News: Welcome to the new board.  July 24, 2014, 08:21:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. *

2011 By Postion: What happened and Whats Next (Defensive Backs Added)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

2011 By Postion: What happened and Whats Next (Defensive Backs Added)
BrandedBull
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »

I did not see Z in 2010 sling the ball around.  I remember that he was tuck and run first.  I have not seen Z at all and I hope that Z comes out this spring and can lead this team!
I have not heard good nor bad of Z running the scout team.  I just wished he would played a couple of the second half's this year.  Again one less win last season really did not mean anything. 

2014 Better have UB working the Bowl!
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »

Close your eyes and think of the O-line 2010 *shiver*. He was tuck-and running all right..for his life. But don't just go off foggy memory, look into game stats and his top periods of play. He had the expected freshmen jitters and moments of success with his natual ablility, too.

Z did not run the scout team, he was competing with the 2nd and 1st teams, but I get what you mean. Nothing was reported on Z past how he competed with Chazz last Fall. I thought his short and intermediate throws were fine in the practices I stopped to see last fall.
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »

On the point about DiCesare and other media regarding the QB's next year, think about what you'd tell Chazz last year vs the QB's this year:

So Chazz, welcome to UB!

You'll play behind a line with 5 guys who have never played at these positions in past years, including 2 Freshmen. We didn't have a single back with a 100-yard game last year so we replaced the OC, bulked up and are trying out packages with a FB and multiple TE's..things we couldn't do last season. The good news is you'll have 3 SR WR's and a promising Soph (though two Sr's have a history of catching a case of The Drops). You'll have some TE's but we'll mostly use them for blocking to get our running going. The K is a
converted P who volunteered because we have no one else ready, but we have to go with him to start the season. Oh, and our Defense is replacing 8 starters so you'll propably end up having to make up some deficits. Now win baby!!

The QB's this season:

So one of you will play behind 4 returning starting linemen, with 2 other young guys with starting expereince fighting for a spot. You'll have a 1000-yard rusher and capable backups, including a potentially lightning-quick playmaker who has sat for 2 years ready for his time. The lionhearted #1 Jr receiver is back along with 2 Jr's with starting experience and no issues with drops. We'll give you 3 Jr TE's who have each made 3-6 starts and 5+ receptions in their careers. We have a K who is capable of hitting from 45 yards in, so there's not a need to force anything when we can play safe for 3 points. We'll have 8 returning starters on Defense, including many guys who were recognized on All-MAC lists, so expect to be in tight games late. Manage the game, don't press, limit mistakes, and give us the best chance to win!!
UB92
Position Coach

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 11:32:33 PM »

The DT comparison doesn't make sense.  The most important position on the field is QB.  When has a DT won an MVP or POTY?

That whole experience chart you put up a few posts back pre-supposes that snaps are the most important metric for everyone.  As you well know, it isn't.  Everyone develops differently and, from looking at Zordich, he seemed to me that the game was fast for him (relative to the other guys).  That is why, in my opinion, Zordich needed all the game snaps he could get (regardless of how many Davis or Maynard received).

I was waiting for a reply like that from someone. I'm talking hypothetically, why should we sit a QB when there are other positions that have serious concerns? When has a staff sat a Sr QB when he is not sucking so bad to cause loses? Rarely if ever. You see it when the starter is performing hopelessly.

Snaps just shows how many plays a player has experienced, a more descriptive metric than just games played or passes thrown, which I've shown as well. I never placed a value on it being 'more important' than anything else.

You could judge the game being "too fast" for him this year? Relative to what other guys? The Tennessee game on tv, sure, it was fast for everone. But the other games he saw this year? He didn't drop back in his 4 snaps at Temple (3 hand-offs and a roll-out run where he was sacked). Too fast for him against the crushing defenses of SBU and Akron??? When he was a combined 3-6 passing, a ton of hand-offs, 8 1st downs and with a TD drive included? He handed off or did a QB sneak in 75% of his snaps this year so I'm not sure just how anyone could sufficiently judge his "playing speed" with that sample size. 

He impressed the staff all year in his improvement from 2010 and made them think about him as starter until late in fall camp. I don't see how Z can make people sick with worry when, 1) Who the heck is going to return punts for us when the most any returning players have is 1?, 2) We have no clue who will be the starting NT, which Smith showed (with the Ohio game especially) is an impact position, 3) we have a gaggle of players who could be the 4th WR but no clue who will, or won't, step up. Unknowns certainly worry me more than a Jr potentially at QB.

When I was talking about Z and the game being fast, I was referencing 2010, not 2011.   He really didn't play enough in 2011.

The State University of New York. 

Blue. White. Damn Right.
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 02:16:32 AM »

When I was talking about Z and the game being fast, I was referencing 2010, not 2011.   He really didn't play enough in 2011.

