Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

A 2 star but Top 10 in the state? That doesn't seem to jive with the talent in that state. Some of these rankings are seriously flawed or just weirdly presented. Not sure exactly. Devin Ceasar still doesn't show up as anything on 247, but VC shows him as a 2 star. In any case, get guys with talent and high upside and cultivate it with the right system. I'm not enamored with rankings. I see lots of 4 and 5 star guys that go to P5 school and are complete duds, so nobody really knows what a kid will be when he's 16 and 17 to project him at 21 and 22 years old.

I agree less important to focus on rank.  I more included profile to show schools that offered, which also requires some judgment in interpretation.  I guess we will see over next few years if he is next LCJ.

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree less important to focus on rank.  I more included profile to show schools that offered, which also requires some judgment in interpretation.  I guess we will see over next few years if he is next LCJ.

I also like to remind people of 2 of our best ever: Kahlil Mack and CJ Massinburg. I don't believe either had stars and minimal interest from D1 school. I like to see those diamonds in the rough succeed. Truly Buffalo. Go Bulls!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

image.png.f916a4dafa392877e8767cfe7a156328.png

Kenpom's preseason projections.  Has us slipping to the 13th best conference, thanks to a particularly bad bottom of the conference this season.  Huge drop off from Kent at 143 to Ball at 260

In addition to Ball State dropping to 260, Kenpom's view of the top is slightly reduced from last year as top 4 were  74 to 112 last year and 94 to 137 this year.  I am thinking UB and Ohio exceed these expectations, and they should be battling out for chance to represent MAC in NCAA tournament in March.  

image.png.f6fa1da98728b7048a42337bae1c1a7c.png

Edited by DocCas86

15 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Ohio's Dwight Wilson III who scored 14.5 ppg last year is out at least until January - according to what I read he had ACL surgery June / July.  Tough blow for them -  Carter will have to step up.  Still think they will be tough draw regardless.

Big early season blow. He is a physical presence. 

On 10/26/2021 at 12:39 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Big early season blow. He is a physical presence. 

Might not be alone ... both of Kent State's SEC transfers (win from Georgia and post from Vanderbilt) have yet to practice due to unspecified injuries. At least one, and possibly both were projected starters.

40 minutes ago, Slim said:

Might not be alone ... both of Kent State's SEC transfers (win from Georgia and post from Vanderbilt) have yet to practice due to unspecified injuries. At least one, and possibly both were projected starters.

I wish there was internet in NE Ohio so we could try to decipher illegible posts on a Kent forum to get more news on this...

• Haha 3

SI released their preseason rankings of every team in the country.

84 - UB
98 - Ohio
100 - Toledo
130 - Kent St
145 - Akron
175 - BG
188 - Ball St
195 - Miami
225 - Central Michigan
271 - Northern Illinois
281 - Eastern Michigan
294 - Western Michigan

Also for the hell of it - #68 Western Kentucky and #265 MTSU

• Like 5

Here is bit more on the pre-season rankings using Massey Composite with a few additions (total of 9 rankings).  I have set overall MAC ranking based on the median of three ranking sites, Kenpom, Barttorvik and Massey as this has been fairly predictive of final rank over the past 4 years.  Here is summary of rankings:

image.thumb.png.3363912a0c28883533ee89ba909f8de6.png

The rankings suggest the MAC will be fairly competitive for top 7 teams, with Buffalo, Ohio and Toledo competing for top spots.  I do feel that they have underestimated UB.  Here is chart showing historic predictability of the median (MAS, POM, TRK and SAG) - showing that overall they have slightly underestimated MAC in general, but with relatively high R-squared:

image.png.b833e3b2707ddbd5ab9a9f532d4b164b.png

• Like 1