Stan Weir - Nichols/East Aurora
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Stan Weir - Nichols/East Aurora
BrooklynBull
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »

I honestly was not all that impressed.  You go from Nichols, to a prep school in Indiana, to EA.  22 points against a Tonawanda team that is a B school and had one good player.  I could have done that when I was a senior in HS.  I must admit he has some hops and he was able to create his own shot very well but like I said before it was against Tonawanda.  I know it was only one game but I was not impressed.

I am not sure how good Tonawanda is as a team.  However, it designation as a "B" school has nothing to do with the quality or level of their play.  Unless New York State has made a change recently, it has to do with the size of the enrollment.

DCA
All MAC Performer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »

I honestly was not all that impressed.  You go from Nichols, to a prep school in Indiana, to EA.  22 points against a Tonawanda team that is a B school and had one good player.  I could have done that when I was a senior in HS.  I must admit he has some hops and he was able to create his own shot very well but like I said before it was against Tonawanda.  I know it was only one game but I was not impressed.

I am not sure how good Tonawanda is as a team.  However, it designation as a "B" school has nothing to do with the quality or level of their play.  Unless New York State has made a change recently, it has to do with the size of the enrollment.
and we all know there's no correlation between the size of a talent pool and quality of play. Explains why San Marino is always winning the World Cup.

#MACsketball / #MACtion - Twitter / IG / Tumblr / Last.fm - Class of '12, B.A., Magna Cum Laude
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »

Tonawanda has some athletic classes coming through with their baseball team making the state tourny and BB winning ECIC IV last year. This year they've smoked NT (Class AA), WS East and Starpoint (Class A's) so it's not like they can't hang with an good A team like East Aurora. They are more than Lalka, with a few guys like their Jr big who will likely go D-3/NAIA. They will be right there with Olean for the B crown later in the season.

Weir is playing more PG this year to help the team so he's doing a lot more than bearing the burdon of scoring. Yes, he's highly rated, but we should not expect him or any other D-1 prospect in WNY to put up 30 each game and win every game, like you said on your blog posting, Flow. He can't do it all. St Joe's has the best player in MMA in Agbeko, but even a stud big like him can't get them past Canisius High this season.
flow17
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »

So basically what you are saying is that the level of high school talent in WNY has gone down drastically.  The jr big from Tonawanda is awful.  Fat, slow and out of shape.  He wouldn't start at Canisius or Joes.  Nick Kney won the MMA his senior year and scored at least 25ppg, Quentin Hudson went to the Final 4 in NY St and scored at least 20ppg at Sweet Home.  If Wier is an 87 on ESPN then Austin Rivers must have been a 213.

Season ticket holder
Follow me on twitter @fromthe300level
http://fromthe300level.com
BCBull
Position Coach

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »

So basically what you are saying is that the level of high school talent in WNY has gone down drastically.  The jr big from Tonawanda is awful.  Fat, slow and out of shape.  He wouldn't start at Canisius or Joes.  Nick Kney won the MMA his senior year and scored at least 25ppg, Quentin Hudson went to the Final 4 in NY St and scored at least 20ppg at Sweet Home.  If Wier is an 87 on ESPN then Austin Rivers must have been a 213.

And Kowalski from St Joe's was a nonfactor most of his time on varsity, weighs 25 pounds less than me with 5 more inches of height, and walked on to Niagara's team. Bob Bevilacqua was good for CHS and but nothing special and saw significant time with the Griffs. It's not always about the points.

Great are the deeds yet to be written in the Annals of the Armies of the Tribe of Buffalo.
Bullions
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:33 AM »

Considering Zach graduates, you guys are making me worried a little.

Hey, maybe Reggie will get his guys to drive the bucket a little more if we don't have a 3 point shooter.

No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 07:41:59 AM »

So basically what you are saying is that the level of high school talent in WNY has gone down drastically.  The jr big from Tonawanda is awful.  Fat, slow and out of shape.  He wouldn't start at Canisius or Joes.  Nick Kney won the MMA his senior year and scored at least 25ppg, Quentin Hudson went to the Final 4 in NY St and scored at least 20ppg at Sweet Home.  If Wier is an 87 on ESPN then Austin Rivers must have been a 213.

And Kowalski from St Joe's was a nonfactor most of his time on varsity, weighs 25 pounds less than me with 5 more inches of height, and walked on to Niagara's team. Bob Bevilacqua was good for CHS and but nothing special and saw significant time with the Griffs. It's not always about the points.

Right on. If points scored meant a whole lot the Yale Cup would be pumping out D-1 kids. You always see 25-30 point games from kids but it's mostly due to D being optional among the Buffalo publics. It's why Don Juan Tyson didn't go D-1 and why it took a few years in college systems for Pierce to become a complete player.

The overall D-1 talent in WNY is actually up slightly from recent years. Wier and Agbeko are solid mid/high major recruits. Taplin from Will North is going to be the best PG recruit from here since Jonny Flynn. The Falls has Crumpton (Canisius verbal), J.J. Wilkins, Ramir Burton and Taijay Williams who have programs checking them out. Quintin Campbell from Ken West is a developing big who will get interest as the season goes along.

