News: Welcome to the new board.  August 30, 2014, 08:22:50 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. *

Cant wait to see how we match up w/Missouri.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Cant wait to see how we match up w/Missouri.
brianc
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »

Cant wait to see how we match up with the cream of the crop. Hope its 30 or less.

1)Our secondary is the best in the MAC .We  hope next year with everyone an upperclassman they are in the top 10 country. This is a great test for them.

2)Its at LB, we just cant hang. We have a brand new crew of starters and reserves with pass coverage problems aginst this type of talent.

3)Drew Willy, Jeff Nederm.  and  Jackson have a chance to really help their draft status. Missouri is loaded with 09 draft picks including at least one first rounder. Many scouts will see these game tapes.
drfish
All MAC Performer

from my coaching experience

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »

Missouri will likely (I hate to say this) score 50 on the Bulls.  The Bulls need to have some sustained drives to chew up clock and have a few breaks besides to keep the score down.  It will take some very good luck to beat the Tigers in Columbia.  Fortunately, Missouri hasn't had to break a sweat since they played the Illini.  Maybe they will be looking ahead to their next game with the Huskers.

cogito ergo sum
promotherobot
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »

Let's hope we can control the ball some.  I think UB will score some points and keep it (reletively) close...say within 20 points.  I think the most interesting thing about this game is seeing how our offense does against a national championship contender. 

PTR
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:09:32 AM by promotherobot » Logged
Jeseph
Global Moderator
Offensive Coordinator

True Blue Co-Founder and Alumni

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »

If we are able to make some big plays in the secondary this could go a long way towards making them a "battle tested" group, heading into MAC play we won't face another set of weapons like the guys at Mizzou.

Jenk3423
All Rookie Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:48:34 AM »

Agreed Notorious...MAC play will seem like slow motion to these guys after going against Mizzou.

Official born again Gill-byterian: December 16, 2005
CalvinCagefor3
Position Coach

Go Bulls Go

McLouthManiacs13
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »

Starks is going to need to return to form and still get contributions from Henry and Thermilius. We are going to have to dominate time of possession to have any chance to keep it close, otherwise it will be a long day.
zigo230
Offensive Coordinator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »

I agree with the other poster who said time of possession means little.  Nevada held the ball for nearly 35 mins and gave up what? 69?  No thanks.  If anything, make Mizzou have to kill 5-6-7 minutes on their scoring drives.  Easy to say but those long quick TD plays are how they rack up 69.

I am very interested to see if UB can stay competitive. Not expecting them to score less than 45 so Willy and the O will have to really shine.  Should be fun.  Most of all, I just want the team to come out of this healthy.  It's not worth it to me to see Willy take a huge hit in a lopsided game and risk killing our MAC title hopes and/or bowl bid.  If it gets out of hand, I'd expect to see the young QB's maybe get some big atmosphere game experience.
drfish
All MAC Performer

from my coaching experience

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:03:48 PM »

This will be a tough nut.  I think UB has to play flawless and then hope for a flat Missouri team that loses concentration.

cogito ergo sum
buffalobulls
Verbal Commit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »

if it does get ugly and they put in a younger quarterback i hope its maynard. i read an article that said he looks like a mike vick type QB without the jail and stuff. gill is probably looking to see if he can get the option game goin just like him at nabraska.
CalvinCagefor3
Position Coach

Go Bulls Go

McLouthManiacs13
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:59 PM »

I agree with the other poster who said time of possession means little.  Nevada held the ball for nearly 35 mins and gave up what? 69?  No thanks.  If anything, make Mizzou have to kill 5-6-7 minutes on their scoring drives.  Easy to say but those long quick TD plays are how they rack up 69.

I am very interested to see if UB can stay competitive. Not expecting them to score less than 45 so Willy and the O will have to really shine.  Should be fun.  Most of all, I just
 want the team to come out of this healthy.  It's not worth it to me to see Willy take a huge hit in a lopsided game and risk killing our MAC title hopes and/or bowl bid.  If it gets out of hand, I'd expect to see the young QB's maybe get some big atmosphere game experience.

So you are going to try and run and gun with Missouri? Good Luck, they'll score 80.
dbrhee
All Rookie Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »

I believe the game is relatively close (<20 points).. I think Missouri would score like crazy and bring in 2nd team ...
The chance is close to nil.. Not cause I do not believe in the team but from the 3 games played..  Just say penalty, mental mistake, or can't stop the 3rd and long on defense...

If they could get a low 3rd down conversion, we have a chance.. But then again, Missouri might need just 2 downs to get 1st downs and score...

For me, I want the Bulls to have the experience and develop into a premier and caliber team...This would be a great learning curve and show a fair assessment on their talent to BCS conferences
Hokie200proof
Four Year Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »

if it does get ugly and they put in a younger quarterback i hope its maynard. i read an article that said he looks like a mike vick type QB without the jail and stuff. gill is probably looking to see if he can get the option game goin just like him at nabraska.

Hmmmm.  Mike Vick type QB. 

