Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

1 hour ago, Ivantheturrible said:

Looking forward to the EMU/Michigan game later too

EMU is the Bates and Farrakhan show. Bates is super talented. Talks trash too. You can see him trying to be a leader to his teammates. The potential is there for him to carry EMU far in the MAC. 

Entertaining first half of basketball. Both teams getting at it. Good stuff.

Edited by DooleyBull06

7 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

EMU is the Bates and Farrakhan show. Bates is super talented. Talks trash too. You can see him trying to be a leader to his teammates. The potential is there for him to carry EMU far in the MAC. 

Entertaining first half of basketball. Both teams getting at it. Good stuff.

Lost by five to Michigan and Bates scores 30...agree with you, Bates makes EMU a very dangerous team.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Lost by five to Michigan and Bates scores 30...agree with you, Bates makes EMU a very dangerous team.

My cousin outdueled him with 31 😎. Hell of a game at Little Caesars in downtown Detroit, great crowd. 

Circle February 7th on the calendar when EMU is scheduled to visit Alumni. Should be fun having a star the level of Bates in the MAC for a year. Maybe Roddy Gayle will get homesick and transfer back home for next season 😂.

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

My cousin outdueled him with 31 😎. Hell of a game at Little Caesars in downtown Detroit, great crowd. 

Circle February 7th on the calendar when EMU is scheduled to visit Alumni. Should be fun having a star the level of Bates in the MAC for a year. Maybe Roddy Gayle will get homesick and transfer back home for next season 😂.

Dickinson was a beast down low. Both teams played at a high level. That game while only a 5 point margin was closer than that. If Bates and Farrakhan bring that level of energy every night in conference play EMU will be a top seed. Alumni should be popping when they come to town. He’s a legit lottery pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohio led by as many as nine points and had a 61-55 lead at U4 timeout before things unraveled. Bobcats roster full of transfers and young freshman. Dwight Wilson III is back for his final year of eligibility and was an absolute beast tonight. Rest of team is trying to figure out their identity. Has the feel of Kent/Akron where they might struggle a little bit to open the season before figuring things out in MAC play.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

Not a good Tuesday for the MAC as MBB were 0-5 with 4 of the 5 losses by 11+.  Two particularly bad ones were the Emoni Bates-led EMU losing to Purdue-Fort Wayne (#166 Kenpom) by 7, and Toledo by 11 to #198 ECU (who’s 1 slot ahead of UB at #199).

This tells me the MAC is just as up and down as the Bulls are thus far, and maybe we’re not that far behind the top 4 teams. But realistically I can’t see more than 9 or 10 MAC wins until this team shows more consistency and ability to put teams away. 

Edited by Bluebird96

22 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Not a good Tuesday for the MAC as MBB were 0-5 with 4 of the 5 losses by 11+.  Two particularly bad ones were the Emoni Bates-led EMU losing to Purdue-Fort Wayne (#166 Kenpom) by 7 at home, and Toledo by 11 at home to #198 ECU (who’s 1 slot ahead of UB at #199).

This tells me the MAC is just as up and down as the Bulls are thus far, and maybe we’re not that far behind the top 4 teams. But realistically I can’t see more than 9 or 10 MAC wins until this team shows more consistency and ability to put teams away. 

It will be interesting to see how/if EMU progresses.  Bates seems to be living up to his press, 21 ppg.  But thus far this hasn't really led to success for EMU (#302 Kenpom).  As for Toledo, two bad games in a row, but I think they will be their typical, strong in MAC regular season and falter in Cleveland.

I was thinking 10 wins in MAC prior to season, and the play thus far, I still feel 9 to 10 wins.  However, they have been so inconsistent, it is still very hard to predict.  The rest of the ooc will hopefully give a bit more clarity, but I am not counting on it.

Edited by DocCas86

8 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

But thus far this hasn't really led to success for EMU (#302 Kenpom). 

Didn’t realize EMU was rated so low by Kenpom. So maybe it wasn’t fair to call a 7-pt loss to #166 a bad loss. Just surprising Bates’ presence and solid play hasn’t exactly paid off for them yet. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird96 said:

Didn’t realize EMU was rated so low by Kenpom. So maybe it wasn’t fair to call a 7-pt loss to #166 a bad loss. Just surprising Bates’ presence and solid play hasn’t exactly paid off for them yet. 

I think we all agree that 1 player does not make a team. Even if he scores 50 a game and everyone else sucks, they will lose.

1 hour ago, Bluebird96 said:

They followed it up with 14 PT loss to #210 Winthrop today.   They didn't play much D today, gave up 101 points.

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Kent St took Houston down to the wire on the road and really got screwed by a no foul call that would’ve sent them to the line with a chance to take the lead with under 30 seconds or so. 

Just looked at box score, either some really good defense or really poor shooting from both teams in that game.

Edited by DocCas86

2 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

EMU’s only win came in their first game which Bates didn’t play in. 

Sometimes having 1 superstar allows everyone else to stand around and watch. Not sure he is going to bring them to the promise land. He’s also had a lot of issues that would lead you to believe he not be a great leader. We will see how it plays out for them 

15 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

EMU’s only win came in their first game which Bates didn’t play in. 

Interesting. Also to the point made by @UBinMDin the game against Michigan they played with focus and effort. And I saw abates trying to lead. But to me it’s gonna come down to the effort day in and day out in the dogs days of February. Or will they just turn it on in March and he carry’s them. 

7 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

EMU finally got their 2nd W tonight vs FIU (#235 Kenpom). Bates went for 26, and Farrakhan 25. Scary talented duo that’s bound to make things interesting in the MAC. 

Curtis Jones gets much less hype and has averaged 22/game the last 3 weeks. I’ll keep Curt.

• Like 1