Jump to content
Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal


John
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been a trying to keep current on data based on verbalcommits.com and numbers are slightly different.  Per their figures, 1,446 have entered the portal and 395 have committed somewhere as of my last pull.  Here is chart showing the progression.

image.png.ee553339cc6764dd022de746c93a3db7.png

Note that it is not exactly precise as I didn't capture exact date and sometimes verbalcommits does not get the commit info update timely, but about 27% of those entering portal have committed somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Good for Tra’von. Hope he finds a role on that team. Should hopefully compete for a conference title there and get back to the tourney. 

That’s not far from where I live. Maybe I can see a game or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Canisius lost Harried to Binghamton. Is that a step up, side step or something else?

For most, it's just change for the purpose of change. 30% of the D1 players changing schools, plus the graduating seniors equals close to 50% new rosters countrywide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

For most, it's just change for the purpose of change. 30% of the D1 players changing schools, plus the graduating seniors equals close to 50% new rosters countrywide.

I guess you get the thrill of being the shiny new penny for 15 minutes may way into it too.

at least Loren Christie is going to a cool city and a British kid would love to experience the west coast lifestyle I’m sure. Heading to Binghamton? That seems like a change for change sake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Welp the portal taketh… and hasn’t given us much just yet. Best of luck to him. Can’t imagine Whitesell not on the hot seat at the moment 

We've kind of gone through this "Whitesell on the hot seat" thoughts before.

He is not on the hot seat.  UB administration is happy that he costs them less than half of what Oats would have earned.  How does winning 10 games or 15 games or 20 games or 25 games move any needle on their budget?  It doesn't.  That the administration wasn't committed to becoming the "Gonzaga of the East" was clear when Oats left. 

The portal and ability not to sit out a year has allowed players to, once again, relive what it was like to be recruited out of HS.  I am sure it is an exciting time...talking to coaches...other players...having everyone tell you how great you are...how you will fit in and help lead the team to a conference championship...etc.   And now they get to do it again...this time with knowledge of what college is like, what college basketball is like, etc.  

If, every year, players get to "recalibrate" their value, we will have a reverse funnel system where the better players at the lower conferences get to jump up levels.  The only way for MAC teams (and similar) to survive in this environment will be to look at what is happening in the bottom third of the conferences and try to poach there from the portal.  

Whitesell did a great job of keeping the players already on the team in the fold when Oats left.  That is a fact and kudos to him.   We will have to see in October, when we have a good idea of UB's roster (and the rosters of the other MAC teams), where this all shakes out.   

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

Welp the portal taketh… and hasn’t given us much just yet. Best of luck to him. Can’t imagine Whitesell not on the hot seat at the moment 

Whitesell has lost any saving grace he thought he had with his ability to keep players. The real roster glue was Segu from what I was hearing. Also has this new recruiting coordinator done one thing since making the jump from JUCO? He scored some pretty bad players so far, the team's best hire was a guy who forged documents to get Mballa in the first place. 

The university took that Oats money, funneled it elsewhere, and is now okay with the definition of mediocrity and "20 wins is so hard to get" type of mentality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, clodney said:

If our only reason for keeping a coach is because he is less expensive then Buffalo basketball is dead.

They are stuck though. The AD gave him more money for no reason. They can't pay the 400k + new coaching salary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, clodney said:

If our only reason for keeping a coach is because he is less expensive then Buffalo basketball is dead.

Yep, I think a lot of us saw the cracks in the pavement a while ago but it’s more obvious now after what’s gone down during the past four months.

UB fans better pray these 3 star sophomores have some game and can elevate themselves to the recent standard established by this program or the Bulls could be in for a long year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Yep, I think a lot of us saw the cracks in the pavement a while ago but it’s more obvious now after what’s gone down during the past four months.

UB fans better pray these 3 star sophomores have some game and can elevate themselves to the recent standard established by this program or the Bulls could be in for a long year.

For a long future

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Why all the disappointment over mballa entering the portal?

Was anyone expecting him back? 

It is one thing that he was done playing college ball. Now he's "staying" but leaving.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Whitesell has lost any saving grace he thought he had with his ability to keep players. The real roster glue was Segu from what I was hearing. Also has this new recruiting coordinator done one thing since making the jump from JUCO? He scored some pretty bad players so far, the team's best hire was a guy who forged documents to get Mballa in the first place. 

The university took that Oats money, funneled it elsewhere, and is now okay with the definition of mediocrity and "20 wins is so hard to get" type of mentality.

The players he scored…on paper and recruiting wise actually seemed decent but didn’t pan out. Especially Brewton who was coastals second leading scorer and was receiving praise from Zion Williamson. I like the two transfers we have so far, Powell really took off recruiting wise after his decommit, heard Wichita State was after him hard as well. And Kanye Jones looks promising, new scenery could be beneficial for him. 
however, other MAC teams have been successful in the transfer portal and in hs recruits. At the moment we only have 1 HS commit and haven’t seen any action when it comes to interacting or offering any HS players. 
we still have time to build a team but is disappointing seeing other MAC schools grab great players at a higher rate than u

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

It is one thing that he was done playing college ball. Now he's "staying" but leaving.

Thats fair

Who knows might still turn pro either way, just won't be eligible for the draft if my understanding is correct 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...