Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

On 4/26/2022 at 6:20 PM, Chet said:

but they spend zero time on social media 

This is a serious issue. The whole business is shifting into the Social Media world and with all of these transfers we are going to need to step it up on that front. Just look at the difference between our new women's coach vs the men's side. She is all over Twitter and our men's coach hasn't posted in like a year... 

Can someone create a look at our roster next year for the Men's team with the new recruits? Like, how many openings do we still have since 90% of our team is gone? It seems very active on the women's side but a bit light on the men's.

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Can someone create a look at our roster next year for the Men's team with the new recruits?

image.thumb.png.afc8978bcb2e93410d826915eea8a526.png

My assumptions here are that Yazid Powell will definitely be playing his "COVID year" but he is technically entering his 4th year of eligibility, and that Williamson and Mading will be getting medical redshirts

Edited by trueblue32
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UBinMD said:

So Bona pays a giant raise to keep their coach, now 4 of their 5 starters are in the portal. Quite an offseason. Sounds like back the ma middle of the pack program.

We aren’t the only ones being gutted, transfer portal rules and the NIL are going to hurt mid majors. On the flip side we will see power school players transfer down for more playing time and JUCO players are always there. It’s a free for all out there

Edited by Dabulls

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

I find it fascinating that just because the coach doesn’t meet you where you choose to hang out automatically means nothing is getting done. Btw - most of the recruits spend a majority of their time on IG and TikTok. Twitter is much more for us old heads 

Nobody said anything about "nothing getting done". We're saying our coaching staff has no obvious presence in social media and that includes Instagram (unsure about TikTok). Our IG account has 843 followers vs Ohio (9,176), Akron (6,963), and even EMU (4,092). If you would like to provide facts that show otherwise, please do so instead of just complaining about our view. 

26 minutes ago, clodney said:

Nobody said anything about "nothing getting done". We're saying our coaching staff has no obvious presence in social media and that includes Instagram (unsure about TikTok). Our IG account has 843 followers vs Ohio (9,176), Akron (6,963), and even EMU (4,092). If you would like to provide facts that show otherwise, please do so instead of just complaining about our view. 

I agree that we need to enhance our presence on social media, be more visible in our recruiting efforts, etc. But the men's hoops IG account has 3,364 followers, not sure where 843 came from. Still should be better.

4 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I agree that we need to enhance our presence on social media, be more visible in our recruiting efforts, etc. But the men's hoops IG account has 3,364 followers, not sure where 843 came from. Still should be better.

I believe the NCAA is already looking at what is going on at Miami.

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

My fault! I was on the wrong one that had "Buffalo" instead of "UB". Still, how are we behind EMU and like 1/3rd of Ohio? 

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I somehow wonder if the NCAA even had a clue that the NIL would turn out to be like this. I guess another case of the NCAA not having a clue of what this is all about. Another case of all the millionaires really only caring about their fortunes. Unless someone comes up with an intelligent and common sense answer college sports will go the way of pro sports. Fortunes to be made and no middle ground when it comes to the fan who does not have the money to attend events or buy merchandise. They will alienate the may fans like our family and will lose younger fans from families that will not follow or support sports teams. We will find better avenues for our money and entertainment. Again there will be many that will continue to follow and support sports but there will be many of us that will be lost for the rest of our lifetimes. Just a sad commentary in the life of what sports have become.

Problem is “The NCAA” is an association. Collectively the schools make the rules. They don’t have a commissioner or similar type person tasked with making and enforcing the rules for the good of the whole. A lot of people get pissed at the NCAA as if they are tasked with making the rules, but that’s not how it works….tragically. 

8 hours ago, UBinMD said:

2 years in and the implosion is already underway. If anyone thought this was NOT going to happen is very naive. It happen a it quicker than I thought to get to this point.

I mostly put that gif in as a joke, but it’s interesting that you say that considering NIL didn’t exist back in Cam Newton’s days. SEC bagmen still existed though. 

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

All NIL does is bring out into the open what’s been going on for decades. Boosters have been paying players. As constituted currently, it’s “legal”. Anyone remember the movie Blue Chips?

Yep, no doubt that was based on reality. 

26 minutes ago, rma said:

I mostly put that gif in as a joke, but it’s interesting that you say that considering NIL didn’t exist back in Cam Newton’s days. SEC bagmen still existed though. 

But now that it’s “legal” those fringe players with a bit of a conscience may have stayed straight. Now it’s a free for all. Throw agents and others in the mix is like introducing lawyers to any situation so it will all be gray areas, rule bending, arm twisting, etc. It’s just going to deep through the whole system down to one good player on the 350th ranked team. Sports are just going to be a business which I guess already happened but this feels worse and dirtier. 

3 hours ago, bulls2684 said:

Ty Perry signed with D2 New Haven College

Here’s another player that just wants to go to a school where he can play some meaningful minutes and get his education. It is crazy how there is no mention of an education or degree for any of these players. The sad part is there will probably be a great number of these players that won’t even have a scholarship to fall back on when trying to transfer. Is it going to be a real life learning experience for many of these kids?? Time will tell and will be interesting to see all the facts about how many of these kids in the transfer portal actually find new schools and teams to go to. The big question is are we going to get the honest facts or are things going to be sugar coated to the general public. College sports is now a business just like pro sports.

19 minutes ago, John said:

… It is crazy how there is no mention of an education or degree for any of these players. … 

At UB, Skogman was in an Accounting program.  Davidson does not have an accounting major.  Perhaps David decided to pursue other studies, but he did have a 3.5 gpa, so I’m guessing he liked the field of study.