Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

10 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Not if Rollins and/or Milner add their name to portal - If Kowalczyk is able to keep the team together for one more year, you are correct.

Rollins has gotten some draft buzz, wouldn't be shocked if he at least tested the waters. 

13 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

smh...just smh

And everyone drools over their coach, but still gets bit by the portal. Unless the coach is headed somewhere and it hasn’t been announced. This is the first real “post Covid” year so everyone that thinks they are better than their current situation are casting lines.

10 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

And everyone drools over their coach, but still gets bit by the portal. Unless the coach is headed somewhere and it hasn’t been announced. This is the first real “post Covid” year so everyone that thinks they are better than their current situation are casting lines.

This is the reality of the MAC, basically just a feeder system to bigger conferences. On the flip we will see players from large programs transfer down. Hopefully UB jumps on a couple of those players, we are going to need them.

19 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Their coach is a high level recruiter. They just got the highest recruit in their history this year. It's not as big of a loss when you can fill in for losses. Losses aren't the problem. 

https://247sports.com/college/ohio/Season/2022-Basketball/Commits/

9 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Their coach is a high level recruiter. They just got the highest recruit in their history this year. It's not as big of a loss when you can fill in for losses. Losses aren't the problem. 

https://247sports.com/college/ohio/Season/2022-Basketball/Commits/

You can have all the recruits you want, but you have to put it together. Team chemistry is actually a thing and if these kids just want to put up numbers to attract the next opportunity, it doesn’t do much. If winning 20-22 games a year but no championship or NCAA berth is enough, I guess that’s fine. For as disappointing as our season was, Toledo and Ohio fell on their ass too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Vander Plas in the portal too. Would have been his 5th year, good recruiting or not that's still their clear top 3 from last year gone.

27 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

The hits keep coming.

This makes a total of four Akron players and 33 for the MAC in total.

They made the Big Dance!! They are big time now!! Lots of chirping in their ears about bigger and better.

I guess we are lucky to only have 1 and he even kept a leg in our camp.

Absolute insanity. I'm pretty sure this is exactly what the NCAA wanted.

Just now, UBinMD said:

They made the Big Dance!! They are big time now!! Lots of chirping in their ears about bigger and better.

Sorry, I forgot about Fagan, but he's a grad and has put in 5 years. I don't really hold it against him.

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Sorry, I forgot about Fagan, but he's a grad and has put in 5 years. I don't really hold it against him.

Agree. I said this in another thread about grad transfers using Fagan as an example. 

Bandaogo has a lot of raw potential. I actually think he’s transferring too soon. 

48 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

This is not what the NCAA wanted.  The NCAA would have preferred to keep the old system.  The end of the old system and the NIL things came about because the NCAA wanted to keep the rights to NIL rights forever.  That got bad legal advice in the O'Bannon  case where he was seeking money when he was put on a UCLA legacy team in EA Sports NCAA basketball game.

The same issue occurred when EA Sports started to use retired NFL players an they sued.  That case went away quickly when they agreed to pay the retried players.  The NCAA should have just said fine, work out deals with the former players.  That would have prevented the Alston case from being filed on the heels of the NCAA losing O'Bannon and the insanity that goes on now.

Only 1026 men's basketball players in the portal as of noon today. That's approximately 3 per school in D1. By that math, over 4 years, that's a full 12 man roster turnover without anyone finishing where they started, if this trend continues year in and year out. It's not even April yet, many more will be added before summer. Might get to 4+ per school.

7 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Only 1026 men's basketball players in the portal as of noon today. That's approximately 3 per school in D1. By that math, over 4 years, that's a full 12 man roster turnover without anyone finishing where they started, if this trend continues year in and year out. It's not even April yet, many more will be added before summer. Might get to 4+ per school.

Crazy, crazy stat!! Do we think the majority of these players are going to find a college that will offer them a scholarship to play and what happens if these players don’t find a better opportunity?? Correct me but I read where the college where a player was on if they decide to exit the portal and go back to their team the college does not have to give them their scholarship back?? I know this is a mess with many culprits but how I wonder how many colleges will decide to say no on scholarships. 

5 minutes ago, John said:

Crazy, crazy stat!! Do we think the majority of these players are going to find a college that will offer them a scholarship to play and what happens if these players don’t find a better opportunity?? Correct me but I read where the college where a player was on if they decide to exit the portal and go back to their team the college does not have to give them their scholarship back?? I know this is a mess with many culprits but how I wonder how many colleges will decide to say no on scholarships. 

Probably not many

40 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

This is not what the NCAA wanted.  The NCAA would have preferred to keep the old system.  The end of the old system and the NIL things came about because the NCAA wanted to keep the rights to NIL rights forever.  That got bad legal advice in the O'Bannon  case where he was seeking money when he was put on a UCLA legacy team in EA Sports NCAA basketball game.

The same issue occurred when EA Sports started to use retired NFL players an they sued.  That case went away quickly when they agreed to pay the retried players.  The NCAA should have just said fine, work out deals with the former players.  That would have prevented the Alston case from being filed on the heels of the NCAA losing O'Bannon and the insanity that goes on now.

100% agree with this.  There's absolutely no way this is what the NCAA wanted, they wanted the monopoly over student athletes, or at least the veneer of it.

All of that said, I completely encourage players to test the portal waters if they'd like to, and know what they're getting into.  It's a complete game-changer for college athletics, and certainly causes fans of mid-majors to recalibrate their expectations, but it's in the best interests of the players, and that's what matters, IMO.

The best interest of the players is to constantly think about skipping town bc of what persons of varying expertise put into their ear? Sounds great.

Yes, a percentage go about the process with sound logic and thorough insight but I'm willing to guess that number is south of 50% Hey, they're just kids right?  

22 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

100% agree with this.  There's absolutely no way this is what the NCAA wanted, they wanted the monopoly over student athletes, or at least the veneer of it.

All of that said, I completely encourage players to test the portal waters if they'd like to, and know what they're getting into.  It's a complete game-changer for college athletics, and certainly causes fans of mid-majors to recalibrate their expectations, but it's in the best interests of the players, and that's what matters, IMO.

Agree they can test the waters but do they really know what they are getting into?? Only time will tell and it will be interesting after all this if we can get all the facts about where all these players ended up and how the outcome will be for both the players and colleges. What about the interests of fans?? There are more people who will be turned off by this entire mess of what we used to call college athletics. There will still be thousands and millions still following the game and enjoying the sport but naive to think there are not millions that have been turned off at what college sports have become  and pro sports at sometimes its best but also at its worst. 

13 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

The best interest of the players is to constantly think about skipping town bc of what persons of varying expertise put into their ear? Sounds great.

Yes, a percentage go about the process with sound logic and thorough insight but I'm willing to guess that number is south of 50% Hey, they're just kids right?  

I think that all of that can be said about kids when they first go through the recruiting process too, so I don't understand how then making them spend 4 years wherever they first went is a better solution.  At least they're 1+ year older and have an idea of what they did/didn't like in their last school.