Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Raymond Hawkins

I am always skeptical of top ranked recruits who consider a program like UB.  It most often means that other programs have passed them over despite their ranking because they see some flaw which results in the player becoming available.  

While there are exceptions, most of the players that become stars for programs like UB are the not ranked recruits that were overlooked and develop into great players. 

The story on Hawkins and why ub was in the discussion (and was coming here) was playing time. Here he would have gotten minutes right away at other power schools that were in on him he would have been similar to what he did at Alabama. Which it looks like alabama screwed him by not red shirting him and wasted a years worth of eligibility

I hope he considers ub, would be a great addition. Front court of him and mballa could be nasty

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tee4three said:

The story on Hawkins and why ub was in the discussion (and was coming here) was playing time. Here he would have gotten minutes right away at other power schools that were in on him he would have been similar to what he did at Alabama. Which it looks like alabama screwed him by not red shirting him and wasted a years worth of eligibility

I hope he considers ub, would be a great addition. Front court of him and mballa could be nasty

Which is why I laughed at the whole situation. As I have said in other post, Oats is swimming or trying to swim in the deep end of the recurring pool (4/5 star players and one and done players). We had gotten to the middle of the pool which is why we initially landed Hawkins. But it’s clear he isn’t the caliber player Oats needed  for the SEC. Not a knock on the kid...Oats needs impact players right away. He has no time to develop. Had he come to UB he could’ve gotten minutes and learned by doing. Not wasting on the bench.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 12:46 PM, rma said:

Unless there's no Brock and no Fagan, I don't know if he gets a ton of minutes if he comes here.

I still do not see Brock even if he stays being any help except for a few minutes a game . I know he is a good kid and teammate but with all his injuries he is not quick enough to compete against the athletic bigs in the MAC. Any athletic big we can land should be given the chance to get playing time with or behind Mballa. Still uncertain if Fagan will be on the team or be any help for us due to his limited playing time and his injury status. Maybe the only hope is to land a Juco athletic player in the 6’6’ to 6’9’ who can shoot and rebound. Go Bulls!!!!

2 hours ago, John said:

I still do not see Brock even if he stays being any help except for a few minutes a game . I know he is a good kid and teammate but with all his injuries he is not quick enough to compete against the athletic bigs in the MAC. Any athletic big we can land should be given the chance to get playing time with or behind Mballa. Still uncertain if Fagan will be on the team or be any help for us due to his limited playing time and his injury status. Maybe the only hope is to land a Juco athletic player in the 6’6’ to 6’9’ who can shoot and rebound. Go Bulls!!!!

This guy looks like he may fit the bill

Russell Harrison - 6'7" SF - Clarendon College - Ranked #8 on the jucorecruiting.com

image.thumb.png.1d6a2a64bd87056094a8c295bc8253aa.png

Note that the 41.6% 3PT% is based on 185 attempts.

Russell Harrison (video)

Per verbalcommits.com list of offers are Oklahoma State, Portland, Lamar and New Mexico

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Russell Harrison - 6'7" SF - Clarendon College - Ranked #8 on the jucorecruiting.com

Russell Harrison (video)

Per verbalcommits.com list of offers are Oklahoma State, Portland, Lamar and New Mexico

Can only hope the UB coaching staff is working diligently to come up with some potential prospects and I hope Whitesell is working on getting another coach to help with recruiting with a decent track record of recruiting across the country. Go Bulls!!!

18 hours ago, John said:

We saw Brock get a decent amount of minutes this year despite not being a ton improved since last year. 

18 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Russell Harrison (video)

Do agree. Video shows he can shoot the 3’s, has a nice pull up jumper, can drive to the rim and has the size to rebound. Hope he is on UB’s radar. Go Bulls!!!!

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Anybody think we’re in on his transfer (announcement on 22nd)?

Is he announcing where he ia going on the 22nd? Or just his final 5 or so he is considering?  And I'd like to think we are in on him. We have enough guards now haha 

19 hours ago, Kevin said:

Nope.

Not in on him.

I went back and looked at some film on Hawkins and he looked like he has some athletic quickness and moves his feet decent with some moves around the basket. The 2nd film on him looked like he lost some weight also. Would be an upgrade for us on the front line over all the players we have and would be a good complement to Mballa. Have not heard if we are giving him a look or not. We definitely need to get another bigger front line player with a decent presence down low that can give us some productive minutes. Hope we get some positive news because some of the other MAC teams are signing some JUCOs and other players with some decent size. Go Bulls!!!!

• 1 year later...