Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

4 hours ago, Erie County said:

if you actually read what I said you would get it better "they are going to be juniors athletically per the free year" 

Ohio will get a 2nd and 3rd year to run it back from this year. They can also recruit. Something UB hasn't done under this regime 

If you think Preston is spending 2 more years at Ohio well I have a bridge you may be interested in purchasing. 

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

MAC West schools are a mess. It’s imperative we beat them every time we play them next season.

The entire conference is a mess right now besides Ohio and UB in #2

Ohio

Buffalo

Rest of MAC

Edited by NYS Bulls
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NYS Bulls said:

The entire conference is a mess right now besides Ohio and UB in #2

Ohio

Buffalo

Rest of MAC

Is Ohio really that far ahead of UB? We beat them in conference play and finished ahead of them going into the tournament. They got hot at a good time. Preston and vanderplas and good, but so are Mballa and Williams. We did lose Graves tho and I don’t think they graduated anyone so that could tip the scales 

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

Is Ohio really that far ahead of UB? We beat them in conference play and finished ahead of them going into the tournament. They got hot at a good time. Preston and vanderplas and good, but so are Mballa and Williams. We did lose Graves tho and I don’t think they graduated anyone so that could tip the scales 

They also won a game in the NCAA tournament and then went and (re)added another scoring threat in Carter. I think we can say that they're solidly in better shape at this point.

We won't "know" this until we face them next year but the eye test tips the scale pretty easily in their favor IMO

32 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

They also won a game in the NCAA tournament and then went and (re)added another scoring threat in Carter. I think we can say that they're solidly in better shape at this point.

We won't "know" this until we face them next year but the eye test tips the scale pretty easily in their favor IMO

They lose nothing and gained Jason Carter. Scale is in their favor by a lot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UB05 said:

I have to imagine Preston enters the portal. His name is on the radar, teams definitely know who he is, and I think if he enters, he’s gonna get major offers. If he does leave, that will knock them down a few pegs.

5 hours ago, UB05 said:

Echoing what others have said, as constituted...yes. Preston is a matchup nightmare for us. We have no one who can guard him. Segu can’t bc of the height difference. Graves couldn’t and he’s gone. Everything they do plays off him. They have better spot up shooters. And a bulldog inside too. Both teams aren’t particularly deep but Ohio gets a boost from Carter. They may have the better coach. And right now the X factor is they are the hot name. Meaning they can use that in recruiting. We aren’t too far off but yes they are currently better. Hopefully it all means a collision course next March.

We still have several open roster spots (as do others). Can't we just wait until the rosters are filled before anointing anyone as king yet? What if we sign another Mballa (or similar damage maker at guard)? Who really knows what will happen? As of this moment,  of course Ohio appears to be the favorite,  since they won in Cleveland and return most of the squad and a strong addition. The preseason favorite in this league doesn't always come out on top anyhow.

They're not the early 90s UNLV squad or this year's Gonzaga (or even 2019 Buffalo for that matter). 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

We still have several open roster spots (as do others). Can't we just wait until the rosters are filled before anointing anyone as king yet? What if we sign another Mballa (or similar damage maker at guard)? Who really knows what will happen? As of this moment,  of course Ohio appears to be the favorite,  since they won in Cleveland and return most of the squad and a strong addition. The preseason favorite in this league doesn't always come out on top anyhow.

They're not the early 90s UNLV squad or this year's Gonzaga (or even 2019 Buffalo for that matter). 

Love your ongoing positivity. Giving Jim the benefit of the doubt is the right take. But it wasn’t so long ago we dealt with Reggie ball and recruiting. I have absolutely no idea how recruiting will turn out. I hope for the best. And I fear the worst which is the Reggie recruiting record of having open spots this time of year and not being able to find top MAC level talent. 

49 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

Remember when we beat them by like 20 plus on their home floor a few weeks before the title game? What happened with Preston in that game?

Just to play devils advocate...they were coming off a covid pause and that was the third game in less than a week. Yes I know we played 3 games in a week too but the point is look at Baylor...they lost mojo off their covid pause. It’s fair to say that Ohio wasn’t fully in game shape. 

Devils advocate again: when we played them in the MAC finals we were the tired team so it wasn’t our best effort. So put those two games aside and the difference was a one point loss at home against them. Hopefully it’s a collision course next year.

10 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Love your ongoing positivity. Giving Jim the benefit of the doubt is the right take. But it wasn’t so long ago we dealt with Reggie ball and recruiting. I have absolutely no idea how recruiting will turn out. I hope for the best. And I fear the worst which is the Reggie recruiting record of having open spots this time of year and not being able to find top MAC level talent. 

2 years ago they had open spots at this time (5 of them) and brought in Mballa,  Hardnett and Skogman. If we can see that type of trio (hopefully including a guard or two) we should be pleased. 

1 minute ago, skrabukes said:

2 years ago they had open spots at this time (5 of them) and brought in Mballa,  Hardnett and Skogman. If we can see that type of trio (hopefully including a guard or two) we should be pleased. 

Love this take, we are still a top 100 team in the nation. There are over 1000 names in the portal and we are out there looking. I say let’s be patient and start to judge when we hit the court next season. Let’s remember that CJ only held one offer and turned into one of UB’s best players. We could find a diamond in the rough somewhere 

15 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

That's a 1.75 player haul. Hopefully they do better than that. 

Factor in the 0-fer in 2020 and there is cause for concern 

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

That’s not necessarily a good example. UB coming off historic season finishing #16 in the country. As you know and we’ve discussed good will and positive momentum hard to build but easily lost. Hopefully your best case scenario happens. I’ll be thrilled if it does. 

1 hour ago, Dabulls said:

Love this take, we are still a top 100 team in the nation. There are over 1000 names in the portal and we are out there looking. I say let’s be patient and start to judge when we hit the court next season. Let’s remember that CJ only held one offer and turned into one of UB’s best players. We could find a diamond in the rough somewhere 

Hope springs eternal. Let’s go! Get ‘ER done and give us all reason to dance in the streets.