Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

10 minutes ago, RoughToughBulls15 said:

Whitesell has a ton of ammunition with roster flexibility now. The only thing that hurts is there arent truly any starting spots available. If we assume its Segu, Jack, Williams, Mballa, Hardnett. 

Not being day 1 starter is probably deterring a lot of players in the transfer portal to coming to UB

Excellent point! Which furthers my original point that now is the time to bring in younger players. To groom and develop. Guys that will become starters once the big 3 graduate. Which is only a year. So for example: let’s say we sign Blocker. There’s no reason why he can’t contribute as a bench role player next season. Then in his sophomore year make the jump to the starting lineup. Same situation if we bring in a PG.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoughToughBulls15 said:

Whitesell has a ton of ammunition with roster flexibility now. The only thing that hurts is there arent truly any starting spots available. If we assume its Segu, Jack, Williams, Mballa, Hardnett. 

Not being day 1 starter is probably deterring a lot of players in the transfer portal to coming to UB

Yes but big minutes to be had as Segu backup and even in 2 guard spot also. We need a starting capable guard w some experience especially this next year if we gonna make legit run at getting to chip. Our lack of depth was exposed at times this year especially in Mac tourney.. 

5 hours ago, RoughToughBulls15 said:

I’m gonna say Brewton is a lock at starter, if he’s here for next year. Hardnett and Skogman are going to be seeing plenty of time. 

Thats 7 players in the rotation, ideally we would need another guard in that rotation, maybe even 2 more. And if we can maintain a 8-9 player rotation, we should be solid. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I’m gonna say Brewton is a lock at starter, if he’s here for next year. Hardnett and Skogman are going to be seeing plenty of time. 

Thats 7 players in the rotation, ideally we would need another guard in that rotation, maybe even 2 more. And if we can maintain a 8-9 player rotation, we should be solid. 

For us to reach another level next year Brewton needs to be involved. Hardnett has earned his starting role. I agree Skogman should see more playing time. However I don’t think Brewton is a lock. I know he was injured but he showed nothing this season. He has to earn that starters role. 

And I can’t stress this enough...right now who is backing up Segu? Rondo can’t play 34 minutes every game. We desperately need a PG who can come in and play the backup role. Graves played point at times when Rondo got a breather, but he’s gone. Nickelberry did the same but the offense was not good when he was running it. I’m happy with the recruiting news that’s been circulating but disappointed we have yet to be linked with a PG. 

But yes if we are 9 deep then I like our chances. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

And I can’t stress this enough...right now who is backing up Segu? Rondo can’t play 34 minutes every game. We desperately need a PG who can come in and play the backup role.

This is the biggest question mark at this point.   I hope the staff has a plan here as this could hinder next year and beyond.

11 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

What has Brewton showed that makes him a lock? Jack is far and away more accomplished player.

Honestly we should have 0 expectation for Brewton this year, he looked awful in the minutes he got and shot horribly from 3 and the field. Anything he provides will be a +. Hopefully he can play a Caruthers type role for us.

18 minutes ago, RoughToughBulls15 said:

What has Brewton showed that makes him a lock? Jack is far and away more accomplished player.

Honestly we should have 0 expectation for Brewton this year, he looked awful in the minutes he got and shot horribly from 3 and the field. Anything he provides will be a +. Hopefully he can play a Caruthers type role for us.

Wow, that last line is a major goal. If he (or anyone) could do that, we instantly get WAY better. I don't see anyone on the current roster that will be that. Chanse was that hope, oops.

12 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Wow, that last line is a major goal. If he (or anyone) could do that, we instantly get WAY better. I don't see anyone on the current roster that will be that. Chanse was that hope, oops.

I didnt say "be Caruthers" I say play that type of role. 7th man (Perkins was technically the 6th) shoots above avg. and plays a little D for us. 

Just now, Dabulls said:

Segu and jack are point guards right, Brewton is more of a shooting guard? We’d need another SG and kidtrell would fit there

I don't believe that Jack is  a PG. More of a slasher, athlete. 

26 minutes ago, RoughToughBulls15 said:

I didnt say "be Caruthers" I say play that type of role. 7th man (Perkins was technically the 6th) shoots above avg. and plays a little D for us. 

Understandable.  Caruthers played a lot of D! That guy ( him or Jordan ) was sorely missed this year.

5 hours ago, RoughToughBulls15 said:

That's a bit of an understatement for the MAC Defensive POY and possibly our best defensive player this century.

Edited by clodney
  • Like 5

Some Tennessee intrigue with UB and WNY ties. I saw ETSU and their coach parted ways this week after disagreements with the team kneeling. Turner Battle is still listed on the staff with one other assistant.

Today I read none other than Desmond Oliver could step over from the Vols and be named ETSU coach. Who knows if Battle could hold on there if that happens, or move elsewhere. But one tweet also mentioned Gaines could follow Oliver to ETSU. 

There are currently 60 freshman PG transfers who have yet to commit to a new school.  Here are the ones with 3/4 ranking, maybe some possibility within this group to replace Chance?

Rank Player Team PPG RBG ASG
4 Adam Miller Illinois 8.3 2.8 0.8
4 Jamal Mashburn, Jr. Minnesota 8.2 1.6 1.6
3 Mason Madsen Cincinnati 6.5 3.0 1.1
4 Deivon Smith Mississippi State 5.2 3.6 2.9
3 Baylor Hebb Loyola Chicago 3.7 0.9 0.5
4 Mike Saunders Jr Cincinnati 3.5 1.4 1.4
4 Noah Farrakhan East Carolina 3.0 0.9 1.0
3 Marcus Watson Jr Western Illinois 3.0 1.9 1.9
4 Jalen Terry Oregon 2.9 1.2 1.1
4 Elijah Wood Nebraska 0.8 0.4 0.2
3 John McGriff St. John's 0.7 0.6 0.6
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Way too early. Nothing is a given with kids these days. Hope you didn’t jinx it

Yuppp. I like how the only compliment of the staff recruiting process the last two years is that “well they kept the 10ppg PG from leaving” 

Edited by NYS Bulls