, for some strange reason, I cant be.   Somebody better call 911, there's a dumpster fire that needs putting out tonight.  The march toward 4-8 begins next week.  I cant believe I just wrote that. 

Finally, as always, thanks to verandaman and Dar for hanging out with us before the game.  Dont know what is on the menu for next week yet, although chili might be sounding good.  And to UB_dropout for hanging out after the game.  Lastly, I wish I had known alot sooner in the game, instead of 10 minutes before leaving, that promotherobot was sitting right in front of us in the stands.  It would have made for even better conversation with you and your buddy from Massachusetts.  It was a pleasure to meet you both.

GO BULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

markchicago
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:15:03 AM »

Strong and meaningful comments. We all try to look for some positive. We want to remain optimistic. We want to give the new schemes and coaching staff time to develop. We want to support our players--good people that are college students. 

As an avid sports fan, my strongest emotional connection is with UB sports.  I got home early from work yesterday to watch the wrestling event  against Oklahoma. Yes, we lost but we were in almost every match. Our team looked well prepared, well coached and performed very well against a true national power. I will catch our basketball game today. While we will be a very young team, I am expecting a well coached team and have guarded hope that we surpass all expectations.

That I all said, I am simply sick watching our football team.  I never player competitive football. So, I am no expert.  Why do we look so unprepared.Why so many predictable plays---what are we doing on 2nd or 3rd with short yardage. What is with these crazy long throws. Given Jerry Davis' s lack of confidence/execution why did we not try more easy passes.  Are our tight ends not a part of our game plan.  How did a problematic Ball State offensive line look so good.  Were we simply not prepared and out coached Our players come from the similar high school programs. Our players are similarly ranked as other MAC players. Why is that they appear so over matched. I welcome some insight from someone more knowledgeable than me 

Where is the promise of exciting offensive football. What has the spread done for us. I agree we have regressed. It is most painful and disheartening to watch no improvement every week.  I have no suggestions about quarterback.  Do we simply kiss off this season or look for another options with one of our other quarterbacks without knowing if any are prepared

I will watch the game against Eastern Michigan.  I hope the coaches and team are just mad and will come out with some fire and win our last home game. If we beat Eastern and then beat Akron, we can at least  look to next year.  We must end on a good note if we wish to recapture the idle fan and give evidence to new recruits that this is a great school with a promise of a great football program

Go BULLS
verandaman
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »

I know I see the world through rose-colored glasses, but never did I expect to be hoping for a 4-8 season; it's hard to say, let alone feel!  And I need to acknowledge that 2-10 is a real possibility.

One of the guys asked after the game last night, "Is it the system?  Is it the players; are they that bad?"  While I know that Coach Quinn did not select most of the guys he has, it is his and his staffs job to get them ready to play to their ability.  It appears quite clear that such was not remotely the case last night.

I'd rather root and cheer than bash, but last night was one of the poorest coaching performances I have ever seen.  Do anything, but do not mail in the last two games.

Okay, enough whining.............here's to the Bulls kicking some EMU butt!  Hope to see eveybody next Saturday for the home finale!  Go Bulls!
drfish
All MAC Performer

from my coaching experience

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »

Alas, college football.  UB is struggling this year.  It is completely understandable considering the changes that occurred in the offseason.  But it must still be hard to watch.  Try to keep the chin up.  I expect that things will improve next year.  Just remember that UB has a new staff, a new QB and new WR's, a new scheme on both sides of the ball. 

There is a team that has a new QB and a few new guys, has had some of the most highly rated recruiting classes in the country for the last 5 years and has the entire coaching staff back from last year when they played in the BCS championship game.  They have the longest streak of 10 win seasons in the country prior to this year.  They have to win 2 of their next 3 just to become bowl eligible. 

Just remember that.

cogito ergo sum
UB_dropout
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »

Alas, college football.  UB is struggling this year.  It is completely understandable considering the changes that occurred in the offseason.  But it must still be hard to watch.  Try to keep the chin up.  I expect that things will improve next year.  Just remember that UB has a new staff, a new QB and new WR's, a new scheme on both sides of the ball. 

