Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Turner Battle

Would Whitesell bring him on board?

Also the transfer protocol is heating up. For example Toledo had a wave of players jump in today. Two of which apparently we recruited. Not saying we are going after them but what I’m saying is that it’s a good thing thus far that no one off our roster has entered the protocol. 

Also read tweets that said recruiting was suspended until mid April. Also read that spring season athletes will get their eligibility back. No word yet on winter sports. 

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Also the transfer protocol is heating up. For example Toledo had a wave of players jump in today. Two of which apparently we recruited. Not saying we are going after them but what I’m saying is that it’s a good thing thus far that no one off our roster has entered the protocol. 

Also read tweets that said recruiting was suspended until mid April. Also read that spring season athletes will get their eligibility back. No word yet on winter sports. 

I believe only in person recruiting has stopped.  Phone calls/emails are still happening.

And spring sports are granted their year because they had just started their season while basketball had finished the season.  The UB men's season was over.  Not getting another year.

11 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I believe only in person recruiting has stopped.  Phone calls/emails are still happening.

And spring sports are granted their year because they had just started their season while basketball had finished the season.  The UB men's season was over.  Not getting another year.

No I’m person and on campus visits for recruiting. Yes phone calls can still take place. No evaluation periods.

Yes spring sports got the year granted as I said. And there’s no word on winter sports yet. Yes UBs season was over but the NCAA isn’t gonna single out UB. It would be s sweeping act for all athletes across all winter sports, if they the NCAA take that measure.

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Turner was an assistant here before I doubt he would be interested in coming back unless he needed a job or the jobs he was offered were all lower on the totem pool

He did interview for the head coach job just last season, so that could be weird for all involved 

They could give him an associate HC job.  Would technically be a promotion.

At this point I say we need a young up and comer as an assistant coach. Someone who can connect with the modern athlete. To me that would round out the staff. Its what Hogdson was and what Jenkins would have been. Not saying Battle isn’t but @Tee4threemade some valid points about him having interviewed for the job last year. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

3 hours ago, rma said:

They could give him an associate HC job.  Would technically be a promotion.

Is angus or Jamie the current associate?

Honest question would it be a good thing to go to our past with Turner or a bad thing(hired wise)? I can't decide myself. On one hand its always good to keep you programs best players around and involved. Shows a dedication and commitment. But on the other he comes from a time where our style of play was slower/less entertaining and not winning championships

I'm probably over thinking it and he would be a great addition

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

At this point I say we need a young up and comer as an assistant coach. Someone who can connect with the modern athlete. To me that would round out the staff. Its what Hogdson was and what Jenkins would have been. Not saying Battle isn’t but @Tee4threemade some valid points about him having interviewed for the job last year. 

Yep we are missing a recruiter, I noticed as the season came to an end Tom Fox was taking a more active and visual role on the sidelines. 

On 3/13/2020 at 3:21 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Turner Battle is ready for a HC job. He's been an assistant for almost 10 years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Box out! Still hurts even now. My junior year. Battle, if he isn’t already, would’ve gone down as a legend for hitting that jumper.

I remember that game in Cleveland. A student asked how I was feeling at the half. I looked serious at the student (with the big half lead). I told him I was cautiously optimistic.

• 10 months later...

Battle is no longer an assistant at ETSU. Based on tweet I read, it seems Desmond Oliver met with Battle and they agreed to part.

I have wondered if he could become a head coach at the HS or non-D1 level somewhere. I am one who would like to see him become a serious candidate at UB in the future, and for him to gain some team leader experience would make him stand out with UB in the future. Being an alumni, pro player, and 4 assistant coach stops so far, hadn't pushed him past other UB finalists.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Battle is no longer an assistant at ETSU. Based on tweet I read, it seems Desmond Oliver met with Battle and they agreed to part.

I have wondered if he could become a head coach at the HS or non-D1 level somewhere. I am one who would like to see him become a serious candidate at UB in the future, and for him to gain some team leader experience would make him stand out with UB in the future. Being an alumni, pro player, and 4 assistant coach stops so far, hadn't pushed him past other UB finalists.

Only fear with Battle coming here down the road is that he'll bring Reggie ball with him. I can't stand that system and would much prefer the current up-tempo style. We have outgrown the days where we needed endless perimeter screens to mitigate our lack of athletes.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, clodney said:

Only fear with Battle coming here down the road is that he'll bring Reggie ball with him. I can't stand that system and would much prefer the current up-tempo style. We have outgrown the days where we needed endless perimeter screens to mitigate our lack of athletes.

Do we really know what style he will use? He’s never been a head coach. Plus I’d like to think that a PG like him would know how the game has evolved. I think it’s best for him to try to become the lead man to show he can coach and more importantly recruit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/24/2020 at 9:25 AM, myBuffalo said:

Box out?!? Yassin was fouled, watch 33 barrel down the lane and push him off of his line - still bothers me - I remember how silent and down I felt at Blondies that day...

taking the shot with 13 seconds left with the shot clock off is the 2nd most devastating 13 seconds in my life.

• Like 1