Yet with all that top talent only the Falls' kids will likely see Sectional/MMA titles. There are better overall teams out there. Even with Weir I don't see EA taking the Class A title, not with them eventually having to face some Yale Cup A's in sectionals. This is a very different situation for Weir, playing on the least talented team he will ever be a part of. Imagine coming from Class A Fed. Champ Nichols, to top AAU Albany City Rocks, to ball in Indiana playing with multiple D-1 guys, then AE where it's basically just him working to lift up an average A squad.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:18:17 AM by RecoveringHillbilly » Logged
flow17
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »

I guess we just come from two very different view points when it comes to college basketball recruiting.  I will bow down because I don't feel like starting an argument.

Season ticket holder
Follow me on twitter @fromthe300level
http://fromthe300level.com
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »

It's a sound debate, no worries. I saw him play a few times with Nichols and he was a solid complementary player. Multiple D-1 schools would not have offered if he wasn't a complete player. Today, he's on a team as a PG who happens to be the physically biggest player on the squad (210+ lbs). That's a tough gig. Once he gets here he'll be fine, where he can challenge for the SG spot while Skeete steps in behind Oldham.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:49:39 AM by RecoveringHillbilly » Logged
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »

Weir's heating up, trying to get EA to a better sectional seeding:

Glenn Belton had 19 points and Jonathan Belton added 15 as Amherst survived East Aurora, 64-62, in ECIC III. The game was tied at halftime and went back and fourth the entire second half. EA hit a three-pointer at the buzzer for the final margin. Stan Wier of EA led all scorers with 32 points, including five three-pointers. Amherst improves to 8-1. -Buffalo News Feb 3rd, H.S. roundup

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wier scored 37 points and EA (11-5, 8-3) held the visiting Warriors (7-7, 7-3) to five points in the first quarter on the way to a resounding, 71-44 triumph....Weir scored from inside and outside, including three treys, and had nine rebounds, four steals and three assists.

"(Weir is) such a strong guard. At 205 pounds, he's a difficult matchup for anybody," East Aurora coach Gary Schutrum said. "He can go off the dribble and shoot so well from deep and he can post up. He scores from everywhere."
Buffalo News Feb 8th, H.S. roundup
Billy Foster
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »

... are based almost entirely on player performance in AAU games - NOT performance in High School games.

It's a shame, but the value of AAU is so overwhelming that coaches... and some kids do NOT focus on High School games.
Many players are identified by their AAU team and hometown vs their High School Team.

AAU has taken over.  Unfortunately, High School seasons are nothing more than a formality to many of its participants.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:54:44 AM by Billy Foster » Logged
BCBull
Position Coach

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »

http://centercourt.typepad.com/high-school-hoops-talk/2012/02/stan-wier-amidst-a-major-scoring-outburst.html

Centercourt is probably after Keith McShea the most visible and respected HS basketball fan in WNY

Averaging 33.2 over his last five games has moved his season average up a full three points to 26.1 ppg.  The pace has drawn comparisons to the torrid one Jonny Flynn treated us to in 2007.

Apples and oranges to some degree, but Weir's 26.1 ppg is one of the three best in WNY of the last 5 years.

I believe Weir scored 26 tonight vs Depew.

Edit: An article from TBN on Weir

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/high-schools/scholastic-spotlight/article730619.ece

"I'm still focused on this season, but I can't lie, I'm counting down the days until I can walk on campus," Wier said. "I can't wait to play Division I basketball. After watching them play, I have a feel of what coach [Reggie] Witherspoon and [assistant Jim] Kwitchoff like to do. I can't wait to be there. The offense is perfect for guys like me that can stretch defenses with shooting ability. You've got to earn what you get in practice, but I'm confident I can make an impact next year."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:20:06 AM by BCBull » Logged

Great are the deeds yet to be written in the Annals of the Armies of the Tribe of Buffalo.
BCBull
Position Coach

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 10:51:29 PM »

East Aurora won the Section VI Class A title today, knocking off McKinley, who I believe was ranked #2 in the last large school poll. I don't know how many Stan had yet, but chatter was that a lot of UB folks were on hand.

Edit: 17 for Stan, after 17 against Amherst on Saturday in the A-2 final, 27 in an upset of Riverside in the A-2 Semis, and 29 against Lew-Port in the quarters. That's 22.5ppg in the sectional tournament. Not too shabby.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:06:54 PM by BCBull » Logged

RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »

Awesome outcome!

Story with video: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/high-schools/article750839.ece

Hope our staff noticed the Rhoades kid with the "48" vertical" [lol] (#31 who made the corner 3 in the video) who flushed it, damn! Not great season #'s but 6' 3" maybe another Barnett! :P
BCBull
Position Coach

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2012, 04:38:34 AM »

game-high 26 in a loss against Section V Bishop Kearney

ubfan.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: