Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2020-21 Schedule

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this belongs here (and if anyone will find it interesting - but I hope) - but took a look at the relationship in the MAC between experience level and conference win percentage since 2013 season.  Here are two charts, the one on the left is the entire MAC with Buffalo highlighted in blue.  The chart on the right is Buffalo's result by itself.

image.thumb.png.8f8ca5b2bd28c55c2283541e8dbf5f75.png

Some observations - the R-squared on Buffalo chart shows that there is some correlation between team experience and win pct.   However, other variables, like the coach, players and quality of the other MAC teams (as well as other factors) would account for differences in performance.  The main take away from the chart on the left - shows how Buffalo has been one of the top performers in the MAC (which I know I did not need to do the chart to tell you).  Given the current makeup of the team - it is looking like experience level will be around 2.80-2.90 (from Barttorvik estimates which do not factor in Malik - but I don't expect that to change average much).   Given that experience level - the high bar was set by Oats in 2017-18 year with 15-3 record (0.833 win percent.    Again this is not the only variable that should be considered, but I think 14/15 wins out of 20 would be in line with past performance.  Hoping that there is a season to find out.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Makes you wonder if the school know something about the 2020 Paradise Jam.  I do not think either school would want to play each other twice within two weeks.  Even if the schools are on opposite sides of the bracket they could meet in the Championship or 7th place game on November 23.

1 hour ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

A New Hampshire fan on the America East forum posted we are hosting UNH, a buy game. No date indicated.

FWIW, bartorvik.com has UNH ranked at 210.  A game we should be favored, but should be an entertaining matchup.  Similar quality opponent to Dartmouth and W&M from last season.  

• 3 months later...

Curiousity is getting the better of me; so trying to get any rumors about potential non-conference games.  I came up empty in that regard, but did find this 'gem' from a Syracuse perspective:

'Buffalo - Those first four hypothetical games were fairly challenging, and so it’s safe to say from here on out, Syracuse basketball would have to have some easier games. While Buffalo isn’t the caliber of a UConn or Seton Hall, they would provide a decent mid-major challenge and would keep the ‘Cuse on their toes.  The Bulls actually beat the Orange two years back (again, another game I really wish I didn’t attend), during a year in which Buffalo couldn’t seem to lose. They’ve lost some key pieces since then, including Nate Oats. But if Oats could do that tremendous job after replacing Bobby Hurley,  current Buffalo coach, Lance Leipold, has some of the right keys in his hand already.

Sure, this isn’t the most eye-appealing matchup, but if it does happen, no one will be complaining.' 

Can anyone tell me when Leipold started doing double duty? Ha Ha!

34 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Curiousity is getting the better of me; so trying to get any rumors about potential non-conference games.  I came up empty in that regard, but did find this 'gem' from a Syracuse perspective:

'Buffalo - Those first four hypothetical games were fairly challenging, and so it’s safe to say from here on out, Syracuse basketball would have to have some easier games. While Buffalo isn’t the caliber of a UConn or Seton Hall, they would provide a decent mid-major challenge and would keep the ‘Cuse on their toes.  The Bulls actually beat the Orange two years back (again, another game I really wish I didn’t attend), during a year in which Buffalo couldn’t seem to lose. They’ve lost some key pieces since then, including Nate Oats. But if Oats could do that tremendous job after replacing Bobby Hurley,  current Buffalo coach, Lance Leipold, has some of the right keys in his hand already.

Sure, this isn’t the most eye-appealing matchup, but if it does happen, no one will be complaining.' 

Can anyone tell me when Leipold started doing double duty? Ha Ha!

I’ve heard rumblings from players like Segu and Williams on Twitter that the team has received word that they will be playing Syracuse this year, just rumors but it’s a good option for a non conference game 

4 hours ago, Dabulls said:

I’ve heard rumblings from players like Segu and Williams on Twitter that the team has received word that they will be playing Syracuse this year, just rumors but it’s a good option for a non conference game 

Interesting.  That would be a  big one.  And I have to assume there will be no fans.  Wonder if they will still play at the dome?  That would be eerily quiet without fans.

11 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Based upon comments Friday evening on the UB Horns Up zoom call, it is possible that both men's and women's schedules will be released this week.

Do we know how many conference/out of conference games? What about approximately when the season will start? 

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

The NCAA is allowing games as of November 25.  I think it is 5 out of conference and 20 MAC games.

With 5 out of conference games I'll guess it will be a combination of the following

Canisius

Niagara 

St. Bonnie

Syracuse

Stoney Brooke

Albany

Binghamton

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

With 5 out of conference games I'll guess it will be a combination of the following

Canisius

Niagara 

St. Bonnie

Syracuse

Stoney Brooke

Albany

Binghamton

A couple of other teams I would like in the mix are Siena and Colgate.  Both of these would likely be a good ooc game.

3 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Canisius

Niagara 

St. Bonnie

Syracuse

Stoney Brooke

Albany

Binghamton

I wouldn't be surprised at Army.  We have played them before.  They are a safe bet as they have the campus locked down and they would be a good game to get acclimated to play with.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:57 PM, MKBullsfan said:

A bit unrelated but has anyone heard how practice is going? How are the new players looking? Chanse Robinson? Any early buzz around the team individually? I’ll hang up and listen...

Chance will be the new Davonta Jordan type player. Chance is just a bit more athletic in terms of would basketball players refer to as “bunnies”, man is a high flyer. Has a decent mid range game but needs to work on three point and foul shots

Just now, Dabulls said:

Chance will be the new Davonta Jordan type player. Chance is just a bit more athletic in terms of would basketball players refer to as “bunnies”, man is a high flyer. Has a decent mid range game but needs to work on three point and foul shots

What* not would

15 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

That's a nice one.

I think Vermont is rebuilding, right?  But Iona might be good with the Slimeball of a coach they now have.

I agree this should provide some entertaining games.  Per a couple of different polls - Vermont is ranked in mid 70's.    Only ranking I see for Iona is around 300 - but as you say - the current coach might be able to get more out of them.  Iona has  a 7'1" JUCO transfer that average about 11 ppg and shoots the 3 at 30% - should be interesting to see how Skogman matches up with him.

27 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree this should provide some entertaining games.  Per a couple of different polls - Vermont is ranked in mid 70's.    Only ranking I see for Iona is around 300 - but as you say - the current coach might be able to get more out of them.  Iona has  a 7'1" JUCO transfer that average about 11 ppg and shoots the 3 at 30% - should be interesting to see how Skogman matches up with him.

Iona is always tough no matter their record. They play physical and like to get the ball in the paint, this could be a tough test for our big guys

19 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Ah, okay, I guess UVM didn't lose as much to graduation as I thought.