Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kanye Jones (G - 2021)

Jeseph

9 hours ago, 961819 said:

Very close friends with Rondo. Could end up being yet another commit for our unofficial recruiter Coach Segu 

Yep, Orlando connection also I think with Rondo's trainer.

It's crazy to think that this class is Rondo's last chance to help recruit guys for his SENIOR year. Time certainly flies.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Dabulls said:

Kanye will announce his commitment in the next day or so, Rivals has UB in his top six school interests along with Elon, Charleston, Drake, Charleston Southern and Cleveland state. Holds 16 offers with some interest from Virginia Tech and Xavier 

This is a big moment for us in a summer of low activity. By most accounts he has established himself as one of the better second-tier scorers available for 2021. The list of offers isn't intimidating, maybe ETSU, Drexel, and Charleston stand out. Hoping Rondo's recruiting pitch can make the difference. 

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

I'm thinking there might be an extra year given to all current athletes and the incoming class. 

This is much more complicated than you think.  If people stay for an extra year, how many new scholarships can you bring in?  Do you have extra scholarships for 5 years? Do people automatically get a 6thyear to play their 4th season?  Depending on the answers this can be brutally expensive.

Also why are the students at any school?  Are they there to get a degree and possibly start a masters or are they there to stay "forever" and to play a sport?  I am in the degree column.  How many of the students need another to show they can go pro?  If after 4/5 years they do not know, that 6th year is not going to get them noticed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

This is much more complicated than you think.  If people stay for an extra year, how many new scholarships can you bring in?  Do you have extra scholarships for 5 years? Do people automatically get a 6thyear to play their 4th season?  Depending on the answers this can be brutally expensive.

Also why are the students at any school?  Are they there to get a degree and possibly start a masters or are they there to stay "forever" and to play a sport?  I am in the degree column.  How many of the students need another to show they can go pro?  If after 4/5 years they do not know, that 6th year is not going to get them noticed.

Might have to do something. High School sports are getting postponed and canceled as well. There might be an incoming class that hasn't played in well over a year. It is a big complicated mess. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Followed the C of C coach to BC after all. ACC is quite a jump from CAA, interested to see what he does at that level. I had hoped Rondo's connection/clout would help land him. This is the last class for him to lure a couple teammates out of his 145k Twitter followers.

6 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Followed the C of C coach to BC after all. ACC is quite a jump from CAA, interested to see what he does at that level.

In situations like this where a coach jumps from a smaller conference to a bigger one, he will bring recruits along with him bc he doesn’t have the clout to bring in higher caliber players just yet. So he just wants to fill a recruiting class. Example...Nate Oats. Took Rojas and the big man (I am forgetting his name, Hawkins right?) with him. Rojas is a small role player and the big man has since transferred. What Oats was able to do was keep the players he inherited at Bama. Guys like Petty.

• Like 1

UB has been rated higher (per kenpom) than BC in 9 of the past 10 seasons, including 4 trips to the NCAAs, 1 trip to the NIT, and another post season trip with Reggie. BC has had 1 trip to the NIT under Cristian in that span. Kid went to a better conference but a bad program. Will Regan was a bench warmer at UVA, but a good player at UB. Molson was a stud at Canisius, but a role player at Seton Hall...and now he’s looking for somewhere over the rainbow. Good luck. The Bulls have gotten lucky with some 4th year transfers. Josh Freelove, Wes Clark...maybe Jack

Got to get some good young guys in. I would be very leery of any players from multiple programs.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

commits to UB!!!!

Average 1.8 ppg as a freshman only playing around nine minutes a game. That might not seem impressive but he was playing in the ACC. I see this as a sneaky good pickup, since he is still young he will develop along with our younger players. Could be another Mballa type transfer but just with a guard

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

Bannnnnng! [Mike Breen voice]

Rondo's Orlando little bro. Great pickup. We got guards!

Kanye is a really good player, I’m hoping people on here don’t put him down because his stats. Still really young and has ton of potential. Kind of like Blocker

• Like 1

Different kind of players but for reference Kamari Williams averaged 2.6 PPG as a sophomore at BC then averaged 6 PPG last year at Miami. He was looking a lot better by the end of the year and put 11 and 12 up against us in our second meeting

Also the second time we’ve recently got a kid down transferring from a high major that we were after hard in HS (Hardnett). Could become more prevalent over the coming years

Edited by trueblue32

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I like this pickup. Now let’s get Skogman back in the food.

I don’t want to read too much into social media but he and Isaiah Adams followed each other. At least it’s a sign that he’s in the fold with recruits that were on campus. Sometimes kids pack up and leave as soon as they hit the portal

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 3