Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Raymond Hawkins

21 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Because of course. No thanks I’ll pass. 

The portal is so dumb, commit to UB, de-commit. Go to Bama, leave. Go to LBSt, leave. What a dumb policy that the NCAA has. I hardly blame him, it's the policy that is a complete farce. If they didn't want people transferring, they wouldn't allow it, but clearly they do. But you know, "student-athletes".

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

The portal is so dumb, commit to UB, de-commit. Go to Bama, leave. Go to LBSt, leave. What a dumb policy that the NCAA has. I hardly blame him, it's the policy that is a complete farce. If they didn't want people transferring, they wouldn't allow it, but clearly they do. But you know, "student-athletes".

The transfer portal has turned college sports into total chaos. Money and greed have turned college sports off for many of us in our family and unfortunately we will try and find other avenues for our enjoyment. The days of kids going to college to get an education and be lucky enough and talented enough to play sports and come out with a degree are gone are not enough for kids in many instances. And why did it happen it is because of the amount of money given to coaches and conferences  along with other factors. Now it is not enough for kids to get a free education and still play sports. The entire world has gone to hell in a hand basket. Will try to enjoy life without sports but we will probably have to go to counseling. Go Bulls but not sure in what direction???

On 3/26/2022 at 10:57 PM, skrabukes said:

In his case it’s just hurting him.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2021/college-basketball-transfers-2021-1234646192/amp/

While the rise in college basketball transfers has drawn sharp criticism from some quarters, it is important to note that college athlete transfer rates are still far below those of the general student population. According to a study by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, 37% of college undergraduates across the country transfer at least once during their four years.”

The real story is that the NCAA had previously been inhibiting kids’ ability to do what’s best for them like the average student does all the time

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2021/college-basketball-transfers-2021-1234646192/amp/

While the rise in college basketball transfers has drawn sharp criticism from some quarters, it is important to note that college athlete transfer rates are still far below those of the general student population. According to a study by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, 37% of college undergraduates across the country transfer at least once during their four years.”

The real story is that the NCAA had previously been inhibiting kids’ ability to do what’s best for them like the average student does all the time

Most of those 37% were not going to school for free however, after the school invested time and money into their (potential) development.  Without having the actual data, I'd guess that many of those transfers moved closer to home after originally going away. In the past, the ncaa would grant hardship waivers, unlike now where it is essentially a blanket transfer waiver without penalty (hence encouraged). Nothing stopped someone from transferring in the past, they just had to sit out of competition for a year, they still could go to classes/practices, so they really weren't "inhibiting" anything, just putting a deterrent on constant movement for any reason that popped into someone's head.

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Most of those 37% were not going to school for free however, after the school invested time and money into their (potential) development.

Scholarships have always been one year deals. A percentage of transfers are run-offs on the wrong side of that deal. Committing your time and talent in exchange for a scholarship isn’t “free” anyway.

7 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

In the past, the ncaa would grant hardship waivers, unlike now where it is essentially a blanket transfer waiver without penalty (hence encouraged).

Do they provide money for relocation? Do they send postings to kids on better situations? I don’t think encourage means what you think it means.

Of all posts to make a stand on how the transfer portal makes sports less fun for you, this is a strange one. The kid has dealt with loss of a parent, Oats selling him a bill of goods, and major injury. I hope he finds what he’s looking for

Until coaches honor contracts why should the athletes? Just look at Holloway. Rumors are he has a deal in place to go to Seton Hall. All while leading St. Peter’s on a Cinderella run.

Is there a one time transfer policy? Meaning you get one transfer before you sit out a year? Someone fact check that. 

31 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Until coaches honor contracts why should the athletes? Just look at Holloway. Rumors are he has a deal in place to go to Seton Hall. All while leading St. Peter’s on a Cinderella run.

Is there a one time transfer policy? Meaning you get one transfer before you sit out a year? Someone fact check that. 

I assumed Holloway would be gone. A Cinderella run just means you lose your coach a year or two before you were going to.

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Scholarships have always been one year deals. A percentage of transfers are run-offs on the wrong side of that deal. Committing your time and talent in exchange for a scholarship isn’t “free” anyway.

