Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

John

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I stand corrected, maybe he fell into a good situation 

My post was not to correct...could easily be the case that Ole Miss ends up similar to past year and not a tourney team.  I guess I see the value to Mballa is an opportunity to show what he has against SEC competition, and maybe some NIL benefits.  If he shows well in the SEC will help him more as he tries to go pro somewhere.  

26 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

My post was not to correct...could easily be the case that Ole Miss ends up similar to past year and not a tourney team.  I guess I see the value to Mballa is an opportunity to show what he has against SEC competition, and maybe some NIL benefits.  If he shows well in the SEC will help him more as he tries to go pro somewhere.  

I agree with that assessment. More upside than downside for Mballa, IMO. I also like that we are starting clean. It could be good, it could be catastrophic, who knows. I do think we have brought in good talent, the question is will the roster gel into a cohesive unit and can the coaching adapt to allow for a fun, free flowing offense, but perhaps put up a few more guardrails since our team is a bit younger and could benefit from some structure.

20 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I didn't know his nickname was Boogie!  Anyway returning to Ball St.

Seriously, how dumb has this system gotten? Guys leave, go elsewhere, then return. How many guys are in their 3rd+ school in 3-4 years? It's become pick up ball at the park. I can almost get behind a transfer for a variety of reasons. But this is just dumb at this point. I mean, I see it in local high school players too. Stan Weir was at 4 schools in 4 years (many years ago), Bradberry was at 4-5 schools in his career. When people are being taught that they should move around constantly, how are they being prepared to get a job and stay there for a period of time, or are they just going to work for a year and then leave then too? 

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Seriously, how dumb has this system gotten? Guys leave, go elsewhere, then return. How many guys are in their 3rd+ school in 3-4 years? It's become pick up ball at the park. I can almost get behind a transfer for a variety of reasons. But this is just dumb at this point. I mean, I see it in local high school players too. Stan Weir was at 4 schools in 4 years (many years ago), Bradberry was at 4-5 schools in his career. When people are being taught that they should move around constantly, how are they being prepared to get a job and stay there for a period of time, or are they just going to work for a year and then leave then too? 

And what about going to school?

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

or are they just going to work for a year and then leave then too? 

That’s how you make money, get promoted, and get real raises, so yes probably. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

And what about going to school?

You go to college in order to get prepared for getting a job. That was part of my point. I still don't understand how changing schools year after year allows for "students" to accrue credits, as certainly some classes don't transfer, especially after yearly school changes.

12 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

You go to college in order to get prepared for getting a job. That was part of my point. I still don't understand how changing schools year after year allows for "students" to accrue credits, as certainly some classes don't transfer, especially after yearly school changes.

It is really different. When I was in school, transferring any credits was a huge ordeal. I took a couple of summer classes (Gen Eds) at another SUNY school and they barely transferred. Now it’s really more of a free market society and you can just come and go. It’s mind boggling to me especially the last couple years when I was doing my “real classes”. Changing then would have been massively disruptive. I did engineering so maybe other program after different in that, not really sure.

As for changing jobs, it’s like free agency out there for some things. You can get major salary bumps and perk bumps by moving to a new company and doing much the same work. If you stay with most companies you get your annual pay on the head and 3% raise. I’ve been with companies that pay a new person coming in more than current employees at the same position (much like football and baseball). Nutty scenario that I have personally benefited from recently.

it’s just a different world.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

I’d have to believe many don’t care. Just as long as they’re eligible. It’s amazing how many think they’re going to get paid somewhere in the world to play. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

If an ‘athlete’ takes their extra Covid year of eligibility, then there is also extra time for that ‘student’ to make up the non-transferable credits lost when changing schools. 

Many also take classes over the summer. The hand wringing over kids’ graduation status is hilarious. Nobody has any insight into their situation at all. They’re playing pin the tail on the donkey to try to find an excuse to justify why it’s less fun for them or whatever.

The past couple years have been a huge confluence of events including a pandemic + an extra year of eligibility + the new frontier of NIL + the new one-time waiver. Over the next couple of years, kids with COVID eligibility will be gone, extenuating circumstances due to the pandemic will subside (hopefully), kids will be aware of what types of NIL deals are out there before looking to transfer (or even committing as a high schooler), and coaches will have changed their roster building strategy. I don’t see anyway that this wave of transferring doesn’t significantly slow down over coming years. As in all things water finds it’s level

Edited by trueblue32

14 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Seriously, how dumb has this system gotten? Guys leave, go elsewhere, then return. How many guys are in their 3rd+ school in 3-4 years? 

His coach at Missouri got fired. How many schools are on their 3rd+ coach in 3-4 years?

9 hours ago, skrabukes said:

So you leave your job every year and get a new one? I must be doing something very wrong then.

If you want to get paid more you probably are. Companies offer new hires more than when they internally promote someone. 

Obviously money isn’t everything so there are more factors to consider than that. 

Posted (edited)

Ohio just landed another decent transfer, Devon Baker out of Tulane. Scored only 6 ppg last year but averaged 16 ppg on 43% shooting and 34% 3-pt shooting at UNC Asheville. Would imagine he'll be one of their primary scorers.

With their three incoming transfers and strong HS class, you'd have to imagine they'll be near the top of the MAC again next year.

image.thumb.png.71f6c27534b2186e40e5f39b9552f315.png

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

On 5/19/2022 at 8:04 AM, trueblue32 said:

…to try to find an excuse to justify why it’s less fun for them …

You clearly understand what I was thinking.  But I definitely see both sides of the coin.  Sure it sucks for Bulls fans because we’re not used to it.  But, Blue Bloods have done this for years.  Why not think of it like; we’ve finally made it to the big time!

On 5/19/2022 at 5:59 PM, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Ohio just landed …  you'd have to imagine they'll be near the top of the MAC again next year

Noooo, I just don’t wanna do that. 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:34 AM, skrabukes said:

So you leave your job every year and get a new one? I must be doing something very wrong then.

Me personally, no. But I have many peers that do it every year or two and make a boatload of money doing so. In the tech industry (SWE) this is very common practice. 

10 hours ago, rma said:

Me personally, no. But I have many peers that do it every year or two and make a boatload of money doing so. In the tech industry (SWE) this is very common practice. 

RE: tech industry.
Some people were laid off for a year, and hired back by the same company with a raise.  That must be infuriating for the previous employees who retained continuous employment.  

How does that apply to UB Sports: It might not

12 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Does that help, or hurt, the locker room ?

I think it’s fine. These kids know realize everyone comes and goes. Just introduce yourself to you teammates and play ball. Kinda like Y pickup basketball with better players.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ub2019 said:

Tough break for Skogman. 

Them are the breaks! Green grass or is it just spray painted? You never know.

At least he’s still going to have that great accounting department to get his degree…oh wait, they don’t have his major. I forgot 

Edited by UBinMD

5 hours ago, Tee4three said:

They are promoting his son, would assume that players/recruits at least had an idea this may happen soon

But who knows 

Is that like Homer Drew and his kids at Valpo? One would hope there were conversations with recruits, but as you say, who knows.