BullsOnParade
First Year Starter

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2006, 09:40:54 AM »

2005 PG (PG = pre-Gill)
1 win

2-3 wins

4-5 wins

6-7 wins (trip to the International Bowl against Syracuse)

In 2008, our QB (Drew Willy) will be a senior. Starks and Roosevelt will be juniors. Turner Gill will have more of his recruits on the team. The International Bowl (in Toronto) will feature a MAC team and a Big East team.

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place then here
What better time then now
zigo230
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:06:44 AM »

Unfortunately UB will be looking for a new coach if Gill wins 5 or 6 games next year.   Some mediocre BCS team will look to hire him.  
I want UB to get really good, really fast,,,,but maybe that would mean a quick departure for our coach.  I don't like that.
dbburns
Position Coach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »

yea that would be really awful if we were to start winning a lot very soon....

how can you say you dont like that.  I think if Gill were to build the program up and it were to become successful he may stay based on the fact that its his "baby".

Think of Reggies situation, i understand hes been a local guy for his career, but he signed until 2012 and i guarentee he could probably go somewhere a little more big time than ourselves if that was what he wanted to do.

06 Grad
zigo230
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:24:15 AM »

Nah, believe me i would take the win now thing.   Just making the point that Gill will get looks from bigger football schools as soon as he turns this thing around.  5 wins for UB would be major.
admin
Administrator
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 01:57:58 PM »

This doesn't seem like a fearless forecast to me.  More like fearful forecast.  You're predicting only 2-3 wins this year.  That means we only have to win 1 more game.

A fearless forecaster will be a little more bold.

Oh and a 5 win season won't leave us without a coach.  Believe me.  I don't think Gill will leave until he gets us a bowl game.  Now there's three.  It's actually easier to get a bowl game than an NCAA bid.
BullsOnParade
First Year Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 02:38:36 PM »

Quote from: "admin"
This doesn't seem like a fearless forecast to me.  More like fearful forecast.

I've got us going to a bowl game in *only* three years.
Think about it. UB Football. Bowl game.
Seems pretty fearless to me :)

Let's not get carried away after one game and think were going to a bowl game this year or next. We've got a brutal schedule over the next couple of years.

It has to start sometime
NENYBullsFan
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »

Quote from: "admin"
This doesn't seem like a fearless forecast to me.  More like fearful forecast.  You're predicting only 2-3 wins this year.  That means we only have to win 1 more game.

A fearless forecaster will be a little more bold.

Did you fellas happen to catch this in the Buffalo News today:

"Oh, it's a great day," said Gill, the former Nebraska great who gave Buffalo its first season-opening victory since 1997. "This is the first step of many things that happen down the road, and I think it's going to happen sooner rather than later."
CTBullsfan
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 04:26:19 PM »

Turner is all about changing the mindset. Its not like we are in the greatest conference in college football. Why not us ? Only Auburn and Wisconsin are kind of in a "different league" than us,and miracles do happen. CMU scared the crap out of BC last night. Why can't we knock them off ?

To play off of Turner and Tug McGraw - You gotta believe.
BullsOnParade
First Year Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 05:28:38 PM »

I guess the main thrust of my post was a path to a bowl game in just three years.

I would be more than happy to see us surprise everyone and win 5 or 6 games this year.
I just don't think it'll happen (I hope I'm wrong).

It was a great win against Temple, but they're essentially the worst team in the country and we barely beat them at home.

Let's be optimistic, but somewhat realistic.
Don't boo a true freshman kicker (pressed into action) because he misses a couple kicks. Don't be disappointed if we only win 2-3 games this year (hopefully it will be more).

Besides Auburn, Wisconsin and Boston College, we also play two of the best MAC teams on the road (Northern Illinois and Akron). Central Michigan played tough against Boston College.

I'm a little worried that we'll get banged up against the big conference foes.
CMU played their hearts out against BC and they paid a price. They were lumped up pretty good.

I hope we can return healthy from these road games against much bigger OOC teams.

It has to start sometime
brianc
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 12:56:26 AM »

If you look at the bottom 25 of the d1 teams, its mostly the MAC. UB has a chance to move up quick w/several good classes.

If Turner takes us to a bowl and bolts... (and its WAY to early to worry/think about it) who wouldnt wish him well?
BullsOnParade
First Year Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 10:20:33 AM »

Quote from: "brianc"
If you look at the bottom 25 of the d1 teams, its mostly the MAC. UB has a chance to move up quick w/several good classes.

Agreed.
I believe we can be extremely competitive in the MAC next year. In two years we could be one of the best.
Sports Illustrated did show the MAC some love this year, only 4 MAC teams in the bottom 30 (see below).

Quote from: "brianc"
If Turner takes us to a bowl and bolts... (and its WAY to early to worry/think about it) who wouldnt wish him well?

If/when he leaves, I'm sure I'll be a fan of his new team. I'm hoping we get at least 5 years (hopefully more). But this is college football, you just never know. Opportunities arise, we've all seen it before.

90 Air Force - MOUNTAIN WEST  
91 Vanderbilt - SEC  
92 UNLV - MOUNTAIN WEST  
93 Arkansas State - SUN BELT  
94 San Jose State - WAC  
95 Indiana - BIG TEN  
96 Oklahoma State - BIG 12  
97 Cincinnati - BIG EAST  
98 Washington - PAC-10  
99 Syracuse - BIG EAST  
100 Duke - ACC  
101 Marshall - CONFERENCE USA