Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

57 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

This is a great comment on the transfer portal and what many athletes want these days.  I do disagree with Geno on his not losing any top players.  He did lose Elena Delle Donne, but that was because of family issues for her.

It’s nice to hear that coming out of the mouth of someone at his level. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t get advice from people at his level, open and honest. They get info from their AAU coach, uncle, a playground legend or someone that hasn’t competed at the highest level so they pump them up into something they are not and then the harsh reality sets in.

I think it’s easy for Geno to say this considering he has a monopoly on the sport and gets the best recruits out of high school. But if you’re against the portal you’re essentially against player rights. Which could doom a coach. Which is why guys like Roy Williams retired. 

This thought is independent of my own views on the portal

Edited by DooleyBull06

"Those 850 players in the portal? 300 of them are not going to find a school to go to"

I've heard similar sentiments and I've had a hard time understanding the math. In what is essentially a game of musical chairs that starts with the same number of players and chairs, where are the "300" new players who are bumping out the former players coming from? 300 additional new freshmen on top of regular recruiting? JUCOs? Does this mean that there are 300 players that coaches would like to cut and replace but are honoring their scholarships anyways? Is it something to do with the covid years and scholarships?

Maybe my brain is just a big foggy from enjoying the most epic collapse in championship game history last night, but help me out here...

Coaches are saving scholarships "just in case" for transfers

Men have 13 scholarships, and really only 10 guys getting playing time, in the past I could give 3 walk-on's scholarships or take a chance on a freshman.

Now I might want to just let those 3 scholarship sit on the shelf, just in case someone talented is interested in transferring.

So coaches are artificially creating the scarcity, then citing the scarcity as the reason why the players are wrong.

I believe anyone using a COVID year counts now as a person on the roster. As far as the portal goes…it’s all new and exciting. Whereas in years past, transfer use to have a stigma. Oh you are a transfer, you are not a team player.  Players currently are over estimating their value and getting lots of ppl talking in their ears and coaches are manipulating roster balance. It’s all an experiment that is gonna take a few years to get organized. But it is modern day free agency in college sports. 

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

One time recruit hitting the portal. He’s def looking to transfer up. 

A couple of excerpts from a Seattle Times Article:

Noah Williams, once considered a fast-rising name in the Pac-12 and perhaps the best player on the WSU men’s basketball roster, has entered the transfer portal after an underwhelming third season in which his role and productivity diminished.

Expected to contend for an All-Pac-12 nod ahead of this season, Williams underperformed. He averaged 9.5 points on just 33.2% from the field and 26.2% from deep, adding 3.1 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.1 steals per game – all lower totals than his sophomore year, his shooting percentages especially.

Sounds like the hype got to him and with him trying to take the next step to be “the man” may have hurt his progression. Maybe a better program will take him thinking he will return to form under different leadership.

23 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

This is a great comment on the transfer portal and what many athletes want these days.  I do disagree with Geno on his not losing any top players.  He did lose Elena Delle Donne, but that was because of family issues for her.

Sounds real, appreciate the sentiment. But like someone said, it’s hard to take seriously when you get all the top talent and most likely will not lose any (or many) players to the portal over long run. It’s nice to be the top program in the country for decades straight.

2 hours ago, UBminicre said:

Sounds real, appreciate the sentiment. But like someone said, it’s hard to take seriously when you get all the top talent and most likely will not lose any (or many) players to the portal over long run. It’s nice to be the top program in the country for decades straight.

He built that, so I begrudge him nothing, similar to Coach K at Duke and Mark Few at Gonzaga. They committed to going somewhere and planting their flag and built an empire. You don't see that much anymore. Everyone just jumps from place to place for more money, better facilities, whatever instead of staying in one place and building. Nate could have done that here, but that would have needed a commitment from the University, which likely didn't happen. It also takes time.

I am not a Duke fan and typically root against them, but they were not a juggernaut prior to his arrival, they had 7 NCAA Tournament appearances (Starting in 1955), 10 Conference Tournament Championships (Starting in 1938), 10 Regular Season Conference Championships. Their 5 Tournament Championships and 4 runner-ups were all under Coach K (they had 2 runner-ups and 4 Final Fours prior to his arrival). There was definitely some tradition before his arrival, but he took it to the next Level. He made it to the Final 4 in 31% of the years he coached. Pretty special.

Was hoping FLJ might stay and try to do that. Not sure if we will ever find anyone in MBB to stick that long. Just saying it would be nice if we had someone with that vision and willingness to sacrifice some in the short term to create that atmosphere and environment. If we could get to a $500k-$1million annual salary/other benefits package, that goes a long way in Buffalo.

End of Rant...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Jaylen Butz dealt with a foot injury last year.  Averaged 10.1 points and 5.4 rebounds at Depaul before he transferred to WKU last year.  Could be a nice add if he recovered enough from foot injury.

Edited by DocCas86

On 3/31/2022 at 1:31 PM, TML1000 said:

I do not think they should be "locked in" to four years at a given school/team, but their needs to be some middle ground. How many chances does one get to "get it right."

One free transfer, ok, I can live with that. Some switching 3 or more times? There has to be a caveat.

These “kids” are no younger than many professional athletes in the NHL, MLB, professional rugby, etc. who are under contract. There are penalties for leaving those organizations while under contract. NCAA D1 basketball isn’t that removed from pro sports, especially now that NCAA has allowed athletes (I’ve mothballed the term “student-athlete”) to cash in on their “name, image and likeness”. I’m in favor of some control over college “unrestricted free agency”.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 1975 said:

There are penalties for leaving those organizations while under contract. NCAA D1 basketball isn’t that removed from pro sports, especially now that NCAA has allowed athletes (I’ve mothballed the term “student-athlete”) to cash in on their “name, image and likeness”

Major difference being that the student-athletes literally are not under any form of long term contract.  Being able to make $100 from a business for an Instagram post does not make these kids professional athletes and you can't just choose to ignore that because you're upset

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Major difference being that the student-athletes literally are not under any form of long term contract.  Being able to make $100 from a business for an Instagram post does not make these kids professional athletes and you can't just choose to ignore that because you're upset

There is no limit to what they can make, they just need to be good at marketing themselves or be elite. Go sell yourself! That’s what Ed O’Bannon said. The NCAA is making money off all the images, etc. so the kids should get their cut. The main problem is they aren’t out there selling themselves. Prediction: the next big business will be like mini-agents that will be marketing groups targeting college players and selling them to local car washes, sub shops, pizza joints, etc

the problem is, businesses only want a star or two with name recognition. The 10th guy on the Bench won’t even get a free lunch.

17 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Yes, but a scholarship at a D1 university is not without value. That is a “contract”, albeit one that is not long term. There’s probably some middle ground that would provide players a reasonable amount of mobility while at the same time provide the sports program/coach some increase in continuity. 

14 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

James Rojas in the transfer portal. I wonder if the one time UB commit would want to finish his career closer to home? 

Played a 13.5 minutes a game for Oats - think he would do well in the MAC.  Definitely seems worth reaching out to him.