Its not that they are struggling.  I can live with a rebuilding year (or two).  The problem is that they don't seem to care any more.  There is no passion, no energy.  I can sit through a well played game that we came out on the wrong side of.  These last few games weren't even enjoyable to watch.

Things may improve next year, but we only have this defense this year.  Our Defense has some key losses after this season.  I can't even imagine what these games would have been like without the amazing play from the defense.

The State of New York will either continue to be an outlier as it relates to college athletics...  or we will conform to the way the rest of the country is behaving... We need to get to the point where nationally, everyone knows that (UB) is the premier public university within the state of New York
BullsFanInChiTown
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »

Strong and meaningful comments. We all try to look for some positive. We want to remain optimistic. We want to give the new schemes and coaching staff time to develop. We want to support our players--good people that are college students. 

As an avid sports fan, my strongest emotional connection is with UB sports.  I got home early from work yesterday to watch the wrestling event  against Oklahoma. Yes, we lost but we were in almost every match. Our team looked well prepared, well coached and performed very well against a true national power. I will catch our basketball game today. While we will be a very young team, I am expecting a well coached team and have guarded hope that we surpass all expectations.

That I all said, I am simply sick watching our football team.  I never player competitive football. So, I am no expert.  Why do we look so unprepared.Why so many predictable plays---what are we doing on 2nd or 3rd with short yardage. What is with these crazy long throws. Given Jerry Davis' s lack of confidence/execution why did we not try more easy passes.  Are our tight ends not a part of our game plan.  How did a problematic Ball State offensive line look so good.  Were we simply not prepared and out coached Our players come from the similar high school programs. Our players are similarly ranked as other MAC players. Why is that they appear so over matched. I welcome some insight from someone more knowledgeable than me 

Where is the promise of exciting offensive football. What has the spread done for us. I agree we have regressed. It is most painful and disheartening to watch no improvement every week.  I have no suggestions about quarterback.  Do we simply kiss off this season or look for another options with one of our other quarterbacks without knowing if any are prepared

I will watch the game against Eastern Michigan.  I hope the coaches and team are just mad and will come out with some fire and win our last home game. If we beat Eastern and then beat Akron, we can at least  look to next year.  We must end on a good note if we wish to recapture the idle fan and give evidence to new recruits that this is a great school with a promise of a great football program

Go BULLS

good post... agreed with it all

verandaman
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:44:46 PM »

You're right dr about the Pronghorns..............but if you meander onto Orangebloods, it's just ugly the way they want Greg Davis' hide; and even Muschump has lost the bloom from his rose.  And the savior in post McCoy era is being question about his worthiness to start in the Big XII.......

I think Mark said it right............it has been just painful to watch UB the last while......sur ehope Quinn and crew finad a way to get a little life back into the team.
zigo230
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 08:24:07 PM »

Even against UCF, UConn and BG....the offense at least looked like it could get down the field.  River, Jackson, Neutz and even Young showed some life at WR.  Since then the O has just died.  Zero, 9 and 3 points at home vs. Temple, Miami and Ball St?  C'mon, thats horrible at any level (FCS included).  I don't blame the dwindling home fan base.  Its sad really. I mean i realize Zordich was learning on the job and his upside is so much better than anyone else on the team.  I'm just hoping next season the light really switches ON for him and the game slows down.  Davis looks pretty much done.  I imagine it will be Zordich and whoever else next season at QB (not sure if Licata would be used as a true frosh?).  In any event, you have to say that UB looks like the worst team in the MAC right now and i never thought that would be the case this season.  I figured 5 wins and some really competitive losses.  Didn't Akron score like 38 points on Ball St last week?  I think even EMU scored 30 today in a loss.  It's hard NOT to score in the MAC.  Here's what the other MAC teams put up this weekend... 30, 65, 21, 30, 24, 45, 20, 28, 37....and our 3.  Ugh,  things are looking bleak and the O-line is not gonna get better either.
ubfan.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: