Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

Haha holy s*** that is crazy news. Returns not only to his home state, but hometown. The MAC should have a guy drafted in 3 straight years now.

My old nickname for Perk, "The Ypsilanti Goon," isn't as fun and carefree anymore with what Heath is putting together there. 

Just now, MuchMany said:

Haha holy s*** that is crazy news. Returns not only to his home state, but hometown. The MAC should have a guy drafted in 3 straight years now.

My old nickname for Perk, "The Ypsilanti Goon," isn't as fun and carefree anymore with what Heath is putting together there. 

Unless he averages 25+ he won’t get drafted, he’s known to be a locker room cancer. However it’s great to see talent like that in the MAC

45 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Unless he averages 25+ he won’t get drafted, he’s known to be a locker room cancer. However it’s great to see talent like that in the MAC

If he scores 15 and plays hard all year, he'll absolutely be one of 60 players drafted next June. Way too much natural talent and the NBA has worked around far more challenging personalities. 

I'd offer to put a wager on it, but the guy welched on my Skogman transfer bet so I'm wary. 😂

Edited by MuchMany

44 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

He'd fit right in at EMU then, considering how they've been in recent history. Quite a talent though. We shall see

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

If he scores 15 and plays hard all year, he'll absolutely be one of 60 players drafted next June. Way too much natural talent and the NBA has worked around far more challenging personalities. 

I'd offer to put a wager on it, but the guy welched on my Skogman transfer bet so I'm wary. 😂

EMU looks scary on paper. I’m hoping Bates does well and gets drafted, it’s great for the MAC. It’s just hard for me to see scouts taking him as seriously since he is playing at a “lower level”. He might not even be there top scorer with Farrakhan there 

16 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I think its safe to say rankings wise, it's THE best. 

You're definitely correct based on the modern era and no one comes close. Most of these recruiting services have only been around for a few decades though.

Would like to mention Ohio had a Parade All American and National High School player of the year in their 1972 class. Impossible to compare era's but it’s arguable that Walter Luckett is the top high school recruit to commit to a MAC program (non-transfer situation).

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

17 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He’ll dominate the ppg for EMU. Raise his stock for one season and bounce to the draft or portal. Will be an interesting case study to see how a player of his ranking could elevate a dormant mac team. Or will he average 22 ppg and they go nowhere.

Agree, he will get his points and EMU will be tough on any given night.  However, I am not sure that EMU has enough complimentary talent to take home the MAC championship.  They will certainly give teams fits.  FWIW, here is an overview of what barttorvik.com thinks.  I think they are a bit on the low side regarding EMU's prospects, but we will see.

image.png.078c40bada0f4ddf740bd26c5ee710ce.png

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This is what hiring a coach with pedigree can do for you. Instantly toward the top of the MAC with all the players who have left. But they were able to fill with big names. 

Hopefully the coach can bring the names (any potential egos) together to play together. Otherwise you have big names playing one-on-one street ball. That type of play only goes so far. If they play well, then EMU can go back to the basement once their coach gets snapped up in the off-season.

38 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Hopefully the coach can bring the names (any potential egos) together to play together. Otherwise you have big names playing one-on-one street ball. That type of play only goes so far. If they play well, then EMU can go back to the basement once their coach gets snapped up in the off-season.

"One-on-one street ball" - like our team this past year? We were essentially a one-on-one isolation offense the entire season. 

20 minutes ago, clodney said:

"One-on-one street ball" - like our team this past year? We were essentially a one-on-one isolation offense the entire season. 

Exactly...and it didn't work out for us

I'm hoping this year will be back more of a team mentality where we don't have to cater to specific players to "do their thing" and play a cohesive brand of basketball.

I give credit to Heath for bringing in the players, especially Bates.  However, I do think that the UB staff did bring in solid players, as well.  The primary difference is Bates.  We did have more to replace, so overall, we added more talented players.  Here is a comparison of the newcomers.  Again it will be what is done with the talent.  Both coaches will have challenges getting them to play cohesively with one another.

Curious - since Legend Geeter did not play last year - I could not get an impact on EMU roster from barttorvik.com roster cast.  Any thoughts as to what he is capable of? He had some decent offers, but a lot were MAC caliber teams.

image.png.0e26b30f82091552cddec79bac7110c5.png

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Exactly...and it didn't work out for us

I'm hoping this year will be back more of a team mentality where we don't have to cater to specific players to "do their thing" and play a cohesive brand of basketball.

For the past 3 seasons we've watched Buffalo basketball become less and less team oriented, but perhaps that was because the only way Whitesell could get Jeenathan, Segu, and Mballa to stick around was by letting them run the show on their own. Maybe the new guard will be different and these kids will bring back the old style that won us championships. I'm not holding my breath.

A combined 7.8 PPG from Georgetown and Duquesne transfers who would have been mid and bottom tier MAC teams respectively last year is not scary lol. Farrakhan is a PG who had a negative assist to turnover ratio (after not playing on a bad ECU team the year before) and it’s not an accident that Bates is going to the MAC with his baggage. They’re an exciting team for people that consume basketball through Instagram highlights but I don’t think they even contend for a bye, granted I don’t know that it’s a guarantee that we do either

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, MuchMany said:

His lawyer is saying the car and gun were not his, so we'll have to see how this proceeds. Either way, it doesn't seem like moving back home to Ypsi has been a positive influence on him. 

What a shame and potential waste of talent and opportunity.