Do they provide money for relocation? Do they send postings to kids on better situations? I don’t think encourage means what you think it means.

Of all posts to make a stand on how the transfer portal makes sports less fun for you, this is a strange one. The kid has dealt with loss of a parent, Oats selling him a bill of goods, and major injury. I hope he finds what he’s looking for

Hawkins is just one person the the sea of thousands now. I don't like the portal, plain and simple. Just my opinion, nothing more. I feel that a good percentage of student athletes in football/basketball especially,  look at their coach/conference/team situation first (and in some cases, only) and the school itself is an afterthought.  While I'm not even necessarily opposed to that train of thought, if something goes wrong with any of those parts,  it's hello portal. 

Others in the athletic dept (coaches, ADs, staff) do similarly though as well, so who am I to say anything? I applied to a school,  got accepted, went to school/competed there, graduated. Transferring never even crossed my mind.  That seems to be less and less frequent with every passing year recently. Again, that's not the athlete's fault, that's because the system doesn't care if it happens.

How does Hawkins affect APY, if that's even a thing anymore, when he, or anyone else is at 2, 3, 4 schools? Are each of them responsible for him graduating, or just the first, last?  Just wondering how that works. I remember that a lot of classes/credits didn't want to transfer from school to school. Maybe that doesn't happen anymore. 

I can think of a positive or two to it, and to each their own, I still am not a portal fan by and large. 

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I was expecting Holloway to be planning the 11:00 AM Monday Seton Hall press conference during halftime of the game against UNC (or at least giving his agent the go-ahead to make the deal).  I mean, how do you fault Holloway at all for this?

14 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I was expecting Holloway to be planning the 11:00 AM Monday Seton Hall press conference during halftime of the game against UNC (or at least giving his agent the go-ahead to make the deal).  I mean, how do you fault Holloway at all for this?

I don’t fault him, I just question why even have mid-majors at all. Why not just have 40-50 teams at the top tier that pay players, get the elite of elite and then everyone else just has a lower tier league they compete in. Can set it up like Pro soccer, they can buy players from the lower league, etc. at least that way those teams get something for honing the raw talent. Right now it’s a slippery slope on team success, if you are two good, go end up in the trash bin for a few years. The other option is just be mediocre, 17-19 wins per year and keep a coach for 10-15 years (see St Bonaventure). Their coach was happy or float along, not rock the boat, someone offers him a sack of cash, gets his current group to pony up and will glide along for a while longer. Maybe they get a decent top 25 team in a few years or just hang in the middle of the A-10. I don’t know what’s better or worse anymore.

49 minutes ago, UB92 said:

The run has nothing to do with the move.  He is a Seton Hall alum (where he played against UB).  He was going home even if they lost to Kentucky when Seton Hall opened up.

26 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

The run has nothing to do with the move.  He is a Seton Hall alum (where he played against UB).  He was going home even if they lost to Kentucky when Seton Hall opened up.

If anything the run gets him a few extra dollars. I begrudge him nor the athletes anything. It’s a dog eat dog system in which those at the top profit the most and unfairly. So if a coach wants to secure the bag, cool. And if a player wants to transfer bc he thinks there’s a spot out there that’s better to him and his personal outlook for securing the bag, then cool. Get yours. Yes this all sucks for us UB fans. As a mid major school this is what we find ourselves in. Such is life. But that life is no excuse to not invest and reinvest into athletics. Bc even that one run…provides so so much. Rant over.

I didn’t quote you to get at you. Please don’t take it that way. I agree with your post regarding Seton Hall.

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

While the run may not have had anything to do with ultimate decision to hire Holloway, it clearly impacts the move in many ways:

• I suspect his contract might be a bit more (or longer)
  • Perhaps gives him a longer "transition" time if he isn't successful at SHU right away
  • Helps with recruiting as he has been the "face" of the tournament so far
  • Allows for much less chirping (by fans, donors, supporters of other potential candidates, etc.) on the decision to hire him
  • Etc...

• Like 1