Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

54 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

This should be a rule of the forums. 

I will try to abide by that.   😉  For the record, my actions are spurred by excitement for the potential of the team and desire to see them add more depth at guard.  I am a little more hopeful when a player who could be a potential contributor becomes available and sharing to board is my way of sharing that increased optimism.  However, at this point I hope they have been working on options for a few weeks, hopefully bearing fruit in next week or so. 

On 6/2/2021 at 7:56 AM, DocCas86 said:

I will try to abide by that.   😉  For the record, my actions are spurred by excitement for the potential of the team and desire to see them add more depth at guard.  I am a little more hopeful when a player who could be a potential contributor becomes available and sharing to board is my way of sharing that increased optimism.  However, at this point I hope they have been working on options for a few weeks, hopefully bearing fruit in next week or so. 

Just looking around the MAC have noticed Central Michigan has picked up a several experienced transfers whic h should make them an interesting team to watch ... And Kent State as usual picks up some interesting guys late; one from Rhodes Island, one from Georgia and one from Vanderbilt. two were rotational players (RI, Ga.) while the other had more splinters than points/rebounds combined.

11 hours ago, Slim said:

Just looking around the MAC have noticed Central Michigan has picked up a several experienced transfers whic h should make them an interesting team to watch ... And Kent State as usual picks up some interesting guys late; one from Rhodes Island, one from Georgia and one from Vanderbilt. two were rotational players (RI, Ga.) while the other had more splinters than points/rebounds combined.

554680117_2021TransferstoMAC.JPG.f4ce3b72e91e8565ab744344d6d81fa4.JPG

This is a summary of the 34 transfers to MAC teams.  Projections of minutes and scoring from barttorvik.com and there are some imperfections, I.e Jason Carter only 4.1 ppg after scoring 5.5 at Xavier and double digits his first time with Ohio.   BG, CMU and Kent are going to be relying heavily on transfers in upcoming season.  Each of these teams may start slow but could gel in March.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Good pickup for them, not sure if he will be able to carry them though. They don’t have much depth. That PF they got from Siena may be interesting, was not highly recruited out of HS but played well in the MAAC

2 hours ago, Dabulls said:

Good pickup for them, not sure if he will be able to carry them though. They don’t have much depth. That PF they got from Siena may be interesting, was not highly recruited out of HS but played well in the MAAC

Agree don't expect him to carry them, but seems like good build for future.

I believe the Bull's roster is set for upcoming season, such that it would be difficult to find playing time for any additional players who are immediately eligible to play this year.  However, I was looking at NCAA rules and if a player has transferred once already - they are not immediately eligible for this season.

The Council expanded the one-time transfer exception to all sports, which means student-athletes who play baseball, football, men’s and women’s basketball, and men’s ice hockey have the same chance as all other student-athletes to transfer and play right away. If ratified by the board, the change is effective for student-athletes who have not transferred before and want to compete at a new school as early as this fall.

Not sure what talent is in the portal still who falls into this category, but know that we have a couple open scholarships, is it possible that we get another player who would red-shirt this year and be eligible for the following season.  It would be nice to have a experienced player available for the 22-23 season, especially given expected graduations of Williams, Mballa and Segu.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I believe the Bull's roster is set for upcoming season, such that it would be difficult to find playing time for any additional players who are immediately eligible to play this year.  However, I was looking at NCAA rules and if a player has transferred once already - they are not immediately eligible for this season.

The Council expanded the one-time transfer exception to all sports, which means student-athletes who play baseball, football, men’s and women’s basketball, and men’s ice hockey have the same chance as all other student-athletes to transfer and play right away. If ratified by the board, the change is effective for student-athletes who have not transferred before and want to compete at a new school as early as this fall.

Not sure what talent is in the portal still who falls into this category, but know that we have a couple open scholarships, is it possible that we get another player who would red-shirt this year and be eligible for the following season.  It would be nice to have a experienced player available for the 22-23 season, especially given expected graduations of Williams, Mballa and Segu.

That’s the rub, do you use some scholarships now on experienced players that may be waiting a year (and finding kids to buy into that) or next year you have 5 scholarships for freshmen and transfers. I think if there is some talent they think blends with the group and can wait a year, grab them and start practicing, but if not, wait and find the right fit. Not a bad position to be in either way. We can be choosy.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

That’s the rub, do you use some scholarships now on experienced players that may be waiting a year (and finding kids to buy into that) or next year you have 5 scholarships for freshmen and transfers. I think if there is some talent they think blends with the group and can wait a year, grab them and start practicing, but if not, wait and find the right fit. Not a bad position to be in either way. We can be choosy.

Frankly ... every MAC team should be thinking like this. Any opportunity to add 'upper crust' talent to the league should be taken advantage of.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UBinMD said:

You made me think a bit more, and thinking a) not much available in portal b) we will know more about the young talent after the next season and c) we can address any needs at start of next year's transfer portal.  But as you said, we are in a position to be choosy.

On 6/24/2021 at 8:06 AM, UBinMD said:

I was admonished for doing this, but can't help myself...would this be representative of being choosy - adding Tareq Coburn?  That would be a great starting five...

325270293_Screenshot_20210626-1232332.thumb.png.f2fafe61ecd05d1d2172835dc38a9e54.png

2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

My apologies, it wasn’t personal.  It might be related to the heat.  I might be a real jerk on monday. 

Please... it would take a lot more to offend me.  I guess in a way, I am trying to stir up some chatter in here for upcoming season.  I am anxious to start the season and see how all the new players will play.  We lost a very good player in Graves, but added so much, we are a deeper team than last year.  For example, if Jack plays at the level of his SO / JR  years, with an eFG% of 50.7% / 11.6 PPG then we have a very strong starting 5 and I should stop suggesting other players in portal (I know I should stop that anyway).  Perry and Brewton have shot well in the past - so I hope they can be solid contributors as well.  What are people expecting from Jones - seems like he gives us solid depth behind Segu.  How much does Skogman improve this year, and what contributions do they get from the FR players.  I see a lot of potential upside with this team and can't wait for the season to start. 

Also, remind me not to make any comments on Monday - don't want to give you any excuses to 'be a jerk' 😝

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pumped for the year ahead! Honestly I don’t see the freshmen getting much PT at all and maybe even redshirts. BUT, imagine if the big 3 can take us all the way back to the NCAA, and we can somehow get JW and RS back for one more? We’ll still have a lot of pieces to replace so the next recruiting class could really set the tone coming off a successful year.  Summer is the time to dream, right?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Looks like Malik Zachery is joining Savion Gallion at South Plains College

Hopefully he is able to put everything from past year behind him and make the most of new start.

I wish the best for both of them. Nobody's life should be defined by what happens before they are even 21. Go get em boys and become the best men you can be.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:13 PM, Tee4three said:

Ub I would assume isn't one of those schools avoiding it. As now ub should have higher goals of an at large(at least bubble watch team) and getting ranked. Which to achieve you need power conference games to do.

But it definetly makes sense for a lot of schools who really go after a conference title in their respective conferences once every 3 or 4 years

I agree. Besides, until further notice I'm going to assume the new transfer rules will at least approach a "zero sum game", in that power teams will poach mid-major talent but at the same time talented players on the power teams who rarely play will sign on with the mid-majors. Well, that's my hope at least.

2 hours ago, DoctorBe said:

I agree. Besides, until further notice I'm going to assume the new transfer rules will at least approach a "zero sum game", in that power teams will poach mid-major talent but at the same time talented players on the power teams who rarely play will sign on with the mid-majors. Well, that's my hope at least.

See Josh Mballa, players like him can benefit in the other direction. Especially bigs.