Figuring out Filzen
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Figuring out Filzen
Buffalo.com
Signed Recruit

View Profile Email
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

Zach's the team's second best scorer after McCrea, right? He's the team's only confident outside shooter. So why has he taken 10 shots in the last three (actual) games? There have been long stretches where I forget he's even on the floor.

http://www.buffalo.com/sports/blog/tsujs-ten-college-basketball-1-13/

I wish there was an easy way to get Filzen back involved in the offense, but I'm not convinced there is. Thoughts?
ChubbyHubby
Position Coach

RIDING FOR A CURE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »

My wish list would be for another outside shooter to step up and start draining some treys.  That would take some of the pressure off of Zach.  Right now each team is having their best defender stick to him like flys on Bull dung.
Buffalo.com
Signed Recruit

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »

Ha, nice analogy. Not enough mention of buffalo dung on this board.

I'd love for that player to be Dave Barnett, particularly because he's a real solid defender, too. A slightly-better three-point percentage would definitely validate having him on the floor for 30+ minutes per night. His release just looks so awkward!
flow17
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »

Someone commented on my post about this, and my response was that Reggie needs to figure it out.  I know there is no comparison between Filzen and Kevin Durant, but when he was at Texas he was double teamed and harassed and yet he somehow managed to put up 30+ points a game.  Has Filzen not worked on his dribbling skills at all in college to create his own shot?  Throw a pump fake and shoot a two, just get in a rhythm.  I have not watched the past couple of games but has anyone been setting screens on Filzen's man, or even a double screen at that?

Season ticket holder
Follow me on twitter @fromthe300level
http://fromthe300level.com
PittBull
Redshirt Freshman

Roaming Bull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:30:09 PM »

I know there is no comparison between Filzen and Kevin Durant, but when he was at Texas he was double teamed and harassed and yet he somehow managed to put up 30+ points a game.

He's the best scorer in the world?  I don't see the point.  Perhaps we could put Filzen on stilts.

Filzen's lack of success is similar to Ashton Gibbs's this year, in my opinion.  With the lack of another outside shooter, Gibbs/Filzen need to create on their own to get a good shot.  Neither is very good at it.  And because of that, the opposition's best perimeter defender is allowed to face guard him the whole game, and it's killing both of their scoring.  At least Filzen has the good sense not to force shots because he has interior scoring available to him.
JSF
Four Year Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »

I enjoy Barnett if for no other reason than it looks like someone unlocked the rainbow shot cheat on NBA JAM when he shoots.

Follow J. Scott Fitzwater's Twitter feed (updates, links, quick thoughts).
doormannail
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »

As I stated before, Zach's just not a come off the screen shooter. Very rarely has he even attempted those types of 3's. Usually just forgotten man on the weak side of a zone or a kick out after offensive rebound.
Now this year the motion offense is running much better and the ball is hitting the cutter after they set the screen. The only thing I see that could help would be to make the extra pass back out to the opposite wing. 
I haven't seen any evidence that there is anyone on roster that has these skills either.
Bullions
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:40:49 AM »

My wish list would be for another outside shooter to step up and start draining some treys.

I've been saying this for 2 years. Problem is, there's no one on the team who can reliably step up. We knew it heading into last year. We knew it heading into this year. IMO bad mistake by Reggie not to address this.

No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Billy Foster
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »

Enter:  Auram Nuiriankh & Rapel Thomas-Edwards...

UB needs Auram to be the shooter he was recruited to be!

Bullions
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 02:29:16 PM »

Enter:  Auram Nuiriankh & Rapel Thomas-Edwards...

UB needs Auram to be the shooter he was recruited to be!

Season stats,

Auuram   2.667 PPG   32.1%
Raphell   4 FG attempted, 2 FG made

I think you're been a little too optimistic.

No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
flow17
Redshirt Freshman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »

Let's be real here, Auram is not a DI player. Lots of pressure on Weir next year.

Season ticket holder
Follow me on twitter @fromthe300level
http://fromthe300level.com
RecoveringHillbilly
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »

Let's be real here, Auram is not a DI player.

Wayyyyyyy off base.
BasketBull
Position Coach

BU--FF--AL--O--GO

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »

Let's be real here, Auram is not a DI player.

Wayyyyyyy off base.

Agreed. Auraum was playing like our second best freshman towards the end of last year. He's struggled returning from injuries this year. I think he's the best shooter out of the five sophomores.
DCA
All MAC Performer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 08:20:13 PM »

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:34:25 PM by DCA » Logged

BrazenBull
Position Coach

Flecking Casual

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »

That's actually a good one.  Did you make that?
ubfan.com

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: