Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

7 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

How about the fact that we are one of the few schools that have lost zero individuals of consequence to the portal.  While kids are jumping left and right, our staff has done a great job keeping these guys bought in.  That should always be the number one priority of a coaching staff.

As far as I am concerned you now have to re-recruit your own players every year and our staff has done a great job keeping Mballa, Williams, Segu, Hardnett and others to remain here.

Agree 100%. Great job keeping who we have. However that’s not what my main point was. Yes kudos for keeping who we have, so far, now go get pieces to help them win now and pieces for the future. To which...in agreement with @ub2019 and @RoughToughBulls15 and as I said in previous post, now is the time to bring in talent for the future. Talent that doesn’t expect to start ASAP. Talent that can be cultivated through playing minor role player type minutes. Get me freshman who can come in and play a role this season but be the future leaders of the team as soon as next season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agree 100%. Great job keeping who we have. However that’s not what my main point was. Yes kudos for keeping who we have, so far, now go get pieces to help them win now and pieces for the future. To which...in agreement with @ub2019 and @RoughToughBulls15 and as I said in previous post, now is the time to bring in talent for the future. Talent that doesn’t expect to start ASAP. Talent that can be cultivated through playing minor role player type minutes. Get me freshman who can come in and play a role this season but be the future leaders of the team as soon as next season.

I am in the wait and see who UB brings on board.  I am anxious to hear some news.  For perspective, there are a total of 120 FR / SO PG transfers currently available in the portal.  Here is a sampling of who is available:

image.png.ba93c108ec9aedc0fb2a61049cc6115e.png

This doesn't include HS SR / JUCO or D2 players.  So there are options.  Let's hope we hit on the right ones.

• Thanks 1

Here is the status of transfer portal - specifically for PG (which is a need).

image.thumb.png.32b1558ead10f749842aef040c727726.png

What I see is that the uncommitted FR as a percent of total FR transfers is much higher, especially when considering those ranked 3 or better.  So what I see, is that if there is a better ranked point guard in JR / SR class a P5+ is typically snapping them up.  FR transfers seem to be waiting on best offer - so taking more time to get commits.  One final comment, the 'better' transfers (i.e. 3+ ranking) are going faster, so there is some urgency.

49 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Here is the status of transfer portal - specifically for PG (which is a need).

image.thumb.png.32b1558ead10f749842aef040c727726.png

What I see is that the uncommitted FR as a percent of total FR transfers is much higher, especially when considering those ranked 3 or better.  So what I see, is that if there is a better ranked point guard in JR / SR class a P5+ is typically snapping them up.  FR transfers seem to be waiting on best offer - so taking more time to get commits.  One final comment, the 'better' transfers (i.e. 3+ ranking) are going faster, so there is some urgency.

PG is what I don't understand, we have minutes for a ball handler this season and a ton for the following season. We have talented athletic bigs(this season and going forward). And on top of that we play a very friendly system to point guards. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

PG is what I don't understand, we have minutes for a ball handler this season and a ton for the following season. We have talented athletic bigs(this season and going forward). And on top of that we play a very friendly system to point guards. 

I may be wrong - but looking at the numbers - the pecking order seems to be teams going after the JR / SR first and it is taking time to sort out where the FR go. It could also be that there is more competition, as teams are looking for having the player with them potentially 3 (or is it 4 - I am unclear whether they would have four years eligibility).  Of course there may be other reasons why most of the 3+ FR PG are still in the portal.  The fact that we have minutes to offer a FR PG is only part of the equation as there are other teams in similar boat (including P5 programs).  The transfers are striving to maximize their landing spot at the same time teams are trying to maximize who they get a commit from.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYS Bulls said:

Oh gosh a stud lower major player. 
the UB staff needs till June guys 

No one said you need to wait until June.  In fact, if it is June and the team still does not have a commit, then I will admit remaining positive was not justified.

• Like 1

Here is latest list of transfers into the MAC per Verbalcommits.com.  Bowling Green seems to have had the most success bringing in transfers.   I also heard that Plowden plans to stick around another year.  They look to be improved over last year, despite losing Turner.  So my estimation is that they, along with Ohio will be teams that we will be competing with.

image.png.b994437632aa0301d063f9689ddf7c84.png

38 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Anyone care to explain what in the heck this even means?

A lot of possibilities 

Ranging from current players, to media to talent agencies

Basically I'm guessing coaches delegated to others (and not always to staff) to go through the mass number of transfer portal players and get potential recruits to them 

43 minutes ago, Bill said:

Honestly this is awesome for him. Probably wasn’t even looked at by South Carolina while playing high school in their state

I dont know if its just me, but he isnt an SEC player. I watched a few North Texas games this year. He is good but I cannot imagine him getting a lot of minutes there unless South Carolina is just really bad.