Gotcha. Most any guy starting at QB just 10 weeks after their first college practice will have a rough time with the speed of FBS. He was 1 of 2 true freshmen to start even 1 game for a MAC squad in 2010. The UGA game, if he wins the job, will be 23 months after that first start, a period that is an eternity in the context of a player's development. 1/3 of the squad has turned-over from 2010 (a good thing, mostly) so just about everything we remember from those 2010 performances will be improved.
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »

Back to WR's next year, we can add Aaron Walters to that possible mix. He was removed from the roster in the same manner Potts was when he had eligibility issues but both are still enrolled this spring.
BrandedBull
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »

Back to WR's next year, we can add Aaron Walters to that possible mix. He was removed from the roster in the same manner Potts was when he had eligibility issues but both are still enrolled this spring.

I like your post but I really think the QB will have to do more than manage the game.  Teams will dare UB to beat them through the air.  He will have to make plays.  Look how well that worked out for the Steelers last night. Tebow made plays.  When he doesn't look at the last three weeks for the Broncos.  Not good. 

2014 Better have UB working the Bowl!
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »

When I say manage I don't suggest minimizing reads, routes, plays, or throws the next QB will be asked to make. More like doing things properly, as in throwing away and not taking a sack if we are in Clarke's range, or checking-down as receivers are covered. I can understand worry of the unknown and assuming the worst, but trust that these QB's have their own strengths.

Licata can actually make more of the throws you'd want your QB to make, than Chazz could. He's advanced in knowing the spread, and manipulating DB's with his eyes and pump-fakes. Zordich doesn't quite have all those deep throws but he's strong in recognizing and distributing between all available receivers, and the option of running. Neutz was on pace to finish Top 8 in the MAC in total rec. yards and was 4th in yards/catch among guys with 25+ catches, so we'll throw it. No MAC defense will be so bold to put 8 in the box when we still play the spread, especially while leaving Neutz 1-on-1. Not with his skills to get any ball.

That's kind of the way I see things: Not just the QB, but asking 'How do our established weapons open up other options for the QB?'. Defenses have to account for Neutz, play-action with BO, BO slipping out into the flat, and the speed of Potts out of the backfield or in the slot. Success with those weapons will further make things easier for using the Jr WR's and TE's.
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2012/1/17/2688762/2011-by-position-what-happened-and-whats-next-offensive-line

In 2010 the offensive line had the benefit of low expectations.

Outgoing Coach Turner Gill left a shallow line, too shallow to absorb any significant injuries.

Between changing the offense, and working the line to slim down, Buffalo lost several players before his season started and a few others during the coarse of the year.

It was so bad at one point that UB could not even fill out a full depth chart for the line and converted defensive lineman was backing up two sports.

So UB fans spent 2010 watching the line get pushed around. As a team they could not run, and the passing game could generously be called inconsistent.

After the season Peter Bittner, one of the best linemen Buffalo has had during its modern era, graduated.

In short there was a lot of reason to think that the line, who were now being told to bulk up, rather than get more athletic, would struggle as much in 2011 as they had the year before.

Instead the unit, despite some spring injuries, helped crank out a record setting year for Sophomore tailback Branden Oliver. The Bulls still struggled to throw the ball but for the first time in the Jeff Quinn Era the offense gave fans something exciting to watch and defenses something to worry about.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:41:41 PM by Bull_In_Exile » Logged

"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

http://www.ubbullrun.com/ - A UB Football and Basketball Blog
"Is there a year
bowz
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »

Permission denied when attempting to go to the link you provided?
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »

Permission denied when attempting to go to the link you provided?

Aww hell I copied the link before I published it.. Thanks

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2012/1/17/2688762/2011-by-position-what-happened-and-whats-next-offensive-line

"I will play fullback in the next game and I’ll have a gun with me. The first Buffalo man who shows yellow, I’ll drop." -- Coach Turk Gordon

"Is there a year
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »

One clarification: Madlock was injured and sat for the entire 2011 season, which made Cleveland Hill's success this year even more impressive. I'm not sure how he will perform stepping into the program after a year away from competition and recovering.
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »

One clarification: Madlock was injured and sat for the entire 2011 season, which made Cleveland Hill's success this year even more impressive. I'm not sure how he will perform stepping into the program after a year away from competition and recovering.

He does have the talent but I had not seen that he missed this entire year.

Than being said I would be suprised if even Riche breaks into the two deep right out of the gates.

"Is there a year
Bull_In_Exile
Head Coach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2012/1/27/2737030/2011-by-position-what-happened-and-whats-next-defensive-backs

Defensive Backs

"Is there a year
BullsFanInChiTown
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 06:37:04 PM »

I really like Najja Johnson. He could be a shutdown corner next season

ubfan.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: