Print  

Kent State Game... we need a PG
xDerekRx
Global Moderator
Head Coach

xderekrx
View Profile
« on: January 08, 2012, 04:40:55 AM »

This almost piles on the last post but holy cow where did everyone go? No posts?

I went to the Kent State game and first the new video board rocks. The stats, presentation and all that jazz work so well.

With the lighting, new sound panels and the jumbo tron, our arena couldnt be any better aside from the fans :)

The attendance was around 2400. Not terrible for no students and a team that is a bit under the radar still. The crowd actually was incredibly alive in the last 5 minutes. Standing ovations and plenty of cheering so there was no lack of energy. Even the small True Blue section that existed worked well enough.

The truth is, and Ive gotten this from a casual fan that I took to a game, Javon is worth the price of admission alone. Hopefully the local news and buzz can be created about him before he leaves. Hes something special.

Tonights game was great on the defensive end and the boards as per usual.

Javon took the game over at the end when he needed to and put it away. Even a game when Filzen was absolutely shutdown we still won. The biggest helper had to be Titus Robinson. Ive dogged him throughout his tenure here since hes not developed as hoped. However he had the most energy tonight off the bench and scored at an efficient rate whenever he had the ball.

We kinda figured coming into the season but the weak point of this otherwise solid team is the PG spot. Watson and Oldham have gone back and forth all year and to me tonight proved neither are playing at a confident enough level.

Oldham seems to have the best upside but it kinda sucks we dont have someone whos ready now with a team this good. If we could only have even if Mulkey or Boyer this season... just so we dont waste Filzen and Watts last hurrah with Mcrea.

But we have to make due.

My biggest problem with Oldham continues to be his hesitation. He feels to be a second late on some plays that are open. When hes doing things in rhythmic manner hes fine. He needs to think less and react more with his skill.

Its a big win to take from Kent State this early.

I was hoping Ohio wouldnt lose to BG today because now it makes the task of beating them on the road that much tougher. This team is good enough with the way they battle on the boards. Filzen should bounce back as well.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:49:22 AM by xDerekRx » Logged
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:18:15 AM »

What we need is a back-up PG, which Watson is not. We unfortunately won't have one until Skeete arrives. The travel after Watson trapped himself near 2 opponents under our basket, then the play where he brought the ball up and did not sense the opponent behind him, showed once again he needs to be off the ball ASAP.

Oldham's fine. He does have moments of hesitation, I agree. But I'd don't get the assumtions of him being a worse player than he truly is by some. I saw in reading the game-thread about him having 'another game with more TO's than points". He's had exactly 1, which was Bona. Porrini, a SR PG, has had 2 games with that distintion. Even Mulkey had it happen twice. People need to forget about his lack of scoring, as we are fine offensively with getting to around 70 points so long as the vets are scoring.

Kent's guards are real experienced and tough, affecting all of our guards, but Filzen and especially Oldham really held their own on D, holding their men down in the man-2-man in the 2nd half.

The Kitties losing is only positive. They've lost 2 they were supposed to win and they were exposed as weak inside last night, good news for us. They don't have a beast like Greene.

Buff News write-up

Campus Watch Analysis
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:51:17 AM by RecoveringHillbilly » Logged
RochBull
Four Year Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:05:45 AM »

that turned into being a pretty intense game... Games that go down to the wire like this always seem to almost give me a heart attack... The new video board looked amazing on TV. UB needs to keep the intensity up, because there's no easy games still for a few weeks...  I agree, they need depth a PG but they also need someone else who can rain 3's besides Filzen. I don't know what the % was, but it seemed like they missed a ton of 3's last night.

All in all though, that was an amazing win and I'm looking forward to what this team has in them the rest of the MAC season.
Billy Foster
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:13:06 AM »

I agree with Recovering Hillbilly...

Oldham is doing a fine job as PG for the Bulls.  In fact, I believe the KSU game should boost his confidence and eliminate his "reluctance" to shoot the ball.
If he scores 8-10 points per game - I can't see how the Bulls could lose!  They could definitely contend for MAC championship.  

According to NCAA Sports' website, Oldham ranks in the Top 10-15 in Assists Per Game:   http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/140

Even better, Oldham is among the nation's best in Assists-to-Turnover-Ratio:   http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/473

I would be happy when Jarod starts "finishing" strong at the basket and stop missing so many lay-ups - and the BULLS improve their FT percentage!
But the fact remains, Oldham's natural abilities allow him get to the basket rather well.

BIG win last night vs Kent State.  

NOTE TO UB ATHLETICS:  Please ELIMINATE the "replay" function during live play.  NOTHING is more frustrating than watching a replay while listening to LIVE-ACTION coverage; Consider hiring a freelance Technical Director familiar with the video system until the UB staff gets up-to speed.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:51:30 AM by Billy Foster » Logged
BasketBull
Position Coach

BU--FF--AL--O--GO

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »

I'm fine with how Oldham plays. People forget that John Boyer was never an offensive threat. In his senior year he was averaging 7.2 ppg off 38% from the field, 38% from three and 78% from the line to go with 4.2 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 1.4 turnovers and 1.2 steals per game. I don't recall people considering Boyer a liability out there, just not an offensive threat.

Oldham's sophomore season is fairly comparable to Boyer's senior year, in my opinion. 4.7 points off 22% from the field, a woeful 16.7% from three and 60% from the line to go with 4.5 rebounds, 6.3 assists, 2.6 turnovers and 1.8 steals per game. Admittedly the shooting percentage is down and the turnovers are higher, but I think the talent is there. Whatever mental block he has on shooting the ball hopefully will resolve itself over time because I don't believe he would have gotten this far if he couldn't nail open layups with regularity.

Fortunately, if you are going to have a guy that just can't score PG is probably the best place to have him. I am admittedly scared to see whether or not a guard who can actually shoot will step up when Filzen leaves, but I'm not expecting Oldham to be that guy.

NOTE TO UB ATHLETICS:  Please ELIMINATE the "replay" function during live play.  NOTHING is more frustrating than watching a replay while listening to LIVE-ACTION coverage...

I'm pretty sure the online feed is just going to be the feed of the new video board, which means there will be a lot of replays shown that may overlap the actual action during the game. They would either have to re-imagine how to display the game on the video board or have a totally separate production going on just for the internet which seems unlikely.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:29:16 AM by BasketBull » Logged
everlast2504
All MAC Performer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »

I don't think have seperate producitons for the internet and video board is out of question. First the video boards are HD so the feeds would have to be in HD and last time i checked they don't stream HD over the internet.
Buffalofan4255
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »

Not necessarily true. It has to do with the connection and cabling. HD cables cost a shaq ton...so they probably said we don't need to spend extra money for the internet.

DCA
All MAC Performer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »

This backcourt will be the death of me. I have no confidence in anybody.

I'd trade a guy like Filzen for somebody who shoots something like 5% worse from three but can get open more easily.

Like Alston before him, T-Rob is far better off the bench than as a starter.

CTBullsfan
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »

NOTE TO UB ATHLETICS:  Please ELIMINATE the "replay" function during live play.  NOTHING is more frustrating than watching a replay while listening to LIVE-ACTION coverage...
I'm pretty sure the online feed is just going to be the feed of the new video board, which means there will be a lot of replays shown that may overlap the actual action during the game. They would either have to re-imagine how to display the game on the video board or have a totally separate production going on just for the internet which seems unlikely.
Are we the only ones with this problem? That really stunk. I felt like I was always missing the action.
ChubbyHubby
Position Coach

RIDING FOR A CURE

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »

Last night was one of the best games I've ever seen T-Rob play.  He went strong to the basket without hesitation. 
A couple of weaknesses I noticed.
 Like everyone else, I agree that we badly need another outside shooter.  It would take some heat off of Zach and would allow our bigs the ability to get open underneath more readily.
On defense, we were allowing a big man to get open far too often directly under the basket.  If it wasn't for SWatt coming over from the opposite side and blocking a bunch of shots, they would have beaten us.
We still miss too many FREE throws.
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »

Fortunately, if you are going to have a guy that just can't score PG is probably the best place to have him. I am admittedly scared to see whether or not a guard who can actually shoot will step up when Filzen leaves, but I'm not expecting Oldham to be that guy.

I think at least the SF position looks ok to make up some of that. When he's healthy Nuiriankh plays an offensive game similar to Barnett's, but with more confidance taking shots, including 3's. I like him taking a shot vs a tough D more than Watson. I can't see Watson doing superbly unless it's against weak backcourts like we've seen so far this season. CR2's game is driving to the basket so unless he finds an outside game we'll have to find a Frosh or JUCO who can stretch a defense for our bigs next year.
xDerekRx
Global Moderator
Head Coach

xderekrx
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36:10 AM »

I like the way Oldham looks out there. Sorta has a bit of that Battle bounce in his dribble. The guy has talent. I guess Im just greedy. We have this great tandum inside, a solid 3 pt shooter, and a perfect glue guy in Barnett. To have a more reliable PG would be the icing on the cake.

Watson and Oldham had a hard time making a shot. I dont mind having playmakers at the PG. To be fair our Princeton style offense or whatever variation you want to call it, usually doesnt run through a PG. Its a lot of handoffs and ball screens.

My beef isnt 100% with Oldhams hesitation to shoot. Its his decision making. Some of the passes he attempted were later than the play was developing. If he gets more confidence and rhythm to his overall game he should be fun to watch.

One thing I hope doesnt continue is this odd 2 game stretch for Filzen. Both games (not including Buff State exhibition) Filzen took like 3 shots total and played 30+ minutes. I dont think Ive ever seen that in a box score involving him. You expect at least 10 attempts, sometimes even 10-12 3pt attempts. I cant argue too much since both Temple and Kent State we played well overall and his defense is good enough. But you hope he can start getting himself open again.
flow17
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »

For those of you that did not get to the game, heres a 4 min highlight clip from the game

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MIx1g2Zr3-A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MIx1g2Zr3-A</a>

There is a possession where Oldham passed up 3 open shots and finally nailed a 3 when McCrea kicked it back out to him.  Just put it up kid.

Season ticket holder
Follow me on twitter @fromthe300level
http://fromthe300level.com
BCBull
Position Coach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »

I agree that another outside shooter would help Filzen get open, but I'm ok with the Boyer/Oldham style of PG play. I think it'd be a hell of a lot easier to try to drive to the hoop more and kick it out. We haven't had a slasher of any sort since Pierce. McCrea is a great passer, but getting someone light and fast to fly in there, draw bodies, and be able to kick it back out quickly would do wonders for Filzen.

Great are the deeds yet to be written in the Annals of the Armies of the Tribe of Buffalo.
weareub46
All Rookie Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »

I agree with most said already with another outside shooter, and talks about PG. I do believe that PG potential is there though. Watson's spin move and layup was a thing of beauty
ubfan.com

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: