Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

12 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

You go to college in order to get prepared for getting a job. That was part of my point. I still don't understand how changing schools year after year allows for "students" to accrue credits, as certainly some classes don't transfer, especially after yearly school changes.

It is really different. When I was in school, transferring any credits was a huge ordeal. I took a couple of summer classes (Gen Eds) at another SUNY school and they barely transferred. Now it’s really more of a free market society and you can just come and go. It’s mind boggling to me especially the last couple years when I was doing my “real classes”. Changing then would have been massively disruptive. I did engineering so maybe other program after different in that, not really sure.

As for changing jobs, it’s like free agency out there for some things. You can get major salary bumps and perk bumps by moving to a new company and doing much the same work. If you stay with most companies you get your annual pay on the head and 3% raise. I’ve been with companies that pay a new person coming in more than current employees at the same position (much like football and baseball). Nutty scenario that I have personally benefited from recently.

it’s just a different world.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

You go to college in order to get prepared for getting a job. That was part of my point. I still don't understand how changing schools year after year allows for "students" to accrue credits, as certainly some classes don't transfer, especially after yearly school changes.

I’d have to believe many don’t care. Just as long as they’re eligible. It’s amazing how many think they’re going to get paid somewhere in the world to play. 

2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

If an ‘athlete’ takes their extra Covid year of eligibility, then there is also extra time for that ‘student’ to make up the non-transferable credits lost when changing schools. 

Many also take classes over the summer. The hand wringing over kids’ graduation status is hilarious. Nobody has any insight into their situation at all. They’re playing pin the tail on the donkey to try to find an excuse to justify why it’s less fun for them or whatever.

The past couple years have been a huge confluence of events including a pandemic + an extra year of eligibility + the new frontier of NIL + the new one-time waiver. Over the next couple of years, kids with COVID eligibility will be gone, extenuating circumstances due to the pandemic will subside (hopefully), kids will be aware of what types of NIL deals are out there before looking to transfer (or even committing as a high schooler), and coaches will have changed their roster building strategy. I don’t see anyway that this wave of transferring doesn’t significantly slow down over coming years. As in all things water finds it’s level

Edited by trueblue32

9 hours ago, skrabukes said:

So you leave your job every year and get a new one? I must be doing something very wrong then.

If you want to get paid more you probably are. Companies offer new hires more than when they internally promote someone. 

Obviously money isn’t everything so there are more factors to consider than that. 

Ohio just landed another decent transfer, Devon Baker out of Tulane. Scored only 6 ppg last year but averaged 16 ppg on 43% shooting and 34% 3-pt shooting at UNC Asheville. Would imagine he'll be one of their primary scorers.

With their three incoming transfers and strong HS class, you'd have to imagine they'll be near the top of the MAC again next year.

image.thumb.png.71f6c27534b2186e40e5f39b9552f315.png

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

On 5/19/2022 at 8:04 AM, trueblue32 said:

…to try to find an excuse to justify why it’s less fun for them …

You clearly understand what I was thinking.  But I definitely see both sides of the coin.  Sure it sucks for Bulls fans because we’re not used to it.  But, Blue Bloods have done this for years.  Why not think of it like; we’ve finally made it to the big time!

On 5/19/2022 at 5:59 PM, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Ohio just landed …  you'd have to imagine they'll be near the top of the MAC again next year

Noooo, I just don’t wanna do that. 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:34 AM, skrabukes said:

So you leave your job every year and get a new one? I must be doing something very wrong then.

Me personally, no. But I have many peers that do it every year or two and make a boatload of money doing so. In the tech industry (SWE) this is very common practice. 

10 hours ago, rma said:

Me personally, no. But I have many peers that do it every year or two and make a boatload of money doing so. In the tech industry (SWE) this is very common practice. 

RE: tech industry.
Some people were laid off for a year, and hired back by the same company with a raise.  That must be infuriating for the previous employees who retained continuous employment.  

How does that apply to UB Sports: It might not

12 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Does that help, or hurt, the locker room ?

I think it’s fine. These kids know realize everyone comes and goes. Just introduce yourself to you teammates and play ball. Kinda like Y pickup basketball with better players.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ub2019 said:

Tough break for Skogman. 

Them are the breaks! Green grass or is it just spray painted? You never know.

At least he’s still going to have that great accounting department to get his degree…oh wait, they don’t have his major. I forgot 

Edited by UBinMD

5 hours ago, Tee4three said:

They are promoting his son, would assume that players/recruits at least had an idea this may happen soon

But who knows 

Is that like Homer Drew and his kids at Valpo? One would hope there were conversations with recruits, but as you say, who knows.

I am excited about the fact that I have no idea how this team is going to do. There's plenty of time to get down about them later.  I'm going in with zero expectations and willing to see what they're about.  It's going to take the first half of the season to get some flow going, some identity.  And that's to be expected.  Sure they might disappoint, but they just might be a lot of fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

I am excited about the fact that I have no idea how this team is going to do. There's plenty of time to get down about them later.  I'm going in with zero expectations and willing to see what they're about.  It's going to take the first half of the season to get some flow going, some identity.  And that's to be expected.  Sure they might disappoint, but they just might be a lot of fun.

If nothing else, I really do think the coaching staff brought in good talent. They question will be can they play as a unit and improve as an overall team with everyone thriving in whatever role they end up with to peak in Cleveland. I'm going in expecting some good games, some tough patches and I will root for them however it goes. This is the new normal and I'm embracing whatever it is to support UB!

• Like 2

I have no clue what to expect. So many new players. I can't remember a season like this with so much roster turnover.

CJ was such an important piece to the Bulls success under Oats. Great player and even better leader. Hopefully there is someone like CJ on this roster. His intangibles were off the chart. Confident, tough, hard working, smart and a great ball player wrapped in one. I hate to short change others on that team, but CJ was the ultimate competitor. Would be tremendous if we had that on this roster.

Hopefully these new players can be a good fit for the Bulls and vice versa. Time will tell.