Having some firsthand insight on that let me stop you there.  There probably won't be another Mike Vick.  For anyone who saw him play live it was the most amazing thing you've ever seen.  He was a threat to score (arm or legs) on every single play.  I could remember 3rd and 20+ where I was confident we'd convert.  And we almost always did.  In fact, he was most dangerous when you gave him a cushion.  He'd let his receivers run off and then he'd scramble and make up the ground in between.  His runs are still all over Youtube, they speak for themselves.  He could throw 50 yards on the run easy.  He was an athletic freak like no other. 

I know what you're trying to say.  Maynard is a mobile QB... and I believe that type of QB is the future at UB (or anywhere for that matter... these days if your QB can't move you're in trouble) but I will bet you everything I own that he won't be next Mike Vick.

I don't think there's even a category for a Vick-like QB because no one comes close to what he could do.

There are plenty of Donavan McNabb/Vince Young/Tavarius Jackson/Denis Dixon QB's out there now and there will be more and more in the years to come.  If Maynard can be like any of those guys I'd be ecstatic.

Back to the point of this thread...

We absolutely MUST control the ball and the clock.  With their offense (nothing to do with our defense or the defenses they've already faced) I would expect to give up points every time we go 3-out.  They just get the ball in the endzone.  They can do it so many different ways too.  If this becomes a shoot-out we will be WAY outgunned early and often.  We don't have their player-for-player talent.  We don't have their depth.  The only way I see us making this a game or pulling off the miracle is if we dominate the clock and keep it running until we have a shot to score last.

If it's relatively close (two scores or less) going into the 4th quarter we might have a shot.  At that point we might be trying to do some more run-and-gun schemes... but before then we better not have any 3-and-out 3 incomplete pass possessions.  If we do we'll be in serious trouble.

Our RB's will need big games.  I hope Starks can shake off last game and get involved in both running and receiving.  Willy is going to have to protect the ball and hit the quick routes and complete as many passes as he can.  The more incomplete passes he throws, the more time the Missou points machine will have the ball... and they don't need it very long to make big and long plays happen.  I'd take three runs for three yards each than 2 incompletes and a 9 yard catch.  We need to move the clock, minimize the game to the just the 4th quarter.  If Willy can keep getting the 5-6 passes to Rack, Hamlin, Jackson and keep the clock moving I think we could make a game of it.  If he can sneak a Roosevelt pass between the safeties for a long score that would be money.  If not, this could get ugly.  They are a very good team... with (judging only from TigerBoard.com) a mildly retarded fanbase. 

We have to hope they're all (fans, coaches, players) looking past us.  I've heard their place is a tough place to play.

That said, I like having these games on the schedule.  We should always schedule a top-10 BCS team if we can, even if it means doing a 2-1 deal.  The better we get the harder it will be to do.  We have nothing to lose in these games.  If we win we'll have national exposure like nothing we've ever seen.  If we lose, well... that's what almost everyone expects.  Even a close loss gains us more respect.  We're not going to be competing for the BCS NC anytime soon so out of conference losses don't really mean
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:55:57 PM by Hokie200proof » Logged

"Um, I might have fibbed a little about Quinn.  Yea, I gotta go, we're losing to another FCS team... by a lot" 21:1-2 - Letters of Gill to the Buffaloanians
Jenk3423
All Rookie Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:49:36 PM »

I think they may be over looking us a bit already...got this from the Sportsline preview:

As these schools prepare to meet for the first time, Pinkel is showing respect for Buffalo's program.

"Turner Gill has done a great job at the University of Buffalo," Pinkel said. "He has really got a football team that is well coached and disciplined. ... Defensively they're a good team, good blitz package, they do a lot of good things. It'll be a challenge."

Buffalo is off to its best start since joining the Football Bowl Subdivision in 1999, and is seeking its first 3-1 start since 1996.

The defense? Really?

Of all the things to worry about Pinkel picks out our D?

And CAN SOMEBODY REMIND THE ENTIRE COUNTRY WE ARE THE UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO???

Sheesh...Overlook us all you want but at least get the name right. We deserve that much respect.

Official born again Gill-byterian: December 16, 2005
faurotfield
Prospect

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »

This is from Gary Pinkel's Monday press conference. Where do you see the disrespect/looking past UB?

Looking at Buffalo…first of all I have ties in Buffalo. My mother and father were both born in Buffalo, N.Y. All my relatives are from Buffalo, so growing up I’ve been there many, many times. I’ve got a lot of aunts and uncles and cousins that live there. It’s a great city. Turner Gill has done a great job at the University of Buffalo. He has really got a football team that is well coached and disciplined. They had a big win over the University of Texas-El Paso and I have tremendous respect for that program. The second game they went down to the wire with Pitt and then they had a big win last weekend against Temple. So he’s making tremendous progress there and he has a very experienced football team. I’m very impressed with their quarterback, the decisions he makes and how he runs the team. Defensively they’re a good team, good blitz package, they do a lot of good things. It’ll be a challenge. What we’re going to try to do, what we always try to do, is improve in every area of our football team and prepare to try and play our best game. And that’s what we’re going to try and get done, starting tomorrow."

buffalobulls
Verbal Commit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »

hey hokie simmer down. easy killer. take a chill pill. i said i read it in an article ok just dont eat me.
ubfan.com

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: